cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pilot lights ok, oven burner won't ignite

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old Magic Chef oven that was never used often and is in great shape. Suddenly after lighting pilot the burner will not ignite. Took assembly apart and checked all lines for obstructions and found none. What is recommendation on further trouble shooting or does problem point to a specific bad part?
Thank you for your time and suggestions
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bob_nestor wrote:
Doug is probably spot on with his advice, but the other thing that could cause something like this is the propane regulator needing replacement.

I had the same problem as the OP described - burners wouldn't stay lit. The refrigerator would work on propane but the propane powered generator wouldn't stay running. I replaced the regulator and everything was back to normal.

What I discovered in my research is there's a small bit of oil added to propane gas to keep things lubricated. Sometimes the propane supplier overdoes it with the oil and when that happens it collects in the regulator and basically reduces the gas flow to the point where appliances needing higher gas flow stop working.

A defective/marginal LP regulator will NOT cause your problem. So, a quick test. Light all 3 or 4 range burners. Do they all have the same flame? if so, your problem for the oven is not a regulator. Then with the Range burners lit, turn on the water heater or furnace. Watch the range flames. IF they pulsate or diminish while the W/H or Furnace is running you DO need a new regulator. Doug

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you sir. Now to figure which part to purchase first and where to buy it

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doug is probably spot on with his advice, but the other thing that could cause something like this is the propane regulator needing replacement.

I had the same problem as the OP described - burners wouldn't stay lit. The refrigerator would work on propane but the propane powered generator wouldn't stay running. I replaced the regulator and everything was back to normal.

What I discovered in my research is there's a small bit of oil added to propane gas to keep things lubricated. Sometimes the propane supplier overdoes it with the oil and when that happens it collects in the regulator and basically reduces the gas flow to the point where appliances needing higher gas flow stop working.

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
thx Doug. Now to find correct part # due to company changing hands 3 times to date

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If the pilot stays lit, but burner will not light, the problem is the Oven Temp control assbly. Doug

PS, with the pilot lit, WATCH the pilot as you turn the Oven knob to 350 degrees(any temp). The Pilot flame should get BIGGER to heat the oven thermister. IF the flame does NOT get bigger, same problem, the Oven tstat assbly.

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking it now may be a part but not sure which one

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for input Doug but no go

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Take the over temp knob off and install a paper shim inside the knob shaft. This allows the indent to allow the burner side to open when calling for oven burner lighting. You are pushing it in just 1/8 inch further when pushing and twisting to the set temp. Doug