cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage

Retired_VSP
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if I decide to leave my motorhome idle in an rv resort if there are any cons to doing this. It will be for approximately 3 months during the winter at HHI in South Carolina approximately 10 hours from our home in Virginia. I have always had it within arms reach in my driveway and now my wife and I are deciding whether or not to purchase an rv lot. I'm leary not being able to routinely exercise the gen and other minor maintenance issues.

My wife wants to do this but I'm not all in. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Bobby and Lynda
Retired VSP and High School Counselor, respectively
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value".....Albert Einstein
10 REPLIES 10

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Farmboy666 wrote:
I don’t understand your statement “pity your poor wife if that’s how you treat her” ...

If you don't understand "Why don't you just tell here that, end of conversation" then there's not much I can do to help you understand how offensive many women would find that statement. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Retired VSP wrote:
I'm wondering if I decide to leave my motorhome idle in an rv resort if there are any cons to doing this.

My wife wants to do this but I'm not all in. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

SoundGuy wrote:
I'm in a similar situation, 'though certainly not 10 hrs away. My wife has been complaining for years about keeping the trailer here at the house during the camping season but the convenience of doing so can't be denied, whether for maintenance or simply preparing for the next outing. This year she finally got her way and we're storing about 40 minutes from here at a local conservation area where we sometimes also camp. Frankly, it's a PITA and I'm far from being "all in".

Farmboy666 wrote:
Why don't you just tell here that, end of conversation. I'm so glad I have a wife that doesn't complain or question my decisions.

I could just as easily say pity your poor wife if that's how you treat her. 😞

I don’t understand your statement “pity your poor wife if that’s how you treat her” It’s not like I’m beating her, I take care of the RV and if being at the house is a better way to do that she’s not going to complain about it. You want it at the house and your wife doesn’t so she complains, my wife is understanding enough not to complain. So I guess you get my pity for being treat like that.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why this is an either-or scenario.

If you could find an rv storage facility close to home, you needn't leave it in your driveway nor leave it 10 hours away from your home.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I left my old 5th wheel at the campground near Myrtle Beach (Willowtree) over the winter. We had planned on one more trip south but I took sick and we couldn't go. It was never winterized but we got off lucky with no plumbing issues.

The next season we went stayed awhile I started to tow it home. Less than 1/2 an hour on the road the front drivers side gelcoat blew completely off all the way back to the window. We had a small leak and water got in behind. It had also gone through two small hurricanes / tropical storms while stored. Lots and lots of rain.

I said right there and then I would never store it that far away again. The farthest my new one from me is when I store it an hour and a 1/2 away in an underground mine over the winter.

The storage facility at Willowtree was first rate and very secure. It was nice to drive all the way there and just hook up and enjoy but I just don't feel good about having it that far away especially with the new one.

I don't know if you are paying to store it now but maybe find a place a little closer to home as a compromise. During the camping season mine is only 10 minutes away at a very nice storage yard.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired VSP wrote:
I'm wondering if I decide to leave my motorhome idle in an rv resort if there are any cons to doing this.

SoundGuy wrote:
I'm in a similar situation, 'though certainly not 10 hrs away. My wife has been complaining for years about keeping the trailer here at the house during the camping season but the convenience of doing so can't be denied, whether for maintenance or simply preparing for the next outing. This year she finally got her way and we're storing about 40 minutes from here at a local conservation area where we sometimes also camp. Frankly, it's a PITA and I'm far from being "all in".

Farmboy666 wrote:
Why don't you just tell here that, end of conversation. I'm so glad I have a wife that doesn't complain or question my decisions.

I could just as easily say pity your poor wife if that's how you treat her. 😞

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Retired VSP wrote:
I'm wondering if I decide to leave my motorhome idle in an rv resort if there are any cons to doing this. It will be for approximately 3 months during the winter at HHI in South Carolina approximately 10 hours from our home in Virginia. I have always had it within arms reach in my driveway and now my wife and I are deciding whether or not to purchase an rv lot. I'm leary not being able to routinely exercise the gen and other minor maintenance issues.

I have left a RV on my seasonal lot up North for twelve years without a issue. It's 900 miles from my house to the RV. Has worked very well for me. I also keep a 5th wheel and TT at home for aditional trips of a winter. Never had a issue with the Onan leaving it all winter. People there have become like family to me and we watch out for each other.

Might not be for everyone but works extremely well for me.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Retired VSP wrote:

I'm in a similar situation, 'though certainly not 10 hrs away. My wife has been complaining for years about keeping the trailer here at the house during the camping season but the convenience of doing so can't be denied, whether for maintenance or simply preparing for the next outing. This year she finally got her way and we're storing about 40 minutes from here at a local conservation area where we sometimes also camp. Frankly, it's a PITA and I'm far from being "all in". This is going to cause me great stress but I'm getting close to insisting we either keep it here as we always have or get out of the sport entirely. I know that some, because of their situation, don't have a choice ... we do, and IMO we should be keeping it here at the house.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Retired VSP wrote:

Since your retired it sounds like a good reason to tell the wife you'll be gone for a few days a month to check on the camper. Two birds.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
You said rv lot...several people leave their rv at our park in Yuma and live in northern states. Many near great lakes or couple in Toronto. Many Over the years with large rv's have picked up a van and enjoy making their way down boondock camping all the way down. When they do get south they really enjoy the size of "large" rv compared to their van. We don't leave ours because in our travels We visit our family all the way down coast.

People that leave them usually leave something in window like alarm clock so who ever is checking on them knows elec is on and ok.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired VSP wrote:

I'm in a similar situation, 'though certainly not 10 hrs away. My wife has been complaining for years about keeping the trailer here at the house during the camping season but the convenience of doing so can't be denied, whether for maintenance or simply preparing for the next outing. This year she finally got her way and we're storing about 40 minutes from here at a local conservation area where we sometimes also camp. Frankly, it's a PITA and I'm far from being "all in". This is going to cause me great stress but I'm getting close to insisting we either keep it here as we always have or get out of the sport entirely. I know that some, because of their situation, don't have a choice ... we do, and IMO we should be keeping it here at the house.