cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Lot Insurance Ideas

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve purchased a property in North Carolina that has a huge garage on it. I got it for RV storage of personal items like tools and equipment and also for living quarters when I’m not traveling where other personal items will be left. I’ll be selling my home.

I’ll do the traditional stuff like alarm security services, cameras, lighting, etc. that’s easy stuff.

What I’m hoping to get from this thread is information to help me find appropriate property and liability insurance; traditional others are using but also out of the box solutions that might be available. (My current homeowner’s agent at State Farm pretty much laughed at me.)

Looking forward to your thoughts.
11 REPLIES 11

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
ThruTraffic wrote:
...My current homeowner’s agent at State Farm pretty much laughed at me...

Tough to make money if they don't write a policy. Even if it is for some high risk reason, that just means the premium is a lot more. I have forgotten how many times I have changed insurance because of bravo-sierra from the agent. They always start off competitive and raise rates hoping I forgot. One of the things about paying in full annually is they can't sneak in a few dollars here & there on a monthly account debit.

Yeah, it is a PITA, but shop around and move one. Don't lay out the issues for the new agent, let them ask what they want to know. Just tell them you are covered right now but are competitive shopping to ensure your existing agent is in line with the going rates. The agents are in sales, they know they won't get your business if they don't take the time to write you a quote, so don't feel bad about taking their time.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
Talked to a nearby independent agent today. He didn't bat an eye. Will have a quote on Monday. Will shop around for comparisons as well.

I hate it when things turn out easy. 🙂 LOL

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
ThruTraffic wrote:
To itsyrv: no one else’s belongings will be stored there. Poorly worded sentence.

I didn’t think a standard homeowner’s policy would be used to cover this type of situation which is what I think scared off the SF agent.

I'm still trying to figure out the arrangement.

Is the property just going to be used for storing the RV when not in use?
or
Is the property going to have a residential unit added for you to live in when not using the RV?
or
Are you planning on living in the RV at the property when not traveling?

The first should be no issue for an insurance company, but the other two could present problems if not presented correctly to the agent.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Try Foremost. You'll need fulltimers insurance and they can probably add the building. I had a deck and shed added to my Foremost policy.
-jbh-

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You need to shop around and talk to many agents, but be sure they have discussed this with an underwriter. Look carefully at the policy. Many will exclude property damage coverage for any structure not inhabited for 30 days. You should be able to get coverage, but probably from an independent agent, not one who is captive to a national brand.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Etstorm wrote:
I would look for a new agent!

Plenty of carriers who would insure

X2
I have SF and keep my rv at our acerage.. My agent just added the location on my homeowners policy. I do have a rv and umbrella liability policy also. Your state may require a different policy on your building & land. I can get a separate policy he calls a " farm " policy that would give me more coverage out there

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Any insurance agent may laugh at you depending on which part of town or area within a county your wanting that type of insurance coverage.
Generally if its a city type location costs may be just a arm and a leg but if its rural property with no one around it may cost both arms and a leg.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
To itsyrv: no one else’s belongings will be stored there. Poorly worded sentence.

I didn’t think a standard homeowner’s policy would be used to cover this type of situation which is what I think scared off the SF agent.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if you plan to convert part of the barn for residential use or if you're saying you plan on living in the RV when not traveling. Also what is this part about other people's belongings will be left?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, new agent. When I worked/sold insurance for State Farm in another state, we would have insured that for you as long as the building was in good condition and you took the security precautions you noted. You will need a N Carolina agent though.

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for a new agent!

Plenty of carriers who would insure