cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need TOAD advice ........................

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a FLAT TOW car , but it seems that almost EVERY one I consider , has really rotten ratings and histories on Car Complaints website.
I prefer something between 2005 and 2012 , for price reasons.
Jeeps ... ALL , seem to be a garbage car..
Saturns ... seem to drop transmissions often...
Equinox ... appears to have LOTS of complaints, except for '09 and '14 and newer...
Malibus ... Perhaps the worst transmissions & steering columns ever made...
Pickups ... just too heavy ...
I have had 5 in the past , and minimal issues , but those were older , and as such, made better than the non-American versions of newer ones.

I would GREATLY enjoy any input from actual owners on this topic.

Thank You
36 REPLIES 36

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Find a 2011 HHR.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have to have an auto trans? You can find quite a few flat towable automatics during the years you want but a decreasing number as you get newer. Make sure the transmission you get actually is towable. The owner's manual is the final authority but finding it can be tricky. We have towed a Chevy Sonic (nice and lite and a respectable inexpensive car to own) and now a 2017 Ford Focus hatchback( 200 to 300 lbs. heavier and a questionnable trans. but I really like the car.). Unless you have a large Class A with a diesel I personally wouldn't tow anything much heavier (3000 lbs.) but plenty do.
Jayco-noslide

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy ... I am happy that YOURS is serving you well , and I am sure that MANY other owners say the same ... however .... Car Complaints website shows a VAST disapproval by so many owners that I do not wish to chance them , as a whole.
The Cherokee - Grand Cherokee - Wrangler - Liberty being the worst of them .... and as I have personally looked at them in past years , I rarely found one that the AC worked ... or that the 4WD shifted without 3 ( strong ) people tugging on the lever.
Thanks for the response , and I hope YOURS serves you well in the future.

I owned an ENVOY / worked well but heavy
Saturn LW ...Great car but rather tight fit for humans
Saturn S-Series ... Small but fine car ... in it's day
Tracker ... GARBAGE
HHR ... Great Tow Car , but VERY VERY hard to sell
CR-V ... Transmission does NOT hold up

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
My Jeep is not garbage. Well, maybe it smells a little bit when Iโ€™m driving it, but itโ€™s not garbage.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Y-Guy
Richard_999 wrote:
I am looking for a FLAT TOW car , but it seems that almost EVERY one I consider , has really rotten ratings and histories on Car Complaints website.
I prefer something between 2005 and 2012 , for price reasons.
Jeeps ... ALL , seem to be a garbage car..

So when you say Jeeps you need to qualify it a bit as there is the JEEP (Wrangler) and then every other sub-model they make; Cherokee, Compass, Rengade, etc.

I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara coming up on 97k miles and I've had zero problems. Just normal service and tires. Vast majority of Wrangler owners I know are the same. There were some years that were prone to some issues. The 2012 year had the new 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine, and early on there were some issues. But to say they are a garbage car is a gross overstatement IMHO. However there is a reason you see so many Jeeps being towed behind motor homes, they are one of the easiest to tow and come with the fewest restrictions.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a 2007 New Beetle with manual transmission. It is a great toad.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
See how the Honda CRV in that date range rates. We tow a 2011 Toyota RAV4 that's been virtually trouble free (one O2 sensor replaced) since new. The RAV4 does require a Remco transmission lube pump though, that adds another $1k or so to the setup costs.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate