cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nomadland by Jessica Bruder

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nomadland by Jessica Bruder is on sale by Audible, today only, at $3.95. I don't know anything about it but it is apparently about Workampers:

"From the beet fields of North Dakota to the wilderness campgrounds of California to an Amazon warehouse in Texas, people who once might have kicked back to enjoy their sunset years are hard at work. Underwater on mortgages or finding that Social Security comes up short, they're hitting the road in astonishing numbers, forming a new community of nomads: RV and van-dwelling migrant laborers, or "workampers". "

I haven't heard about any beet pickers on the forum tho, heh.

Audible-audio book
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
8 REPLIES 8

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Nomadland by Jessica Bruder is on sale by Audible, today only, at $3.95. I don't know anything about it but it is apparently about Workampers:

"From the beet fields of North Dakota to the wilderness campgrounds of California to an Amazon warehouse in Texas, people who once might have kicked back to enjoy their sunset years are hard at work. Underwater on mortgages or finding that Social Security comes up short, they're hitting the road in astonishing numbers, forming a new community of nomads: RV and van-dwelling migrant laborers, or "workampers". "

I haven't heard about any beet pickers on the forum tho, heh.

Audible-audio book

We have been retired and full timers since Sep 2010 and never done ANY workkamping but many have to include beet harvesting. Google is your friend. LOL.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Irover wrote:
at least their working and not living off the taxpayer whats the problem??
I don't have any problem with it, I was just saying that when we say workamper it does not correspond with the way that book uses the term. But you are right, hats off to the workers of this country.
Superbumper

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
at least their working and not living off the taxpayer whats the problem??

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Just reading the blurb it makes full-timers sound like migrant laborers.

I read the book and I don't want to get this argument going again.

It's not about full timers as we know them on this forum.
It's about down and out people who roam around looking for work. It's a lose community who live on the fringes and keep in touch.

Moved from ATC

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks agesilaus. Sounds interesting so I'll give it try.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
This sounds like the same book that was causing some controversy on the forum some weeks back.

Just reading the blurb it makes full-timers sound like migrant laborers.
Superbumper

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
This sounds like the same book that was causing some controversy on the forum some weeks back.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"