Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Pad Size + turnaround space

CharlotteM
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

I have a beautiful piece of land in NC that I'd like to put an RV pad on to rent out.

Here are my questions:

1) How much space do I need to pave/install gravel? The site is off a through road that has a slight incline. There is a driveway opposite that RV'ers could back into to get into the space. I want to make it as easy/accessible as possible.

2) For a private space with stream, picnic table, firepit, water/electric near a popular mountain tourist area, how much should I expect to charge per night/week/month?

Thank you all so much, I look forward to learning from you!
10 REPLIES 10

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
larry cad wrote:
Personally, I would like a pad that is 70' long, and at least 10' wide. Big preference is to have it level from end to end. Saves major leveling time. Also consider the pad to be at about a 30 degree angle from the road. makes it easier to back in and get out. Concrete or blacktop is way better than gravel. Overnite fee could be around $70 and up to about $125 given current fees and depending on how comfortable and beautiful it is. Keep in mind there are big differences between various RVs regarding electricity use. Consider installing a meter at the site and charging based on the meter reading. Including it in the fixed fee means little guys pay more percent than 45' Diesel pusher with 3 A/C units on the roof

While 70' is nice, somewhere around 50-60' will accommodate most RVs and worst case they can hang off one end or the other.

10ft wide is good but a larger pad near where the door will be is nice. I'd rather park on good gravel and have a paved picnic area.

Unless you live on site, I wouldn't mess around charging based on the meter reading unless you have someone staying for a month or more. Either build it into your nightly rate or have a fee for 30amp or 50amp and keep it simple.

Price depends a lot on exactly where and how nice of a site. At $125/n, people are going to be expecting service and amenities in a prime location. Looking up prices for nearby parks will give you a good starting point.

Another issue is how will you market the site? Parks with 200 sites have economy of scale.

As far as size, the AASHTO turning templates address this but this is generally baked into the CAD software today. A simple cheat is to find a newer RV park with a good layout that is similar to what you are thinking and scale it off google earth.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Many/some property owners in Tuscon, AZ have an RV pad to rent out to the snowbirds - usually *not* in the hottest summer months, although some do year-long rentals (Canadians leave 5th wheel "on site").

Try searching for ads in forums that allow rental information
(& Craigslist, etc.) and see what is available for comparison.
Owners usually list "amenities" (space, drive-thru, etc.) as well as price.

~

CharlotteM
Explorer
Explorer
All so helpful, thank you everyone!

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
70' long sounds right. My overall length is 53' with truck and 5er. For width, I would think about the width of units with slides/awnings out. Mine is about 17', but it would vary by model, I guess. Just a guess, but spots in commercial sites are something over 20' in most places to about 30' in the last place I was parked. I would not go less than 20' myself.

Daily rates are probably somewhere in the $60 US range. Long term rates in this area are in the $400 (USD) to $700 (USD) range per month plus power depending on the location, etc. Could be different where you are.

Maybe you could check out a few RV parks in your area to see what they have for size/rates.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If at all possible, make it a loop so no backing is required. Pull through spots for some are a requirement.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
NPS has a study on CG design and I think they specified a turn around diameter of 55 feet.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CharlotteM
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Larry, thanks so much for the helpful info! I appreciate it

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would like a pad that is 70' long, and at least 10' wide. Big preference is to have it level from end to end. Saves major leveling time. Also consider the pad to be at about a 30 degree angle from the road. makes it easier to back in and get out. Concrete or blacktop is way better than gravel. Overnite fee could be around $70 and up to about $125 given current fees and depending on how comfortable and beautiful it is. Keep in mind there are big differences between various RVs regarding electricity use. Consider installing a meter at the site and charging based on the meter reading. Including it in the fixed fee means little guys pay more percent than 45' Diesel pusher with 3 A/C units on the roof
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

CharlotteM
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Rick, thanks! Spoke with zoning this morning, so I'd be applying through them for sure first thing. I just need to know sizes so that I know what to include in the permit app.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Do your due diligence and (1) check with zoning, and (2) check with your liability insurance carrier.

Then I'm sure experienced forum members will answer all your questions.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress