cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Distance 5th wheel

jrsquares
Explorer
Explorer
I recently retired after 31 years in law enforcement and now want to be on the road for fun. I have a 2019 F350 Super Duty with an 8 foot bed. I am looking for an aux fuel transfer tank/tool box combo where I can push fuel into my truck tank with the flick of a switch. Fuel is priced nicely in my area and I want to take advantage of this. Does anyone have any safe recommendations which will not break the bank?
17 REPLIES 17

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
ryoung wrote:
I had a TransferFlow across the bed auxiliary tank on a previous truck. I didn't even have to flip a switch, it was all automatic. I would highly recommend this system.

Go here.

ryoung

Iโ€™ve had a couple of those. Most recently a 98 gal in an F-450. They did the job very nicely and Iโ€™d get another if I bought a new truck.

BUT....

If price is the major consideration, forget about Transferflow.
Larry

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ivbinconned wrote:
Since original poster mentioned budget concerns I will share that I have installed tanks in 6 or 7 trucks. All tanks have cost me about $100!
I source diesel tanks out of scraped farm equipment. The best ones than I have found is the oval shaped tanks from the older Gleaner combines. Very easy to install in a truck bed with the top of them a hair lower that your bed rails.
The last one I did is in a 2016 Ram.
The only issue with this tank is that the fill cap is in the middle so I took it to a shop and had it moved to the drivers side. I love it. It is a very nice set up. If you want to see a picture I can take one.
Oh ya one more thing. I had a shop roll me a piece of checker aluminum to clad it.

Now that's a cool idea! I should have saved the one from our old Gleaner. Getting kinda hard to find those old combines around here anymore though.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II

It holds 70 imperial gallons. And as suggested here I always install an inline 3 micron filter and do all filling through the auxiliary tank.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since original poster mentioned budget concerns I will share that I have installed tanks in 6 or 7 trucks. All tanks have cost me about $100!
I source diesel tanks out of scraped farm equipment. The best ones than I have found is the oval shaped tanks from the older Gleaner combines. Very easy to install in a truck bed with the top of them a hair lower that your bed rails.
The last one I did is in a 2016 Ram.
The only issue with this tank is that the fill cap is in the middle so I took it to a shop and had it moved to the drivers side. I love it. It is a very nice set up. If you want to see a picture I can take one.
Oh ya one more thing. I had a shop roll me a piece of checker aluminum to clad it.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a "Stash-N-Gas" in my 97 Dodge but they're not making them anymore. Held 50 gallons and was plumbed into the return line from the pump...worked like a champ. But that was a 12 valve mechanical truck. It would do just over 1,000 miles pulling the HR 26RKS.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor supply has everything, don't forget a tank filter. I did not do the gravity fill & use it as designed as a transfer tank. I always fill the truck from the transfer and fill the tank as needed. I did the tank for distance & price, gas buddy will show up to .90 a gallon difference in the same city. With about an 80 gallon you have a range of 1000+ miles which lets me no fuel in CA or WA with over priced fuel.

Get the GPI pump, I had two Fill-Rights quit after one or two fills.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
I had a TransferFlow across the bed auxiliary tank on a previous truck. I didn't even have to flip a switch, it was all automatic. I would highly recommend this system.

Go here.

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get the gravity feed valves from Northern Tool.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ I've bought a few tanks and pumps from tractor supply. Never seen any hardware for the gravity setups or plumbed in pump setups there. Just basic transfer tanks and external pumps around here.

JME, RDS and Transferflow are the best quality IMO for tanks or tank/toolbox combos. Pick one or buy any tank and put together the pieces for how you want to transfer fuel. Not too bad of a jigsaw puzzle, biggest thing is sourcing an appropriate check valve for an automatic gravity system if you go that way.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tractor Supply will likely have what you need. That 8 ft bed will work fine with the big tank
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
RDS makes a great system. I have installed a few for long haulers.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
jrsquares wrote:
*Brake
Do you know the difference between brake and break? A lot of folks here do not.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'll assume you have a diesel. I ordered an RDS combo 91 gal/tool box from Northern Tool. Installed it myself. It is a gravity feed that I can manually turn on and off. Didn't see the need for a pump and all that. I flip the valve and let it run. Been using it for 5 years now, no issues. I don't have to drag the condo into gas stations any more. I'm retired LEO sgt and doing my best to put 30 years out of my memory.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE