cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rodent repellant

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Just opened up the trailer this morning from its long winter nap to check things over and start getting ready for camping season. I found one single mouse turd in a drawer. I have tried all of the gimmicks over the years in the boat and camper. Always found the best thing was just good ole Bounce dryer sheets. For the last 3 years I have been also using a product called Grandpa Gus's Mouse Pouches in addition to my dryer sheets and noticed that we didnt have any mouse **** at all. Last fall I decided to just use the mouse pouches. Same results. one single little turd is a victory to me.

To give a little background my trailer is parked on a farm right by a machine shed full of farming equipment including a feed grinding mill, so mice and rats are a staple of the area.

I have no affiliation to this company. Just thought I may be able to help out fellow RVers
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS
15 REPLIES 15

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Don't like the odor of peppermint, we use Fresh Cab pouches once a year and since then have not had any mouse ****

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
We use bronze wool for some of the openings because plumbing or wiring may need to be replaced.
-jbh-

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimK-NY wrote:
I don't understand. If you can find the openings that let in mice, why use steel wool to plug the holes. I would think a permanent seal would be better.
Youโ€™re being way to logical. My trailer is sealed with exterior grade expanding foam. Works for me, otherโ€™s situation may vary.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't understand. If you can find the openings that let in mice, why use steel wool to plug the holes. I would think a permanent seal would be better.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My rv trailer sets in a covered shed next to the tractor shed next to my hay meadow. Always lots of field rats and mice.
1. I close/seal all/any tiny points of entry into the trailer.
2. I use Tom Kat bait stations and block baits in both sheds. You have to place bait blocks where coons/'posum can get to them. They do climb.
3. I keep one mouse trap just inside the trailers door baited with peanut butter. Maybe 1-2 caught in the trap per year.
Never botherd with mouse issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Bronze wool will not rust, corrode etc.
-jbh-

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Goostoff wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
Isn't the best solution to find the points of entry? There should be none in a well built RV but at the worst there should only be a very few possibilities.

We have stuffed every crevice we can find with steel wool. Our sliding door for the bedroom has wires going down through the far back of it right into the basement area. I cant find a way to get to it without damange and thats where i think they come in.

I must have been typing my reply when you sent this one.

Sounds like you have a 5th wheel. My folks had a 5th wheel that they stored in a covered shop, and they always had mice in it.. He did try to seal up too, but like you say, there are just too many points of entry in that basement area I guess...

Well, good luck with it all the same! I feel for ya!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
Isn't the best solution to find the points of entry? There should be none in a well built RV but at the worst there should only be a very few possibilities.

We have stuffed every crevice we can find with steel wool. Our sliding door for the bedroom has wires going down through the far back of it right into the basement area. I cant find a way to get to it without damange and thats where i think they come in.

Steal wool will rust in time and break down. For this reason I use stainless steel wool. Found it at WalMart by the kitchen sponges. Be careful, it's sharp.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
What JimK said.. I've parked my TT's in the same spot for 20 years now. I have a firewood shed right behind it on the side of my house. I put rat bait in the firewood shed all the time, and find the remnants of them all the time. In addition to all the turds and chewed bits of firewood so I know the area has rats/mice present.

To date, I have never had one in a TT. I have never placed any kind of deterrent in the TT either.

Only thing I have done is make sure there are no points of entry from the outside of the trailer. Especially the under side.

Even the smallest of cracks or gap can let the little varmints in. On the first trailer, I did seal up some very small gaps with silicon sealer. On the current trailer, I've not had to do anything to it. I did inspect it when I first got it of course. That meant crawling on my back under the whole underbelly. This one is a 'sealed' underbelly, but it looked like the manufacture took care of any cracks/gaps before I got it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, I'd be doing a close check on the underbelly and seal up any cracks/gaps before using any of the so called "repellants".

On a side note, I have heard a lot of folks say all they do with the dryer sheets is make a bed with them.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wood shed is in background.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wis tuff state home of the 3 inch mosquito.lol I use real peppermint oil.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
We tried the peppermint oil a few years ago and had the worst year ever so we never tried it again. We tried the hedge apple in our basement once a long time ago to try getting rid of spiders and they just built webs right on top of them. LOL
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hedge apples. Keeps mice and spiders away.
Place a few in something like 1 gal milk jugs. Set several around inside and in the basement.
The hedge apples will soften and begin to rot during the winter with the freezing and thawing so the need to put them in something like plastic jugs. But when they soften and start rotting they put off a sweet smell which not only keeps the critters away but gives the camper a nice smell.
I'm in the country where crops are all around the house and camper. Hedge apples have worked for years keeping critters out.
Camped in every state