Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Insurance

new2me450rv
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

A lot of the advertising out there sounds good, but of course ads aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on - or the cyberspace they occupy ??. So…
Anyone out there have actual experience, good or bad, making a claim for full replacement value with any of the insurance carriers providing such an option? If so, which carrier and what did you need to replace and how old was it? How about experiences with large claims short of that mark (say $10,000 or more)?
Been RVing for 30 years and am on my second class c (2014). I’ve made a lot of improvements and plan to hold onto it until I can’t RV anymore. If it’s actually possible to do, it would be great to truly protect it - so I’m hoping there are some real life success stories out there.
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
My real world experience is both Progressive and AmFam have taken my money for premiums every year for stated value coverage for, now, 3 different RVs.
I’ve had no issue with them. They are very good at accepting my premium in exchange for a policy that covers what I’ve asked to be covered at the limits I asked for.
Or in other words, shop around and find what you want.
I’d recommend either one although we dumped Progressive because they got real progressive with our rates a few years ago.
If you’re wanting to know about only people who have collected on a full totaled RV payout, that list will (hopefully) be pretty small.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

new2me450rv
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
new2me450rv wrote:
Sent last message before saw ‘delwhjr’ post. Thanks- interesting, my State Farm agent said no such option was available! Will have to talk to them again!

Unfortunately, companies offer different options and coverage in different states. Do have him/her check again ( check with agent directly not through their staff) and maybe cold call another state farm agent. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have had the same agent for over 30 years. They go over and above whenever I have called for info or claims.

Yep - that was it. Different state, different States Farm options. So frustrating…

Given the forum we’re on ??, I was anticipating some first-hand feedback on one of those policies through Good Sam. Have contacted them and seems too good to be true (and so naturally to be avoided at all costs…). Plus, as far as I can tell, it is a front for National General (i.e. they don’t intend to ever actually issue policies through any of the other companies they list in their ads). Anyone have any real-life knowledge/experience?

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Owned 2 RV's one 5th wheel(used), one travel trailer(new). 5th wheel was insured by State Farm, the TT by GEICO. Both were ACV in the event of a total loss. The reason I switched from State Farm to GEICO with the TT was cost (the Lizard was less expensive) and GEICO's coverage was like a homeowners policy. Contents coverage, all perils when not being towed, liability, & medical payments. State Farm's coverage was essentially collision when towed and comprehensive when parked but only for the fifth wheel, the contents were supposedly covered under homeowners policy (also State Farm at the time). Never filed a claim with either company.

GEICO's collision coverage on the TT IIRC, was full replacement value for fist 5 years only and that was a rider I paid for. The rider was only available in years 0-5.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
new2me450rv wrote:
Sent last message before saw ‘delwhjr’ post. Thanks- interesting, my State Farm agent said no such option was available! Will have to talk to them again!

Unfortunately, companies offer different options and coverage in different states. Do have him/her check again ( check with agent directly not through their staff) and maybe cold call another state farm agent. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have had the same agent for over 30 years. They go over and above whenever I have called for info or claims.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

new2me450rv
Explorer
Explorer

new2me450rv
Explorer
Explorer
Already have ‘good’ ‘conventional’ insurance that covers based on current value of similar units of same age. Basically treats RVs like cars. Available from all major companies, all of which can be reasonably researched for customer satisfaction (yes, can find good and bad for all, but trends tend to be evident). Am interested in any experience with policies that advertise to treat RVs very differently, none of which are offered by the ‘well known’ insurance brands, and all of which have a very small number of users compared to what is ‘conventional’ - and therefore hard to research. So yes, I am interested in any actual experience with needing to use such policies (including ‘agreed value’ policies- do you have actual experience with one?)

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
We always have an agreed value policy on our trailer (past and present)One of our trailers, a 2001 Trail Bay, suffered a full wall separation while on the road; total loss. Insurance company paid the policy as agreed with no hassle including all the add-ons and accessories that could not be reused. We had State Farm at the time and still do. The cost of the policy is about 10% higher than an ACV policy.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed value policys are out there , they just cost more ! Classic autos are usually " Agreed Value " Check around .

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Your improvements" won't be covered no matter how nice and well done. Replacement value for the original RV of that year and as close as possible for the model is all you'll get from an insurance company.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So you're saying you currently have full coverage with an actual cash value replacement policy and you are wanting to go to an agreed value? (I think "replacement cost" is more for "items" not vehicles, but I'm not certain.)
Agreed value "can" net you more in a total loss, if the vehicle has depreciated some since the value was set.
If that's what you're after, then that is the type of policy you would want.
Otherwise, simply keeping with a decent rated insurance company and KNOWING your policy, is the best defense against not recovering what you should in a total loss.

Success stories with "payout"? If you're just looking for someone to tell you how great their insurance company was, or how bad their settlement was, you'll get those stories.
But realize, you could swap the names of the 2 companies between the good and bad story and you'd find someone who'd have those experiences also.

Insurance companies are a FOR PROFIT business and also can be/are very unscrupulous. The only way to achieve what you want, which is the best sense of security for your item, is to KNOW your policy. Just like the rest of the world's industries, Ins Cos will take advantage of those that are ignorant to their rights and terms.

Hope this helps?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold