cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Receiver Hitch broken

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Hidden Hitch Model # 64-6100 that cracked on the weld. I brought it to a seasoned welder and he rewilded it after about 600 miles it broke again. Was wondering why it says on the hitch not to weld? This is on a 2004 motorhome towing a 2004 jeep liberty. I know just replace it but not very easy to find a replacement.

Thanks for any inf .... r0n.....
7 REPLIES 7

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check to make sure tow bar is nearly level. Make sure it is pivoting side to side. If it is not, turning straight corners could rip the weakest portion to pieces.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Is this the hitch on the MH? What chassis is it on?
Best guess the tow bar is not turning on corners. What tow bar?

Draw-Tite 5350 Multi-Fit Motor Home Hitch

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
2004 motorhome towing a 2004 jeep liberty using a Blue OX tow bar. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dutch_12078 wrote:
The Draw-Tite 5350 or Curt 13701 should fit your motorhome. Both are adjustable up to 51" and are rated for 5,000 lbs.

Draw-Tite 5350

Curt 13701

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
camper_ron wrote:
I brought it to a seasoned welder and he rewilded it after about 600 miles it broke again. Was wondering why it says on the hitch not to weld?
Some thoughts: Mfg welding may be much more controlled, inspected and tested. Maybe even machine controlled welded. Welding also involves a lot of heat which may be part of the mfg consierations perhaps even some level of heat treatement. Or maybe it's a liability statement.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Draw-Tite 5350 or Curt 13701 should fit your motorhome. Both are adjustable up to 51" and are rated for 5,000 lbs.

Draw-Tite 5350

Curt 13701
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is this the hitch on the MH? What chassis is it on?
Best guess the tow bar is not turning on corners. What tow bar?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 3 Class IV hitch receivers that were bolted onto my dodge ram trucks years ago by a welding shop and no problems so far towing 4500lb trailer in many states.