cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety & Security while Stealth Camping

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
I always stealth camp anywhere I go. I hate the thought of staying at WalMart, and I never use them even though I shop there. I use truck stops or I park on public streets typically.

A week ago on a Wednesday night I was in San Francisco with my girlfriend in my 2005 Chinook. I found that it was okay to park overnight at the parking lot of Baker beach in SF. It was quiet and dark. I was fast asleep at 4 AM when I was awoken by some very loud music. I got up and got dressed, pissed off I stomped on the floor of my RV and purposely set off the alarm. (Siren goes off and park lights flash) Their music stopped momentarily as I made my way up to the drivers seat to drive my RV in to a nearby neighborhood so my girl and I could finish resting. As I left I could see it's a bunch of dudes smoking while standing next to their car a few spats away from my RV.

Ever had this happen to you while stealth camping?
17 REPLIES 17

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I see where this is going.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
Lots of folks Boondock....We are not cheap, just practical. While traveling, having to drive sometimes miles from the highway and then find the campground and then check in can easily eat hours from your travel time.

boo hoo. my heart goes out to you for those troubles. and yes, you are cheap, no matter how you try to justify it.
bumpy

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
:S See something new every day.

This gripe should make the top ten on the rant list. :W

New way....GIMMEEE GIMEEE GIMEEE

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:S See something new every day.

This gripe should make the top ten on the rant list. :W

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
How does stealth which is doing wrong benefit RVers. You are part of the problem but want to complain about others. Stealth isn't camping, stealth in this case means sneaky.

So NO we have never had it happen because we never deliberately look for illegal places to park. We have been told that we were out of the 300 foot range of a BLM trail along with dozens of other people. It was because of BLM not having the resources to properly sign everything. We packed up and moved right away because we always want to be a positive part of RVing. We also clean up after our dogs, pick up litter, repair mowed down trail signs and leave donations where donations are asked. You know, be helpful and positive so others after us can also enjoy it.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rbertalotto wrote:
Right after they tell YOU to leave....:-)

Unfortunately, if the park does allow people to park in the parking lot at night, then you have to deal with those people - even if they want to stand around smoking and listening to their music.

If the park doesn't allow people to park in the lot at night, then you don't belong there any more than those who want to stand around smoking and listening to their music.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Great topic. Almost as good as "Armed RVers" and "Gas versus Diesel".
Keep it coming......:B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rbertalotto wrote:
Lots of folks Boondock....We are not cheap, just practical. While traveling, having to drive sometimes miles from the highway and then find the campground and then check in can easily eat hours from your travel time.
Please keep your negative comments civil....There is enough name calling on various forums. No need to bring it here. Thanks

Who called anyone a name? I looked thru the thread and didn't see any name calling.

The guy complained that other people were doing something against the rules and it's disturbing him while he is doing things that are against the rules.

If you want to break the rules, you deal with the consequences.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Rbertalotto wrote:
Please keep your negative comments civil....There is enough name calling on various forums. No need to bring it here. Thanks

At what point does the OP become one of those undesirables you try to avoid? Are you condoning the OP's stealth camping? Can I camp on your street? How about in public areas in your hometown?
When is it OK for me to ignore the loitering,trespassing and vagrancy rules and do whatever I want under the guise of stealth camping?

IS there a difference between stealth camping and overnighting/Wally Docking?.....hint: There is!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Right after they tell YOU to leave....:-)
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next time, call the police and tell them you are camped in the parking lot and a bunch of guys are there smoking and playing loud music and it's disturbing your sleep. They'll come out and tell the riffraff to leave.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
You get what you pay for.. You pay nothing (because you are cheap) you get nothing (issues) in return.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I find highway rest areas and truck stops next to highways as the best places to simply overnight. Lots of trucks around keeps the rifraf to a minimum. I donโ€™t do Walmartโ€™s as the6 seem to attract beggars, homeless and general undesirables.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L