cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seems Like a Waste

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
I know it shouldn’t bother me but it does. This RV has been sitting on the storage lot unused since the end of 2012. It seems like a sin to me to just let an RV sit and deteriorate like it has. Someone has been making the monthly payments for the storage area all these years so I know it isn't abandoned.

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS
33 REPLIES 33

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Well it’s only a class C. Not like it’s anything important!!!!

Well ... certain Class C rigs on their Ford chassis are very important to their owners ... cuz they make it possible to have all the comforts of home when camping at places like this:

and this:

😉 and :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I have a relative who parked a class A in their yard 13 years ago. It's not moved since. Nor has it been maintained. Imagine how bad that can be in a tropical climate. It's worse.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Travel_Man
Explorer
Explorer
There is a boat in the storage yard where we have our Rv that is covered with a tarp. I saw a guy there checking on it one time but it never leaves. It's been there about 10 years. I don't understand why they keep it. Do they just have so much money that paying storage is not an issue or are they just not up to doing anything with it. Seems to me such a waste. If that's the case pay someone to sell it and save money on storage. It's not like the guy is disabled, probably just lazy.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
An older fella had a nice little Cessna 172 at my airport for years, one fall he had a heart attack, lost his medical. Was determined he was going to go back to flying though. Why I'm not sure, I doubt he flew more than 5 or 6 times a year and only a few hours. It would have been FAR cheaper to rent.

Just after he lost his medical one of the other pilots at the field called him to inquire about buying it, his kids were getting their licenses and it would be a good 'starter' plane for them to build time on. Offered him a very fair price for it.

The owner was madder than an old wet hen, called me up to chew about it. I agreed it was a very fair offer. He laughed at me and hung up.

When the next edition of the Canadian Pilots Ass'n newsletter came out there was an ad for his plan, listed at about double what it was worth, the ad stayed up for probably 2 years. He still owned it.

He moved it to a tie-down right next to the driveway and put a 'for sale' sign in the window and on a post under the wing. The signs faded from weather and exposure to the sun. He still owned it.

One Saturday morning a younger guy showed up and asked me if I knew anyone interested in buying the plane, he was trying to sell it for his mother following his fathers passing........

The poor old guy had paid in total probably $15,000 in storage, insurance and incidentals over the period of time after he'd lost his medical. He'd turned down an offer of $25k as is / where is.

In the end they sold it to a salvage yard, it had sat untouched for 11 years. I heard they got $5k for it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well it’s only a class C. Not like it’s anything important!!!! 😉
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Buzzcut wrote:
Whatever the story is, it is said to see someone’s once pride and joy just rot away.

Every vehicle ever purchased was at one time someone's "pride and joy" but all eventually end up in the same place. :W
I have often thought that when passing a salvage yard how at one time the vehicles were someone's pride and joy and now scrap metal regardless of price.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut wrote:
Whatever the story is, it is said to see someone’s once pride and joy just rot away.

Every vehicle ever purchased was at one time someone's "pride and joy" but all eventually end up in the same place. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be very upset over an old Class C, but there is a nice looking Bluebird Wanderlodge in a lot near here that hasn't moved in at least 10 years.
Now, THAT, IMO, is a WASTE!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Buzzcut
Explorer
Explorer
Dave & Jerrolyn, Zachary, Jake & Maxx and lab "Cody"
'00 Newmar Dutch Star 4093 CAT powered pusher.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Buzzcut39

WillyB
Explorer
Explorer
I can offer a possible reason a boat or camper sits idle. The act of selling it signifies an end to any possibility of enjoying it again. As long as it is held onto, there remains hope for a return to camping/boating or whatever.
My mother was in a nursing home for years but refused to sell her house. As long as she had the house she could pretend to herself that someday she would go home and take up her life again. Others in her neighbourhood wondered why I kept going out there to maintain the property as I held power of attorney and could easily have sold it off, but that would have broken her heart.
Some of those trailers could be similar stories.

mckind
Explorer
Explorer
There's a TT that is in the spot next to mine that hasn't moved in years. Another one parks behind mine that was used pretty regularly and now it is covered with dust and the tires are flat. It's a shame that they are deteriorating but you never know what people are going through.

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
A campground we frequent in pigeon forge Tennessee offers storage for campers.
There is several sitting in storage that have'nt been moved in at least five years.

Like others I hate to see something sitting ,simply going to waste.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
I think the next time I'm at the storage lot when the office is open I'm going to ask about that Class C.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
I had a nice boat 24 ft Searay Sorrento, I sold to an acquaintance locally. I saw it sitting at a local boat repair shop, a year later I got a letter from DMV saying that I had a 2500.00 lien I owed. Went to the repair shop and turns out the buyer never titled it in his name, still my boat. He new the story but had to jump through the hoops to claim the boat and make it his, he new I was not to blame, I would have payed and taken it but nobody winterized it and the block was cracked. 10 years later and I drive by it everyday, kills me to see it sit there.