cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New tower, is trailer weight or length biggest factor?

OttawaDon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks. We are shopping for our first TT; I had in my mind that probably a 25-27 foot length trailer would be my upper limit as I will be a new tower.

We attended an RV show today (my gosh these things are great) and fell in love with a Dutchman Kodiak Express 264RLSL model, unfortunately it is a little longer than 30 feet. At least I was smart enough to not buy it first until I can read and research.

Weight-wise I should be fine with my Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. I continuously read that you should buy your 3rd trailer first but I'm not so sure about learning to tow such a big beast.

I would be fine going down a model and a few feet in length/weight. I guess my question is: Would the learning curve take that much longer for a 30 foot trailer than a 25 footer? Sorry for the basic question, I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible for my first tow.
12 REPLIES 12

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just be aware that 10% to 15% is TYPICAL. There is no law of man or physics that says the tongue weight can't or won't ever go past 15%.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Don,

TW can range from on average about 12% as mentioned, to possibly as high as 15%. Some trailers like more, some tow just fine with a little less.

Using 12% based on the trailers gvwr is a good start, since chances are you will not be loading the trailer to 100% of the gvwr.

Also as mentioned, just watch what you load in the bed of the truck once you figure out what your tw (including your wd hitch) is, and how much the passengers weigh.

When you get the trailer, and get it loaded, load the truck and trailer and hit the local CAT Scale. Weigh 3 times total:
1: Truck and trailer ready to roll down the road
2: Truck and trailer, but with the wd bars unlatched (wd bars in the bed of the truck)
3: Truck only, leave hitch in and wd bars in the bed.
Post up your numbers and we will be able to figure out what your tw is.

As for towing, just take your time, don't cut the corners, and as mentioned don't be afraid to practice in a local parking lot! Consider setting up some cones and practice seeing how the trailer tracks when making a 90* turn near them, but don't run over the cones!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

OttawaDon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, some great advice from everyone, just what I wanted. Although I believe I can tow this trailer safely, I think I'll dial it back just a bit to give me a bit more margin.Thank you for the tips on learning to tow to considering all the numbers. Great forum.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the information supplied it appears you can safely tow the trailer. How well it behaves depends on many other factors (placement of weight in the trailer including holding tanks). Invest in a quality integrated WD/sway control hitch and ensure it is installed and adjusted correctly for optimum experience. backing a longer trailer is easier than short ones and weight and length are secondary for the most part to frontal area sailing through the wind. If you are inexperienced I would suggest some shorter trips initially until you are comfortable towing the trailer.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
OttawaDon wrote:
Ah, thanks guys, I know good advice when I read it. The GVWR of the trailer is 7600 lbs, so 12% of that is 912#, add 100 for the WDH and I'm at 1012 pounds hitch weight. Does this sound right?

My Ram is rated for 1200 hitch weight and about 9000 towing. The payload is about 1700 pounds.

If I'm reading you guys correctly, I'm within specs.

Your numbers are right. Looks like you'll have enough payload for people, and some gear in the truck as well.

Hope you enjoy the camping experience!

Jerry

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
OttawaDon wrote:
Ah, thanks guys, I know good advice when I read it. The GVWR of the trailer is 7600 lbs, so 12% of that is 912#, add 100 for the WDH and I'm at 1012 pounds hitch weight. Does this sound right?

My Ram is rated for 1200 hitch weight and about 9000 towing. The payload is about 1700 pounds.

Your 1700lb of cargo capacity will be ate up quick. 1000lb hitch weight only leaves you 700lb for passengers and stuff. You will be real close.
May not be a big deal if you only go 50km, could be a big deal going 400km. YMMV
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your WDH is also an anti-sway hitch. Make sure it's set up correctly.

Length will affect handling. Weight and wind resistance will have more affect on towing power, especially on long grades and at high altitude.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

OttawaDon
Explorer
Explorer

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to post a question like "I am looking at a Dutchman 26RLSL" What do you think?

As for learning to back in a 30' VS 25' long trailer? Probably fairly close on the learning curve.

What you might not find is a lot of forest service campgrounds with space for a 35' or longer RV. 30' sites are a little easier to find, and 25' you can find them all over. With the 40' Country Coach that I drove up to Sequoia NP for my buddy, we pulled into a campground, and took the very first site that happened to be about 41' long. Drove around the campground looking for a better site (not in full sun in July 9th) and found nothing large enough for his RV.

So on a popular weekend, you might find it easier to find a campsite for a 26' RV than for a 30' RV. That said, my motorhome is 30' long, and I have backed it into some sites rated for a 26' long travel trailer, with about 5' sticking over the parking bumper, due to the 8 foot rear overhang on my motorhome. I can fit that into places that you might not be able to back in a trailer, because it is easier to back in a motorhome, than a trailer of the same length.

Good luck with your purchase! Practice backing up in a local paring lot. If you can back the truck into your parking space at work, or at home, do that. You will gain practice in backing up, and will find it easier with the RV too! Now I hate 'pulling' in to my carport at home, as I find it more difficult to back out of the carport, and I can see the kids playing in the street much better when I pull out, not back out. And early mornings when the windshield is not clear, it is safer to pull out VS backing out.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Five extra feet will not be a noticeable difference. It may even be easier to back, with the extra length.

With a 1500, you will have to watch the hitch weight. Don't be fooled by the dry hitch weight, as you will add a lot of weight to the trailer. It is best to figure 10-12% of the trailer GVWR, for actual hitch weight, plus another 100#s for WDH.

Get the trailer you want, but keep an eye on truck payload, not how much can it pull.

Jerry

Pooter
Explorer
Explorer
IMO tongue weight and payload become the biggest factor in going to a larger trailer and a half ton truck. What is the numbers on the trailer your looking at , and the truck you own? Also be conscious of where the Fresh water tank is and how hauling water and then filling your black/grey tanks is going to effect your tongue weight.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Soend some time here researching Dutchman in regards to quality and customer service.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)