cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reservations

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I do not like reservations is the part about loosing your deposit for having to cancel no matter what the reason.....Last Friday we were on our way to the last stop on our 2 week vacation and burned up a bearing in the camper. We called to explain why we would not be there and the response was you loose your deposit.....
38 REPLIES 38

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I had a reservation at an Oregon State park. A wildfire caused the campground to close the day I was supposed to arrive. No one's fault. I lost my reservation fee plus one night site fee. Oh well, no whining here. In May some friends and I got the last two reservations at a popular Oregon State Park. We arrived and the park was nearly empty. People are playing reservation bingo and sites are not available to others that want to take their families camping.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
How do you boondock in Los Angeles? Go to the LA River and camp? I lived in Bell Gardens, Norwalk, and Rosamond and never figured out how to boondock without dragging my TT a 500 mile RT in a wild race with 53000 other people just to spend 16 hrs playing. some people do it every weekend too!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, if I can't have it then nobody can have it. Nyah, nyah, nyah.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
I would not call to cancel unless I knew I would get a refund. All you did was give them the opportunity to rent the space to someone else, AND keep your money. It would be better to call and tell them you are running a little late (even though you really can't make it) just so they wouldn't be tempted to rent it to someone else.

So...you think it's a good idea - when your plans changed - to tie up a campsite another person could use, just for spite?

Be sure to remember that suggestion the next time you wanted to get in a popular campground that you noticed still had unoccupied sites, but the sign said "Full."

If I paid for a site and they don't give refunds then that site is mine wheather or not I show up
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
I would not call to cancel unless I knew I would get a refund. All you did was give them the opportunity to rent the space to someone else, AND keep your money. It would be better to call and tell them you are running a little late (even though you really can't make it) just so they wouldn't be tempted to rent it to someone else.
Then you may lose the entire amount for your stay, rather than JUST the deposit amount. They have your CC (used for the deposit), remember?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
jdb7566 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
lose

Theres always won that feels the need to correct somebodies spelling, even though they new exactly what they were talking about.
There's, one, knew. See, there's actually too of us.
Who. Somebody's. two.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdb7566 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
lose

Theres always won that feels the need to correct somebodies spelling, even though they new exactly what they were talking about.
There's, one, knew. See, there's actually too of us.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I've got no problem with not getting a reservation fee back when it is my own situation that I can't get to the campground. When I have had to cancel, I do ask if I can get a credit for future use. We are doing that this fall... last year we had to cancel a camping trip with a no return policy reservation, but were able to get a credit and are using that this fall.

Abusing the reservation system is Rampant at Disney World's Fort Wilderness. It is openly discussed on forums. It has been a few years since we've been there, so maybe they've added more rules to try to combat this.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
lose

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished taking the granddaughter to Space Camp in Huntsville, AL. We were going to stay at the FamCamp on the Redstone Arsenal base. But even thou half the spaces were empty they were all reserved. They said people reserve them for 2 weeks at a time and may or may not show up. Then also at this one they allow them to reserve spaces and to just move (maybe) every 2 weeks to another spot - aka homesteading.
Most bases don't allow homesteading but it seems this one does. There is also a rumor that they are going to expand for more spaces ..... yea more homesteading. it's also the one base that I know of that allows the public to purchase passes to do fishing and boating and camping on base, so quite a few in the FamCamp were not military or retired military.
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read this whole thread. In State Parks for MN, SD, or IA. There is only like a 7-10 dollar charge to cancel your reservation a few days out. If you cancel that day,, then they charge you for one day of camping and the 7-10 dollar charge.

Most places I visit locally have a reservation system for some sites and a first come, first serve, system for others.

As a local camper I find that to be the best of both worlds.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, it's a common practice here that some book their favorite site every weekend in the summer knowing they only forfeit $10 if they don't show. If these folks had to lose the entire reservation fee, that would stop that practice in a hurry and msybe some other folks might actually have a shot on getting in.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I want and prefer a reservation system. While not happy about it I have forfeited a few deposits due to issues on my end. I consider the forfeiture/loss all part of the process and don't fret about it.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im on the side that says that is the risk you take, and agree to, when making the reservation. I've had to cancel in the past and yes, I've lost a day's rate. All part of the process/system.

I also believe in being as up front and honest as possible. I'd hate to think just because I wanted to play games and 'pay' the Campground back for following their rules, that someone else couldn't take advantage of the site. So what if they were able to re-rent the spot out.

I actually had reservations at a campground that did not require a deposit at all. Just my word I'd be there. I called them anyways when I had to cancel. I could have just let it go.. not losing any money, but I called anyways. Seems like the ethical thing to do and possibly free it up for someone else.

I have also found that many places will give you a raincheck, even if it is not part of their official policy. As long as you are decent about it, and not being a butthead, you will be amazed at what is possible.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS