cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sink Condensation

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone ever have sink condensation from having the /c set too cold?

Last week while camping, I noticed the shelf under the kitchen sink had a strong dampness, just short of what I would call being really wet. Upon closer inspection, noticed that the bottom of both of the split 60%/40% plastic sinks were wet with droplettes of water.

I wiped them dry, dried out the cabinet shelf and opened the doors of the cabinets and the problem went away. I ran water in the sinks, checked the water line fittings and all the plumbing connections and none showed any sign of water.

I was running the ac on high for the entire week and it was set about 67 and the outside temps were in the mid 80's.

Thoughts?

Do you think a coating of spray foam (to insulate them better) on the bottom of the sinks would solve this? I'm thinking because of the cooler temps hitting the tops of the sinks and the moist warmer air in the cabinet, it' causing condensation at the meeting of the two temps which is the bottoms of the sinks.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.
8 REPLIES 8

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with others that in a humid climate with 2 AC units running set low you are over cooling and not dehumidifying the space. I'd have a humidistat to see what level you have. If is indeed humid inside and out you do should use a dehumidifier. If it is only damp inside and very dry outside open a window or vent to remove indoor humidity. Condensation on a sink seems minor but as suggested it can be everywhere and cause mold in fabric, carpet, the mattress inside cabinets, in the closet, simply everywhere.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about this some more, and I have a thought and a suggestion.

For anyone with two air conditioners: it would be advisable to only use one unit whenever you can. Why? Because too much capacity means cooling down the 'dwelling' too fast, which means not enough dehumidification is taking place. The result is a cold, clammy environment that leads to people pushing down the thermostat, but that only briefly fixes the problem, if it fixes it all all. So then, push the thermostat down some more . . . and soon, you're living in sub-70 degree surroundings and you're STILL not comfortable.

Too high humidity is potentially a very damaging situation, to you as well as your dwelling. Get a humidity gage. They are cheap. Walmart probably has one for less than $10. If the humidity is regularly above 50% then this would be a good place to address your attention. If it's above 60% regularly, you've got a problem, you are inviting mold. Once mold gets started, then you must get humidity down and keep it down, as that is the only effective method of controlling mold. Better to not let it get started.

Most people are very comfortable at 74 to 76 degrees if the humidity is 50% or less. Most people can't get comfortable at any temperature if the humidity is above 70%, and they usually have respiratory issues . . . for some odd reason.

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
I'd agree with slarsen. At 67 the differential in temp is going to cause a problem with Ny moisture and limited ventilation.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the possibility that moisture under the sink is the problem not the a/c. Ventilate as you did till you find the source.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
First, I think you are making your trailer too cold. You're probably below the dew point and have moisture in more places than you think. If condensation happens in the walls, it'll start to stink. Once mold gets started, it's hard to stop. Couldn't you get by with, say, 72 degrees? Personally, I like 75-76.

If you MUST make it so cold, you would be wise to add dehumidification. You can get a cheap humidity gage at Walmart, Target or any lumber yard, and know a lot more about what you are dealing with.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our SS sinks have a neoprene type rubber that is glued to the bottom, that I am sure are there for the reasons mentioned above.

Jerry

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
Most higher end SS sinks have undercoating sprayed underneath to deaden sound, reduce condensation and retain heat. I would remove the sink mask off the mounting area and drain threads and apply a couple coats to the plastic sink. Spray foam could be applied the same way but I've never had any luck without getting it all over everything as it expands.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
I think your theory is pretty sound. As cheap as a can of spray foam is, it would be worth a try.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.