cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mosquitos

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides bugspray, was wondering what everyone uses to help control the mosquitos around your campsite?
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018
48 REPLIES 48

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I both have our own personal thermacells.lol
They are 100% effective but only last 4 hours before you need to replace pads.

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a mosquito machine. Can order them on line. Expensive but they work. They work best in a place you will be in for a few weeks. This machine runs on propane. You buy a mosquito attractant so they will go into the machine. machine is called "Mosquito Magnet". Look it up on line.

We had mosquitos so bad at our house, we could not enjoy our yard or decks. We bought this Mosquito Magnet and about a week or two, the mosquitos were gone.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
here's something to try, EQUATE BABY, Baby Cream. I tested this for my wife when we were at Leavenworth, though the skeeters weren't that bad. I put some on and took the dog for several long walks in the afternoon and evening and never once did I get bit. I did see them around me so I know they were their. tested it again at Diamond Lake in central Or. the big skeeters weren't out yet to early I guess but anyway NO bites. I HAVE NOT tested on the big skeeters at Diamond Lake the ones in my previous post^^^above. so no report i'm going over in late August hopefully i'll test it then. try it its safe for babies so it should be safe for you old geezers. Johnsons also makes it, see it on Google.
Jay D.

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
badsix wrote:
at the hi lakes in Oregon they are vicious and have been known to carry fishermen from their boats.
Jay D.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
at the hi lakes in Oregon they are vicious and have been known to carry fishermen from their boats.
Jay D.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
DRM796 wrote:
OP here.
So we had a fan, the bug bracelets, cans of OFF, citronella torches/candles/lanterns and some small logs that you put in the fire that repel bugs. And used none of it. We had a beautiful dry and breezy 5 day stay. So the trick is take everything you may possibly need and use none of it. Well we'll be ready for the 4th.

Yup, that how it often works for me. Any thing that I take I don't need . Any thing that I leave at home I end up needing.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is no breeze I use Citronella candles and Tiki torches with Citronella fuel. If there is a breeze, I'll use an oscillating fan if I have power as they can't fly in too much wind or deet if I don't have power.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
riven1950 wrote:
etstorm wrote:
Mix a large bottle of blue mouthwash,epsom salt, and stale beer in a pump up sprayer and spray liberally area the campsite.

Works for flys also

I'm just trying to figure out how someone came up with this formula ๐Ÿ™‚

Not saying it will not work.

Google for Paul Harvey mosquito repellent. That's where my mom got it from. I've heard "cheap" beer, hadn't heard the stale part. She says it works, I've never actually tried it.

CC

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here.
So we had a fan, the bug bracelets, cans of OFF, citronella torches/candles/lanterns and some small logs that you put in the fire that repel bugs. And used none of it. We had a beautiful dry and breezy 5 day stay. So the trick is take everything you may possibly need and use none of it. Well we'll be ready for the 4th.
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018

aysstephanie
Explorer
Explorer
We use an old school mosquito coil in a metal screen holder. It slow burns inside the holder and we clip it to the top of the dining tent just outside the main door. Does a great job!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Etstorm wrote:
Mix a large bottle of blue mouthwash,epsom salt, and stale beer in a pump up sprayer and spray liberally area the campsite.

Works for flys also

How long have you been a member of RVnet? You should know that you can not spray that concoction around a campsite, it will cause grave environmental harm and may kick off the apocalypse. You should know that based on what a little dishwater will do according to these boards when dumped in the woods.

In the least you'll end up in jail. It's illegal.

What this concoction really does is waste your money (and beer) while having no effect at all on the bugs.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Etstorm wrote:

Works for flys also

How long have you been a member of RVnet? You should know that you can not spray that concoction around a campsite, it will cause grave environmental harm and may kick off the apocalypse. You should know that based on what a little dishwater will do according to these boards when dumped in the woods.

In the least you'll end up in jail. It's illegal.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Stale + Beer should never be used in the same sentence. Thats just plain wrong

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mosquitoes sense your fear. ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, sort of. Mosquitoes sense the CO2 from your breath (in addition to skin odors) so if you get anxious and breath faster, you could be attracting more of them. :E

I've been around them since the day I was born because we camped every summer at my parents cabin where there was plenty of them. I've gotten used to just ignoring them and they don't seem to bother me.

Thermacell works pretty good if you want to sit outside. Inside, a fly swatter works okay except I have high freq. hearing loss and can't hear them anymore. DW points them out and it's my job to whack them. She has some kinda Avon product she uses.

Worst CG we've been to was next to the Pend Oreille river in Newport WA. Wall to wall mosquitoes and other flying insects so bad it was impossible to be outside. Like a London pea soup fog. Don't go there!!!