cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Survey-- City Water vs pump

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just curious how people supply their water.... fist a little background story.
Several years ago we were walking back to our RV and I saw water pouring out of the door of another RV. As I was running up to the camper, someone else was also heading that way and got to the water spigot first and turned it off. The owners were not there, I can only imagine what they found when they returned.

So, while connected to city water, if we leave the RV for more than a several minutes, I turn off the city water.

Others I have talked to like to fill the onboard tank and then exclusively use the pump to supply water , turning on the city water supply only when refilling the tank.

What do you do ?
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
32 REPLIES 32

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing that makes me worry about water pressure surge is one time we had our reverse flow valve for the blank tank washout, get destroyed when I turned the water on too fast. It was a 90ยฐ ball valve and since I was just hooked up to the blank tank flush, I didn't worry about blowing a line, but it blew the reverse flow preventer completely apart. Granted, they are just plastic, but so are most of my water lines. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I really like the idea of the solenoid shutting the water off when not needed. But I would be a bit concerned about the sudden increase in water pressure when the solenoid activates every time. When I attach the hose to the faucet, I turn the water on slowly so there are no sudden pressure surges. Activating the solenoid several times a day seems like you're introducing a lot of pressure surges.
I've never noticed a surge. What I do notice sometimes (barely) is the hum from the solenoid - open = 120 volt power on. You could always add a water hammer arrestor.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like the idea of the solenoid shutting the water off when not needed. But I would be a bit concerned about the sudden increase in water pressure when the solenoid activates every time. When I attach the hose to the faucet, I turn the water on slowly so there are no sudden pressure surges. Activating the solenoid several times a day seems like you're introducing a lot of pressure surges.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
.............While sleeping a fitting gave way on WH Tank Hot out. FLOODED living room, kitchen, and on slide out........

I hooked up a valve to mine that's on a timer. There's 4 wireless buttons in the RV that if you push one, the valve opens for 15 minutes then closes again. Every time you press any button, the clock starts over. When we're gone, the water is automatically off.
Hmmm...

Below is the solenoid valve I installed. Easy to do and takes up little space. A timer switch in the kitchen and bathroom is a good idea. Having the water off all the time and only on when you need it makes sense.

A timer could be done using an adjustable time delay relay and momentary contact switch on the wall to activate it.

Too many stories out there of water flooding inside when you're not inside or asleep. I sense another mod coming up. ๐Ÿ™‚

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Every time you press any button...

Which one is the "any" button..............
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
.............While sleeping a fitting gave way on WH Tank Hot out. FLOODED living room, kitchen, and on slide out........

I hooked up a valve to mine that's on a timer. There's 4 wireless buttons in the RV that if you push one, the valve opens for 15 minutes then closes again. Every time you press any button, the clock starts over. When we're gone, the water is automatically off.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Same as doxiemom11: We use city water when there is a water hookup, tank and pump if there isn't.

On city water...

I always hook up a Watts water pressure regulator.

I always hook up my 2 stage ClearSource RV Water Filter system.

I always run drinking water through our Berkey.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use city water when there is a water hookup, tank and pump if there isn't. We actually prefer city hookup. Don't have to listen to that pump every time you turn the water on.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I use both. At the seasonal I use the campground water exclusively.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pump, To answer your question I only use the pump. Then I just refill the tank.

But, I have a 26 year old TT and I am just a weekend camper that stays close to home. I don't trust my plumbing system good enough to use the full hookup water system.

I turn the pump on when I am using it then shut it back off. No worries that way.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I use whichever is available. If campground has water hookup I use it. If no hook up I use the tank.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually the hose bib BUT I always use a pressure regulator.

I have had two lines burst before I got religion. We were in the RV waking up both times.

I heard water running in the bathroom though it was DW looked over and she was still sleeping. Weird thing was that coach was lumber for a washer. Which wasnโ€™t there. The 90 you would screw the valves into had a plug screwed in and it developed a crack across he mold mark.

The other time it was a HWH flex hose.

If leaving all day I turn off bib and leave pump on for ice.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
100% tank all the time. Unlike others, no bad experience...but I've ready of plenty other bad experiences, so that's enough for me. Pressure is better (more consistent) running on the pump anyway. Every evening, I top off the tank.

Ditto. Make sure your overflow line is not plugged when filling with water, or if you can watch the water level as it fills. Don't ask me how I know.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Never use my tank unless unless no hookups.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU