Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prescriptions on the road

Mannon89
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 06/27/17 02:41pm Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator
My husband has to take strong painkillers for his back problem. How do you travel more than one month and get your medicines refilled? Especially in other states? We live in Texas.
:Having:B fun traveling down the road with my sweetie (spouse of 35+years)
21 REPLIES 21

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
I was on a schedule 2 narcotic when we started full timing. My doctor ( in California) initially agreed to see me every 6 months and give me a 90 day supply with refills through express scripts ( we had Tricare). After the first year he said he had to see me every three months and last summer I was told I could only get a 30 day supply per visit. I would have to be seen to get a refill.
That wasn't workable so I weaned myself off and have been off of them for 6 months. Fortunately my pain has improved to a point where I don't need them. Not everyone is so fortunate. My other meds I get a 90 day supply from Express Scripts and they are sent to my SD address and then forwarded to me at whatever location I request. That has worked very well.
The Pain management doctor I was seeing said the FDA was breathing down his neck and the criteria for prescribing narcotics has gotten very strict.
I hope you have better luck than I did.
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I use CVS for my prescriptions and now winter in Florida. They've had no problem transferring my refills to Florida. Last time I had to get my dad's hydrocodone refilled I found that I no longer had to go pick up a written script for it - in NYS. Talk to your pharmacy about refilling at other stores out of state. They should be able to tell you how it works, if they are a national chain. It shouldn't be an issue anymore.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Mannon89
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes it is for a schedule II narcotic.
:Having:B fun traveling down the road with my sweetie (spouse of 35+years)

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Walgreen's has worked well for me, though I realize some medications now have strict limitations (thanks in part to those criminal Florida pill mills a few years back).

These discussions always remind me of when I once had a minor issue before a long trip getting a three-month supply of an ordinary blood pressure med ahead of schedule (eventually solved).

When I explained there were itinerary issues at the point when my supply would run out, the young pharmacy clerk said, "You could just go to one of the Walgreen's in Yellowstone." I explained that, although the park indeed was bigger than Delaware, there was actually no handy Walgreen's on a street corner there.

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
The VA doctors can and will mail them for one month so I can travel for upto 2 months without going to a different VA clinic or hospital to get a refill. I did a trip like that last year to take the granddaughter to Space Camp and am on the same type of trip again now. She did Aviation Challenge this year there and we just dropped her off home on Saturday. I am having this months mailed, the doctor is ok with it as long as I don't longer than that to see her. The VA almost always does a pee test every month, and has for years, because of the drugs I am on.
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter picks up prescriptions for us ( has written authorization ) and mails them to us .

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Florida requires written prescriptions picked up in person.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Some states will not allow a two month supply of narcotics and some insurance will not pay for 60 days"

Very true, darsben. Hence they may need to pay upfront then bill the insurance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

For accurate info, please check with the appropriate state requirements. Members, please do NOT give advice as to questionable 'work arounds' etc. Thank you.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
With an understanding doctor in your home state and your DH's never abusing prescription medications, he/she might authorize a two month supply. Are these narcotic pain pills?

Some states will not allow a two month supply of narcotics and some insurance will not pay for 60 days.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
Are they narcotics?
Does the doctor electronically prescribe
Both important items

Narcotics = 30 days at a time = No electronic refills they need hard copies

YOU ARE WRONG. Our MD can escribe to anywhere in the USA for a 30 day supply of Oxycontin. Regularly done for us from New York to Walgreen's in Ohio, Texas and Arizona.

I'm pretty surprised at this statement. Narcotics require a written Rx.

Federal Laws on Prescribing Controlled Substances

New York state PROHIBITS written Narcotic RX's all must be ESCRIBED
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Have your doctor write out 2 or 3 30 day scripts dated 30,60 or 90 days out for you. Make sure you use the same pharmacy chain to fill them, I am biased to Walgreens as I manage one. It shouldn't be an issue as we have a few patients who do this. Speak with your doctor and pharmacist they are your advocates.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Mannon, if you want good suggestions post in detail..."strong?"
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With an understanding doctor in your home state and your DH's never abusing prescription medications, he/she might authorize a two month supply. Are these narcotic pain pills?