cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Searching for a Tow Vehicle

Dave-Sparky
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation for a search tool for finding a potential replacement tow vehicle?

I know what my trailers spec's are, but I have not found a search tool that will let me enter these and what I want in a vehicle for both towing and daily driving.

Dave
Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2007 Chev Avalanche AWD
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You don't say if you are looking for a van, truck or SUV or how new or what kind of budget. Need to be more specific but yes anything in the 1500- 1/2 ton variety from the last 10 years would work fine if you were comfortable with the Safari and the 4.3 under the hood.
Personally I'm partial to pickups and now reasonable priced crew cab 1/2 tons are dime a dozen from slightly used up to 10 years old. Need more storage like a van, throw a topper on the back. Need to run to the lumber yard or feed store you got a pickup truck bed to use. Unlike some of the newer Midsize SUVs or vans, most all pickups are set up to tow with good hitches, trans coolers and lights wired in. In the last few years some have trailer brakes factory installed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Too many variables for a decent search engine...unless you have filled out
specifications to reduce those variables...

You pretty much have already spec'd out your search criteria...just plug in all
of the Safari's specifications and then do a search with those spec's
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

dundonrl
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I love Vans too. My town and country is the handiest vehicle I have ever owned.

I personally would pull your trailer with my 285 HP Van and not think twice about it. However, I am sure you are trying to stay within ratings. So with that said, some potential replacements off the top of my head are:

mid size SUV:
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Dodge Durango
Ford Explorer
Chevy Traverse
Toyota 4runner
Nissan Pathfinder

Mid Size truck:
Toyota Tacoma

Full Size truck:
Ram 1500 Pentastar V6
F150- 3.7 V6
Chevy Silverado 4.3 (way way different than your 4.3)

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I had a 01 Explorer Sport with tow package and towed a 98 Coachman Catalina Lite with it 26' QB, and while it was within the specs it was definitely not something that I'd want to do again. My current tow vehicle is a 2012 Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 with Cummins and honestly unless I look behind me, I can't tell the trailer is back there.

It's better to get more than you need than the minimum requirements, and the MOST IMPORTANT THING.. how well can to stop what your towing?

Marinermark
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced '93 Chevy 1500 high-top conversion van (5.7L/3.43) with a 2003 Ford E150 5.4L/3.55. Have towed 25' TT about 30,000 miles all over the country. Would have been better with a 3.73, but had no problems and have been happy with it. We love the van as a tow vehicle. Wouldn't have anything else.

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
You're pulling it with an older GMC Safari now. Any late model 1/2 ton PU with a V8 will tow that trailer nicely.

We used to have a GMC Safari. I loved that van, but it was the worst tow vehicle I ever owned. It struggled to pull a 2500# pop-up.

Campfire Time... I think I have a picture of your rig. Was the Safari van blue???

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love Vans too. My town and country is the handiest vehicle I have ever owned.

I personally would pull your trailer with my 285 HP Van and not think twice about it. However, I am sure you are trying to stay within ratings. So with that said, some potential replacements off the top of my head are:

mid size SUV:
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Dodge Durango
Ford Explorer
Chevy Traverse
Toyota 4runner
Nissan Pathfinder

Mid Size truck:
Toyota Tacoma

Full Size truck:
Ram 1500 Pentastar V6
F150- 3.7 V6
Chevy Silverado 4.3 (way way different than your 4.3)

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Dave, sounds like a great idea for big bucks with a new ap. If you make a big wad of cash, don't forget the little people!

Dave-Sparky
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
You're pulling it with an older GMC Safari now. Any late model 1/2 ton PU with a V8 will tow that trailer nicely.

We used to have a GMC Safari. I loved that van, but it was the worst tow vehicle I ever owned. It struggled to pull a 2500# pop-up.

I am just stating to look as I am having an engine issue with the Safari. This is my second Safari that has been used for towing this trailer and if they were still made that is all I would be looking for. They have all of the features and capacities that I need. My MCVR at 11,100# is within 50# of the rated maximum.

They have had no problems pulling my 5800# trailer over our mountain passes here in Washington. While I could not maintain freeway speeds of 65+ on the pass, we did go over at least 55 most of the way.

Dave
Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2007 Chev Avalanche AWD

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s an interesting idea, but I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve ever heard of any such tool. But if you post the specs for your TT I think it will be relatively easy to get some good suggestions. As a daily driver I suspect youโ€™d lean toward a ยฝ ton TV. Assuming it has the payload and power to pull the TT without undue strain even in the mountains and assuming the TT is not so long compared to the TV wheelbase you get the tail wagging the dog.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Never seen any such search tool. You will need to check each truck and see what are its weights and what it can tow.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot