cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Season soon to end - putting RV into storage

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The last time I stored the RV in Florida, I had power so left the a/c set for 85F which got rid of the humidity. This time, no power for 7 months.

I got some pails of damp-rid and put a vent cover on so I can leave one vent and one window (partially) open.

I'll disconnect them, but I'm also worried about the house batteries being dead when I come back. I'll have a spare battery or jumper cables to get the the generator started (so I can run the levelling jacks). I have less than a mile from storage to my site for next winter.

PITA but I'm taking 6 golf cart batteries north with me so I can tend them.

Any other hints what needs to be done?
12 REPLIES 12

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
Do not leave windows/vents open in Florida. I speak from experience. Florida air is so humid that you'll come back to a mold disaster. Keep it closed up with as much Damp Rid as you can manage.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Summers down south are battery killers.
So youโ€™re leaving the Rv batts in though?
I have 2 12V deep cycle batteries in the RV. One is 10 years old and the other is 5 years old. I'm thinking of disposing of the 10 y.o. one and going with only 1 12V. If the summer kills one or both the batteries, it'll motivate me to change them / it.

It's my plan to leave the RV here until we're done RVing (a small number of years) then haul it north to sell it. I don't see much dry camping in our future.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
joebedford wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Simply disconnect to eliminate any parasite draws on power.
I'm going to do that with the RV batteries but not the golf cart batteries. Summer heat is really hard on batteries; different than winter cold.

Ha, yeah good point. Summers down south are battery killers.
So youโ€™re leaving the Rv batts in though?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most batteries will lose about 5% of their charge every month. Storing disconnected for 7 months should not be an issue and the batteries should still be well above 50% charge. IMO that would be safer than trying to trickle charge them without checking on water and charge levels.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Yup. Just move to Florida like everybody else does ... and forget about it!
Sorry, no. I'm looking for good weather all year round not just winter.

As I see it, "good weather all year round" means NOT having to store my RV . . . and no "season soon to end" either. My season is 12 months.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Veebyes wrote:
I'm going to do that with the RV batteries but not the golf cart batteries. Summer heat is really hard on batteries; different than winter cold.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Sorry, no. I'm looking for good weather all year round not just winter.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My routine since 2006 has been to disconnect the battery bank & leave it sit November to April every winter.

The first few years the trailer had a massive battery bank of 6X6V wet cells. Since 2011 I have been using a single 4D AGM. Same treatment. Disconnected, untouched all winter. No problems till the first one aged out after 9 years.

Four seasons into the second AGM now.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
"Any other hints what needs to be done?"

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I let my Class A driver's license lapse so if I ever got into an accident I don't know if I'd be covered. I'd rather not haul it too far.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dang, may as well take the whole camper north!
Not sure why youโ€™d need to babysit the batteries other than theft concerns.

No power?
How bout a little solar to keep the batteries juiced and a couple little 12V fans inside?
I personally wouldnโ€™t want to leave anything hooked up and running for months unattended, but you were good with it before, so as long as the insurance is paid up I supposeโ€ฆ.

Oh, and a cover. Unless itโ€™s not worth coveringโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Joe,

Just charge them fully and disconnect.

or

Add a modest solar charging system between 15 and 30 watts per 100 amp-hours of storage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.