cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety Rest Areas

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
I've notice there are a couple of new rest areas the state of Texas is constructing on I-35, one north bound and one south bound. They are called Safety Rest Areas, and look to be set up really nice. It looks like they have big rig and rv parking behind the facilities with lighting and maybe electric, but couldn't tell for sure about the electric. The facilities look to have multiple buildings (maybe showers?) and a small playground. They look to be much more than standard rest areas. Has anyone used one that's completed?

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-areas.html
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800
15 REPLIES 15

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
I can't believe my post was deleted:R

I can't believe mine is still there.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe my post was deleted:R
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I looked at a TT (ran away, once I found out what happened) where the seller did exactly that. He actually set up a relay system to his truck where he could open the gate valves on his TT while driving.

The problem is that he let loose right in front of a Texas DPS officer (DPS is the same thing in Texas as the CHP is in California.)

Result: $3500 fine (I think jail time, but the seller wouldn't fess up to it.) He then just dropped the black tank and let the "output" fall under the rig. I noticed this when I took a flashlight to the toilet, saw driveway underneath.

as a kid I used to ride the train "they called the City of New Orleans" between St. Louis and Chicago after spending the summer at my grandparent's place in SE Missouri at the end of the summer. I recall one trip when I was in the head and saw the ground moving as I flushed the john. I think there was a notice in the head advising that the john could not be used in the station.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a TT (ran away, once I found out what happened) where the seller did exactly that. He actually set up a relay system to his truck where he could open the gate valves on his TT while driving.

The problem is that he let loose right in front of a Texas DPS officer (DPS is the same thing in Texas as the CHP is in California.)

Result: $3500 fine (I think jail time, but the seller wouldn't fess up to it.) He then just dropped the black tank and let the "output" fall under the rig. I noticed this when I took a flashlight to the toilet, saw driveway underneath.

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer

Put one of these on your tank outlet and crack that little valve just a bit. In 200-250 miles you're tank will be empty! It works good on the gray side but the lumps on the black side tend to stop it up. A quick back-and-fourth lane change will usually unclog it.

(Just kidding folks)
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
The widely disseminated reason for closing the dump stations were Campground Owners. Abuse was just an excuse. Locals did abuse them sometimes, I'm sure. When they installed them they knew there would be abuse by locals. They didn't think someone would drive from Montana and dump pavement sealer etc down them.
They are shooting themselves in the foot. Texas is big and inconveniencing RVers who spend a LOT of money, in their state won't bring them more good will or money from us. If you can't dump the dump campground figure you will have to come there and dump for aa fee and stay for a rate that would justify the Biltmore. It would also take a half day or longer out of your trip.
Just like Tn closed most of it's rest stops to cars. The Association told Governor that they were taking money out of Motels pockets.

I don't believe your post for a minute. Almost all rest areas are too far from a town to affect campground owners. To use that analogy one would have to assume that people would pull into campgrounds to dump and pay a fee. Doesn't make sense to me. Lot's of other places to dump besides a rest area. I also don't believe that people would quit traveling to Texas because they can't dump at a rest area.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
down home wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Texas has built or rebuilt some REALLY nice rest areas in many locations on major highways around the state. They do have very nice air conditioned/heated restrooms, very nice playgrounds, snacks/drinks, and even free wifi. They often have interpretive displays, typically about the local area to that rest area.
But they do not have RV hookups of any kind. And they no longer have dump stations, probably due to abuse of the privilege. They have big rig parking slots, but that is typically just for stopping long enough to use the facilities. Although I think they do allow overnight parking also.
There are still many of the older rest areas yet to be renovated, so check their map if you intend to try to schedule travel around them.

The widely disseminated reason for closing the dump stations were Campground Owners. Abuse was just an excuse. ..........
They are shooting themselves in the foot. Texas is big and inconveniencing RVers who spend a LOT of money, in their state won't bring them more good will or money from us. If you can't dump the dump campground figure you will have to come there and dump for aa fee and stay for a rate that would justify the Biltmore. It would also take a half day or longer out of your trip.............

And if you heard it on the internet it must be true.

Not having dumps in the rest areas is in no way stopping RVers from traveling in and thru Texas. You can see that quickly by a short trip on any highway and see all the RVs with out-of-state plates. There is probably not one in a thousand who would expect to dump their tanks at a rest area. And those who do are the ones who are likely to spend their nights in parking lots anyway. I typically spend around $30/night for a nice RV park. Guess I have missed those Biltmore RV parks.
There are truck stops with RV dumps if one really wants/needs it.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
They are trying to put W-Mart out of business.
So big a world, so little time to see.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
clicky
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Texas has built or rebuilt some REALLY nice rest areas in many locations on major highways around the state. They do have very nice air conditioned/heated restrooms, very nice playgrounds, snacks/drinks, and even free wifi. They often have interpretive displays, typically about the local area to that rest area.
But they do not have RV hookups of any kind. And they no longer have dump stations, probably due to abuse of the privilege. They have big rig parking slots, but that is typically just for stopping long enough to use the facilities. Although I think they do allow overnight parking also.
There are still many of the older rest areas yet to be renovated, so check their map if you intend to try to schedule travel around them.

The widely disseminated reason for closing the dump stations were Campground Owners. Abuse was just an excuse. Locals did abuse them sometimes, I'm sure. When they installed them they knew there would be abuse by locals. They didn't think someone would drive from Montana and dump pavement sealer etc down them.
They are shooting themselves in the foot. Texas is big and inconveniencing RVers who spend a LOT of money, in their state won't bring them more good will or money from us. If you can't dump the dump campground figure you will have to come there and dump for aa fee and stay for a rate that would justify the Biltmore. It would also take a half day or longer out of your trip.
Just like Tn closed most of it's rest stops to cars. The Association told Governor that they were taking money out of Motels pockets.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
On the stretch of I-35 between Austin and San Antonio, there were two pairs of rest stops (one between New Braunfels and SA, and one around Kyle), but all four have been removed.

Highway 290 also had a few yanked, the most memorable was one that had a ladder over a fence near Fredricksburg one was expected to climb up and down if they needed to do #1.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We passed by the one just south of Hillsboro last month and it did appear near completion but did not appear to be open yet. The one south of Temple/Salado has been open several years and is very nice. Same for the two different ones on US 287 between Wichita Falls and Amarillo.

TX_AG
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling Texans wrote:
where are they at along I-35?

Between Waco and Hillsboro, near Abbott.

chattannooga
Explorer
Explorer
Recently drove north on I-35 and stopped at one off these new rest stops. They are called safety stops because they have buildings designed to withstand tornadoes. Motorists, including RVers, can seek safety in them if they are heading into severe weather. Good idea since I can think of nothing worse than being caught in a tornado in a motorhome or big TT.