cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nomadland

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
Great movie in my opinion. It's available on Hulu and in theaters now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxCFZ8_d84
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD
26 REPLIES 26

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
So I thought more about the movie then heard it won all kinds of awards. Know what I think now: it is a stupid movie. I just wanted to see Quartzite to see what it is like and hopefully see some cool old campers. Not interested in thinking about the bad stuff that happens to people. I got enough of my own.... But it made me realize that the BLM free camping areas will probably be a mess by the time I ever get over there. Gotta keep looking for places to go....

I've been trying to see 'Nomadland' since it played at the Venice Film Festival last year. Finally, saw it on Saturday at an IMAX theater. It's a movie that grew on me as the story unfolded. The nomad lifestyle featured was more a backdrop for the movie, a sometimes heartbreaking commentary in itself on the plight of some retired persons in society. But the story was really about Fern caught in her grief of losing her husband, community, and livelihood in a former factory town. Which is holding her back from living her new life?

Toward the end, Fern realizes she "spent too much time remembering". Gives up her former life placed away in storage. Visits her old house, in now abandoned town overlooking the desert and mountains she once mentioned earlier. IMO, the final scene where she drives toward those mountains is a indication she's ready to move on?

Nomadland won the Golden Globe for best drama picture.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
fourthclassC wrote:
Thanks , I felt about the same way. Looking forward to a long trip probably 6 -8 months, but not gonna sell the old homestead. Need to have a place to come home to.... Easy to plan but I know my plans are not the ones that count.

Probably off-topic a bit ... but your comment above "Easy to plan but I know my plans are not the ones that count" ... for some reason reminded me of this famous statement by Albert Einstein:

"What counts canโ€™t always be counted; what can be counted doesnโ€™t always count."

๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks , I felt about the same way. Looking forward to a long trip probably 6 -8 months, but not gonna sell the old homestead. Need to have a place to come home to.... Easy to plan but I know my plans are not the ones that count.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just watched it last evening. The DW and myself are retired and use our RV only a few times a year for true recreational purposes - not having to live in it as our home.

We had mixed fealings about what the movie was intended to convey to us about that kind of lifestyle. We really felt quite "sad" after watching it. Mostly sad for the situations that the characters found themselves in, even though many appeared to be enjoying themselves some of the time. We have camped at Quartzsite a few times and of course hence camped around some folks that probably were in the very life situations depicted in the movie.

During our two longest RV trips of 9 and 10 weeks we did get into the feeling of being "free nomads" and it was wonderful for a bit during those short periods. At the end of both trips we were glad we had a home base to return to ... but our home is in a natural setting equal to many of the beautiful places where we camped on those trips.

Here's a bunch of reviews on it ... that are all over the map:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9770150/reviews?ref_=tt_urv
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I started to watch Nomadland but just couldn't get into it and turned it off. Maybe will try again later.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just watched it. It get's a 2.5 rotten tomato rating here.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ll have to check that out.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Watched last nite.I did like it,I have met some folks like the ones in the movie and I think they were portrayed very well.

Most of them are real people who live that lifestyle. That plus the story and great acting by the "real" actors made it great to me. It was filmed in 2018 and look where we are now. People who ended up in similar circumstances. Some by choice and others not.

My daughter is hell bent on living in a camper van and I'm not opposed to it. I would love to live on the road though I would need some amenities that a van can't provide. She's only 16 so I have some time. But i had her watch it so she can see it's not only the glamour she sees on social media.
2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watched last nite.I did like it,I have met some folks like the ones in the movie and I think they were portrayed very well.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C