cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pilot and Flying Js

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
On our recent trip we came across two separate Pilot stations along I 75 in Ga and Fl that appeared to be more of a standard gas stations, than a for gas RVs pulling toads.

Are there fueling areas behind these stores with the 18 wheelers for gas, along with the diesel lanes ?

Don't get me wrong, I've used both in the past that had room to enter and exit the front gas fuel pumps.

Thanks.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !
17 REPLIES 17

Route_66_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
It's obvious that most Pilot, Flying J, and Love's truck stops were not designed by anyone with any RV experience. Most of the time the only pumps easy to get in AND OUT of are the ones on the end. Most of the time the pump islands are located way too close to the store/restaurant parking spots, making entry or exit difficult.

But then the same can be said for more than one RV park. The worst one we ever stayed at was in Yuma, AZ where the electrical hookup was at the rear of the pad, and the sewer connection was almost at the front...and on the wrong side to boot! Must have been designed by a recent college grad on his first assignment!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
mfinnerty wrote:
There is a Pilot/Town Pump station in Shelby MT with gas for RV's in two of the truck lanes behind the station. Wish more were like that.

Also the Flying J in Missoula, MT and the Pilot just west of Butte, MT. Those honored the RV card with Discount in Aug, 2017. They are both "Town Pump" stores.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
May have been said before in this thread--didn't research. I plan the day's fuel stops the night before using Allstays Camp & RV--well worth the $10 fee for me, but there used to be a free version that showed major stations only. It also shows Walmart stores for those that want to try to save a few cents on fuel. There is no doubt that the stations next to the Interstate highways are the most expensive, but I just pay it for the convenience. The miles shown on Allstays are low--must be as the crow flies. To get miles I use Google maps. I have to be careful of miles having a small fuel tank.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The two I can think of, south of Atlanta, are very tight to get into.
The first one going south near the intersection with the Lawrencville hwy, and old 41 I think, has two very tight rv lanes out front and the truck lanes in back.
You literally have to squeeze between the coach and pumps. No way will we pull in without one of us doing some guiding,Taht is how tight it is and the post show it, at the entry to and exit from the lanes
This is the one where they swiped our Debit/Credit card info in 2011.
We have stopped there twice in the past just because we wanted a full tank heading south uncertain of what was available and tank approaching 1/2 at that point.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
i tend to avoid the Pilot stations because so many are tight on space in the auto lanes where I prefer to fuel diesel. Don't like the 20 gal./min. nozzles in the truck lanes. Loves generally have plenty of room to maneuver in the auto lanes. Flying J are fine in the auto lanes and I can get the Good Sam discount. Have been in a few Flying Js where there was no gas in the RV lanes.

Never_2_late
Explorer
Explorer
I am very impressed at the quietness of the Flying J stations during the night. I just drove from Phoenix, AZ to Cincinnati, OH and back. Stayed several nights at FJ stations. Lots of other RVs were at each one and at first I figured I'd hear diesel engines running all night. To my pleasant surprise one could hear sweet silence all night. Then next am gas, get coffee and go. Great experience.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many small filling station/convenience store outlets under the Pilot brand. These will not have truck stop facilities, and many don't even pump diesel. That's where Pilot got started, before expanding into the truck stop and travel center business, and Pilot did a lot of expansion in the 70s and 80s buying up small outlets along the Interstate system in the middle of the country.

Flying J's should all be at least truck stops, some developed into travel centers for a broader audience, except that since Pilot bought the Flying J brand, they could have applied it to lesser facilities. But I don't think so, most everything new gets the Pilot brand.

For the past 35 years I've been in Love's country, prefer to stop there rather than Pilot, so I don't get into a lot of Pilot stations. Even when out of Love's country, I tend to prefer Petro over Pilot when looking for travel center facilities. Some of the Petro travel centers are almost destinations, like the Joplin I-44 travel center in SW Missouri.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
I downloaded their "app" and saved my favorite stations that have RV dedicated lanes.( Mostly at the FLying J's vice the pilots.) My only gripe is I have no idea why they design the stations so the pumps are perpendicular AND close to the Store/building vice being "off-set" and a little further away.

And in short, yeah..an island with GASOLINE in the trucker area would be a nice add on for RV's. Probably wont happen due to tank locations and having to run a lot more piping.

We also have a "travel log" that we keep notes in on gas stations. Ive found some ones with fantastic maneuvering space, and don't want to forget where they were.

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Pilot/Town Pump station in Shelby MT with gas for RV's in two of the truck lanes behind the station. Wish more were like that.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Triker33 wrote:
In GA. on I75 they are Flying J's with RV Islands at Exits 2, 201 and 320.
All 3 have a Denny's.

The one at 201 has lots of RV parking room, even a few days before xmas there was plenty of room when we rolled in at 2am and the RV spaces are well away from the truck traffic. Do note that the entry to that area from the ramp closer to the store is quite steep, we popped our disconnect switch on the trailer brakes there was so much flex.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most Flying-J's are "Travel Centers" they have parking for Trucks, dedicated Parking for RV's and special fuel lanes for RV's with both gas and diesel.

Pilots vary.. MOST have truck parking, Few have RV parking, some are formerly _____ gas stations (not even truck parking)

The one I like is is Beaverdam OH.. Pilot on one side of the road. Flying-J on the other. I park at the J.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
In GA. on I75 they are Flying J's with RV Islands at Exits 2, 201 and 320.
All 3 have a Denny's.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
While most PFJ's are company owned, there are some independent dealers selling Pilot supplied fuel with Pilot signage. The ones that can be a little misleading are the independents that sell Pilot's diesel fuel in their truck lanes, but another brand of gas at the front car pumps.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !