cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

renting out your RV? Success stories? Issues?

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
Through no fault of my own i find myself with THREE campers. A completely restored 1976 GMC motorhome, a hybrid trailer (with an excursion to pull it) and a Sprinter van conversion

The van conversion is in progress and I think it will be the one that really meets our needs.

None of these are high value and pristine. I just retired. I need another revenue stream.

I'm looking at Outdoorsey but there are also options where you can provide insurance roadside yourself through a 3rd party.

Usually when this comes up people scream that it's crazy and they'd never do it. Meanwhile Outdoorsey is moving a lot of RVs so somebody most be doing it.

I'd love to hear from you
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.
51 REPLIES 51

dedmiston
Weโ€™re done with this one.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

You have found every response here to be worthless, except for Matt Collie.

Yeah pretty much. I asked for EXPERIENCE and i got opinions. A few comments were no completely worthless and I should have acknowledged them.

toedtoes wrote:

You've got it all figured out.

Clearly not, but I will.

toedtoes wrote:

You have a 46 year old motorhome, but YOURS is special. Yours is not some other worthless old piece of **** like all the others. Yours will attract special renters who will take care of your RV and baby it out on the road.

Well, if you must know, 1976 GMC Birchaven, The only RV produced by a major automaker.
Olds 455 Front Wheel Drive. Independent suspension on all six wheels, Aluminum and Composite construction (no sticks and no staples), with many upgrades. A Hot Rod with plumbing, About the coolest RV on the road.

toedtoes wrote:

Good luck.

I don't think you mean that.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
hertfordnc wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Those "people with NO experience" just might be the ones that you DO want to listen to, as they are the ones that have chosen to not rent theirs out after weighing all the factors relative to it. Be grateful for any legitimate input you receive.

That made me laugh.

This thing that LOTS of people are doing (15,000 owners on Outdoorsy, 100,000 on RV share) Is a terrible idea according to people who have never done it.

I don't ask people who don't have a passport about travel to Ethiopia.

i know the vast majority of RV owners would never rent it out. most won't loan their camper to family members.

Which is why i did not ask "is this a good idea"

Then I say "GO FOR IT!" Your mind is obviously made up already, so why are you even soliciting opinions from all of us idiots on this forum?? Let us know how it works out for you, will you?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are renting your RV to help pay for it or perhaps ease the cost pain of owning one perhaps you shouldn't have an RV in the 1st place.

We bought ours to go explore and see things and not have to deal with hotels. We want to have our coffee freshly brewed right there and have breakfast without having to make ourselves presentable. Mainly, to have OUR stuff. Our beds, ours linens and so forth that only WE use. We don't want strangers using our stuff.

Yeah, we still do big trips requiring hotels or AIRNBs. But we do a whole lot more long weekends with the RV than we would ever do if we were doing hotels.

The build quality of RVs ain't that great. It shows wear and tear with just us using it. Imagine if strangers were using it. We take grandkids with us ONCE a year on a trip. My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that companies that do rentals buy special units that are designed specifically to be rentals and can handle the abuse a little better.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
You've got a pretty big attitude.

You have found every response here to be worthless, except for Matt Collie. Even folks who did not boohoo your idea but offered practical suggestions (insurance, etc) are worthless. You don't need advice. You've got it all figured out.

You have a 46 year old motorhome, but YOURS is special. Yours is not some other worthless old piece of **** like all the others. Yours will attract special renters who will take care of your RV and baby it out on the road.

Right. That attitude pretty much guarantees your enterprise to be a disaster.

Good luck.

There it is..............ROFLMAO.

You've been officially chastised by Soretoes, almost canceled even.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
hertfordnc wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

I firmly disagree that someone renting an old rig on the cheap will be more careful but not my loss.

Have you ever driven a GMC?

THis is not some lumbering Pace Arrow on an overloaded Didge chassis.

- I think people will pay a premium for the cool factor. Or they won't- but it won't go out cheap.

If it's not cheap, I expect you to have difficulty renting an old outdated rig...maybe I'm wrong.
If it's cheap, I expect them to abuse it (probably with a pricey rental also).

I'm sensing an underlying love for the rigs based on your defense of it though.

Ultimately your call and your loss.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:

I would assume almost all people who rent from Tiuro have a pretty good amount of knowledge how to operate a car. I also am pretty much sure most of those renters do not plan on cooking, eating, sleeping, entertaining , bathing and pooping in that car.
Comparing Renting a car vs renting an RV is roughly the same as comparing renting an RV to renting a house or apartment. They have a few things n common, but many more things that are completely different.

Well you missed the point entirely, but thatโ€™s okay.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
hertfordnc wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I'd also add that I bet you'd find the majority of folks renting out RVs on Outdoorsey, etc, are doing so with units purchased specifically for the renting and NOT their personal vacation RVs.

Yes, that's what I've heard. they start with their own and if it works out they get another just for rental.

In my case, i have three so it's just a matter of not renting the next one i plan to use.

My wife likes to camp in the hybrid within a few hours of home. The GMC is for tourism and the van will be for epic road trips. At least that's the plan.

I think you're missing the point. They do NOT use their rental RVs for personal use - period. They buy RVs that are solely for rent. And their personal RV is solely for personal use.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the rental company has any reasonable screening of the customers..... I would give it a go with a well used RV.

Just don't expect to personally use that RV again on any type of schedule. Read your agreement very carefully so you go in with your eyes open. I have a feeling 8 out of 10 or more rental episodes will go just fine. And the few that go bad will make great campfire stories.

I have rentals but not the RV.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
We get a lot of Turo car rentals where I live/work and most all of them started renting their personal vehicle and it worked so well they bought additional ones and made a business out of it. I havenโ€™t checked the RV rental sites, but if you check the Turo web site it is an interesting business model.

Dave

I would assume almost all people who rent from Tiuro have a pretty good amount of knowledge how to operate a car. I also am pretty much sure most of those renters do not plan on cooking, eating, sleeping, entertaining , bathing and pooping in that car.
Comparing Renting a car vs renting an RV is roughly the same as comparing renting an RV to renting a house or apartment. They have a few things n common, but many more things that are completely different.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
We get a lot of Turo car rentals where I live/work and most all of them started renting their personal vehicle and it worked so well they bought additional ones and made a business out of it. I havenโ€™t checked the RV rental sites, but if you check the Turo web site it is an interesting business model.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I'd also add that I bet you'd find the majority of folks renting out RVs on Outdoorsey, etc, are doing so with units purchased specifically for the renting and NOT their personal vacation RVs.

Yes, that's what I've heard. they start with their own and if it works out they get another just for rental.

In my case, i have three so it's just a matter of not renting the next one i plan to use.

My wife likes to camp in the hybrid within a few hours of home. The GMC is for tourism and the van will be for epic road trips. At least that's the plan.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
hertfordnc wrote:
Pbutler97 wrote:

Or perhaps a different demographic.

Yup, i'm beginning to think that might be the case, and it's sad.

I've been ere a long time. It seems to have changed in the last few years as forums have generally been displaced by facebook and reddit.

I have no doubt if you search hard enough you will someone will support your enterprise. Heck, I bet you can find people who champion buying lottery tickets to fund retirement. Hint, that wonโ€™t work because I have dibs on tonightโ€™s $800,000,000 Powerball.
I know that owning RV parks for decades , rental RVs take a beating. My staff and I spent a whole lot of time and used up a whole lot of Duct Tape and Hillbilly engineering to get them down the road to their next stop. And those were late model rigs purposefully built for rental use.