cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Renters insurance

Robert6401
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering "renting" one of my RV's to a family member for a few months for them to stay in while working a remote contract position. Do you all know of any way that I could insure the unit during that time?

Thanks!
2018 Ford F450
2012 Raptor 297SE
2009 Forest River Sierra 335QBQ
8 REPLIES 8

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
you're not renting, you're "renting" if I read that right.

Be very careful if you try to play this game. One wrong comment and you may find your insurance company declining to pay if you claim they were just borrowing it and in reality they were paying to rent it.

Also keep in mind, it's not just the replacement of a wrecked RV but if there is an injury it could create a sticky situation and counting on an injured family member with a big medical bill to cover for you is no guarantee no matter how much you think they will always have your back.

Be honest and up front with your insurance agent and get confirmation that you are covered for what you are proposing to do.
I agree. The level of scrutiny an insurance company will give a claim rises geometrically with the value of that claim. Sure, you would probably have zero problems getting a $2000 claim for a bent bumper paid, but should that claim be a $2,000,000 liability claim because your renter plowed into a school bus the claim is going under an electron microscope.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
you're not renting, you're "renting" if I read that right.

Be very careful if you try to play this game. One wrong comment and you may find your insurance company declining to pay if you claim they were just borrowing it and in reality they were paying to rent it.

Also keep in mind, it's not just the replacement of a wrecked RV but if there is an injury it could create a sticky situation and counting on an injured family member with a big medical bill to cover for you is no guarantee no matter how much you think they will always have your back.

Be honest and up front with your insurance agent and get confirmation that you are covered for what you are proposing to do.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You will be operating a business and need commercial insurance
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Renters insurance is what tenants pay for coverage of their contents.
Just check your insurance policy (unless you don't have one). It's likely not an issue. Only about a zillion people living in insured RVS and you're not renting, you're "renting" if I read that right.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, have the relative check with his insurance to see if they have coverage he can purchase on a rented rv. Some companies do offer that for their clients but may have a limitation as to the # of days it would apply.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes tell him the facts, he,might just tell ok.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Talk to your insurance agent and be honest with what you are doing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you contact your insurance company that covers the RV's?
You may need a commercial policy for a rental unit.