cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulled to the left when being passed by Big Rigs

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm towing 10,000 bumper pull Toy Hauler. I'm under my Gross weight in both the truck and Toy Hauler.. My TW is 1440 pounds including the hitch.

My trailer sits level when being towed. But everytime I'm passed by a big rig or a big box truck I get sucked over.

Is there anything I can do to deal with this or is it just then nature of the beast!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
41 REPLIES 41

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
A Hensley or Propride hitch will eliminate the big truck push pull.

Not exactly. While the hitch will help, you will still have the push, only it is different. The truck and trailer get pushed together as one and wonโ€™t flex at the hitch point like a regular hitch. You will be more in control and wonโ€™t have sway but you will still feel the bow wave.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Particularly if the semi is going by quickly, it's going to happen.

If the trailer otherwise goes right back in line, it's normal. If it wags back and forth for a minute or so, that's an issue that you should address.

- Try to hold steady and not react. As the bow wave moves up, it can result in an overcorrection.
- Pay attention to what's coming up behind you so it doesn't surprise you.
- If you do see a truck coming up, move to the right a bit more. Going from 4ft separation to 6ft can reduce the impact by half or more.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
An Airstream will prevent that.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Space, and I donโ€™t mean the last frontier.

Hug the fog line, every extra inch of space between you and the truck makes a huge difference in the bow wave effect.

X2!!
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Space, and I donโ€™t mean the last frontier.

Hug the fog line, every extra inch of space between you and the truck makes a huge difference in the bow wave effect.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes my TT always had a very slight rear end sucking sensation toward the Big Bad boys. This occurred both with and without a WDH. I quickly learned to anticipate and not over react with the steering wheel. Just let it ride.:)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
A Hensley or Propride hitch will eliminate the big truck push pull.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
If possible and you see them coming move over as far as you can safely to increase the gap between you both. I've read opening a window on each side of your trialer helps also but not tired that.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
When an 18-wheeler overtakes your RV, it's bow-wave of air hits the left rear of the trailer first, and that pushes the rear toward the shoulder. When the body rear moves right slightly before the rear axle does, it amplifies the push to the left that you feel in the front causing you to correct steering

As the 18-wheeler bow wave moves toward the front , it pushes the front of the trailer to the right, it amplifies the steering correction you have already done causing you to have to correct to the left.

This whole thing, if you are not used to the feelings, can be quite scary. One way to overcome that is to install Vortex Generators like Air Tabs They cut down on the dead air and drag on the rear of RV and greatly reduce the bow wave of passing trucks.

I have AIRTABS on my Class C.

They really help on a cross wind situation,no more sudden buffeting. It has stopped the sideways push when being passed or passing a large truck.

They are a vortex generator that produce a counter rotating air trail several feet behind the vehicle, This airflow alteration improves vehicle stability. As far a mileage it may helped some but the stability they provided is amazing.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
1L243,

My air tabs do help.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
High pressure around the front of the truck (bow wave), and low pressure on the sides of the truck. Bow wave will push you away and the low pressure area will pull you toward the truck. Just the way it is.

The larger your tv is, the less it will affect it.

Just keep your eye on whatโ€™s coming behind you so you can deal it. Real fun when you are in a situation where you have a semi on both sides of you at the same time with one passing beside you and the other just starting to pass.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I think that the bow wave from the big rig is getting you. Brace yourself.

I've seen them smile when they blow by?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L