cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

snowbird advice needed

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
OK, this is the first year we are planning on doing the snowbird routine (Michigan/Florida) and there are a number of things that we never had to think about. We intend on winterizing our Michigan home just because even minimal heating is extremely costly. For those that have done this, or do this, what do you do with cans of paint, etc, that may or may not do well in sub-freezing temps?

This will be the first of at least a few inquiries and, I am sure we will forget some things but, all help appreciated.

Thanks.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
21 REPLIES 21

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I did exactly what you wanted for 25 years as did so many other seasonal cabin/cottage owners. For the last seven years our seasonal was our sole S&B, and we would RV in the south during the winter months.

For paints:

Varnish and enamels leave behind. Cheap Latex leave knowing it might be bad when you come back or it might be OK. Expensive Latex paints leave in a heated area with a neighbor, friend, or family member.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check with your homeowners insurance Co. about this. We found out that if our home was not inhabited at all times, it was considered "abandoned" and that would cancel the insurance...

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We're doing the Snowbird thing for the first time this year, too. We'll have a plumber winterize the house because the pressure tank and water softener live in an unheated room; and then we'll keep the heat at 50 degrees, because I don't want to have to chase down everything that could be affected (like paint and other liquids) by freezing temps. We also have a tongue-and-groove wood ceiling - I'm not sure I want to subject that to freezing temps if I don't have to. Even if we lose power, the house should be fine for a few days. I have temps and security monitoring via internet - I can send my son over to check any problems.

To help hold heat inside, I put window film up, then draw the blinds
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, to get back to your question.

All my paints are stored in the unheated barn. This is Central IL.

I won't guarantee you anything on Latex, this we keep inn the house.

Enamels and such do well in the barn.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have a converted seasonal cabin that you are able to winterize, I'd do it. I know just the type of cabin or house you are describing. I don't know about paint and liquids being allowed to freeze. You might have to ask yourself how much expense and bother are they worth?

You could make a small box in a closet or garage, and heat the items with heat cable or something like that. Or wire in one small radiant heater with a thermostat and just heat a small enclosure in the closet.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I also had to change insurance companies. The company I had said sure you can leave for the winter. When I asked them to send a short letter to me stating so, they said they couldn't do it. I then started contacting other companies who said it was not a problems but wouldn't give it to me in writing. I wonder if there aren't actually a lot of people around me in our snow belt who aren't protected because they are snowed in. Some policies state that the home has to be occupied or it falls under a much more expensive type of coverage.

It's been 3 years of coverage so i can't remember how the other policy was worded but some of the companies that I did check into stated that it had to be occupied. Too much to remember but I have the paper work with me and saved emails of our conversations.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Drain the plumbing and put RV antifreeze in the toilets and traps, BUT, leave the heat at 55 unless you like coming home to peeling paint and wallpaper.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
The cost to heat the house at 55-60 degrees isn't that much. Nobody home, no outside doors being opened. You be surprised how much savings there is in lowering the temp 10-15 degrees. Did this for a number of years with our cottage, never winterized it.

We have a WiFi thermostat that will send an email if the temp drops to 45. It will also email if the temp drops 5 degrees during a heating cycle. We have a well so turn off the pump, relieve pressure and drain all lines into basement laundry tub. Neighbors have a key and our son only lives 7 miles away. I can turn the heat up during our trip home so the house is comfortable when we arrive.

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems there are two (or more) schools of thought on this subject. We have not decided which way we would go if we were gone for extended period, but have considered a house sitter as an option..

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
mikemc53 wrote:
OK, this is the first year we are planning on doing the snowbird routine (Michigan/Florida) and there are a number of things that we never had to think about. We intend on winterizing our Michigan home just because even minimal heating is extremely costly. For those that have done this, or do this, what do you do with cans of paint, etc, that may or may not do well in sub-freezing temps?

This will be the first of at least a few inquiries and, I am sure we will forget some things but, all help appreciated.

Thanks.

Leaving the house for snowbirding--
1. I bought a security protection system from Eagle Co. which protects against breaking into my home and fire protection. The system is directly connected to a service center who will call my home. If no one answers or the person does not know the pass word, the service center will immediatly call the police. The system is hooked directly up to the fire dept. About $25 per month provides a whole lot of peace of mind.
2. Our town has an organization called VIPS (volunteers in Police Service). I can call them and give them the dates I will be gone. They will then schedule a VIPS person to come to house and check it out 1 time a day and at random times. If anything is not right at the house, they will call my cell phone and/or call the police dept. to come and investigate to make sure everything is ok and secure. The VIPS come out in a regular police car. After I return home after 4 months, the VIPS will send me a computer generated report telling me what days and what times the house has benn checked:) There is NO
Charge for this service. I always give the VIPS $200 to help the volunteers to pay for there equiptment and batteries.
Both of these services gives a whole lot of peace of mind while we are snow birding:)

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
we use to shut off our heat and drain the pipes from on home in northern michigan.

never had any damage other than a couple of nail pops.

as for paint? i always either left it in the garage or crawl space.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

meganjoe
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Obviously some disagree with me but this makes no sense to me at all. I wouldn't treat our house any differently during winter absence than I would summer absence and at the very least our insurance requires the house be checked periodically while we're away anyway. We do it for friends, they do it for us, it's just no biggie to drop by every 2 or 3 days to make sure all is well, collect any papers, flyers, mail, etc, walk through the place to make sure nothing has changed. In our most recent case something did change for friends of ours ... their adult son had dropped by their house but couldn't get the front door locked again. He texted them 3000 miles away, they texted me, and I popped over for a look - indeed the lock was shot and it took me 3 hrs of disassembly, a run to Home Depot for a new lock, and installation of the new lock. That was my favour to them, I have no doubt they'd do exactly the same for us regardless of the time of year ... just turn the heat down, turn off the water, make sure there are a few lights on timers, and walk away happily known the place will be taken care of. Winterizing an RV is one thing but I can't imagine winterizing a stick house when there's such a simple alternate solution available.

I agree 100%...

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously some disagree with me but this makes no sense to me at all. I wouldn't treat our house any differently during winter absence than I would summer absence and at the very least our insurance requires the house be checked periodically while we're away anyway. We do it for friends, they do it for us, it's just no biggie to drop by every 2 or 3 days to make sure all is well, collect any papers, flyers, mail, etc, walk through the place to make sure nothing has changed. In our most recent case something did change for friends of ours ... their adult son had dropped by their house but couldn't get the front door locked again. He texted them 3000 miles away, they texted me, and I popped over for a look - indeed the lock was shot and it took me 3 hrs of disassembly, a run to Home Depot for a new lock, and installation of the new lock. That was my favour to them, I have no doubt they'd do exactly the same for us regardless of the time of year ... just turn the heat down, turn off the water, make sure there are a few lights on timers, and walk away happily known the place will be taken care of. Winterizing an RV is one thing but I can't imagine winterizing a stick house when there's such a simple alternate solution available.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
allenm wrote:
I set the heat to 55 back home. But then I also winterize the house in case the furnace fails. I have the water dept. turn water off at meter. I turn the water main off inside house and relieve the pressure on water lines. Leave all faucets open, including outside faucets. Turn off gas water heater and drain it. Fill all traps with -35 windshield fluid.

Leave kit & bath cab doors open. Move all water based liquids to bath tubs and rubber maid tubs. That includes the garage.

About the only thing I don't take the time to do is blow out the water lines. This way I can sleep soundly knowing even if heat fails, there will be minimum to no damage back home.

This poster has it down to a science! Do all of this if you can. I remember years back my dad completely sealed of the second floor of their home to save on heat. Condensation water ran off the windows ruining the woodwork and some flooring. I wouldn't do it. It may ruin your snowbird experience. Also have someone check your home periodically if possible.
Have a great trip! Brian