cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moles

Happycamper30
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a sure good method that works either to kill moles or repellant and also how to keep mice out of the rv during winter.
Thank you,
Ron.
21 REPLIES 21

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Never found a grub on my property but I do have earthworms in my yard, their main diet. I've had 100% success using mole bait: Amdro

More than you want to know about moles

MickUpi
Explorer
Explorer
I have read on many RV forums and FB groups about the horrors of mice and rats getting into RVs. This as we all know can be downright scary. Also the damage they cause can be significant. The following is my fix. Hopefully it will help someone. I'm sorry for it being so long but it's quite detailed. Here goes. I don't think RV makers have but one drill bit, and it's a big one. They will drill a big hole for a small thermostat wire. Look inside your cabinets at the floor and you will find holes for plumbing and wiring. After raising our table and taking the cushions and wooden seat out to expose the converter, fuse box, and transfer switch I found 3 holes in the floor. All of them had plenty of space around the wires. There was steel wool packed in these holes. It might deter them but it will not stop them. I pulled out the steel wool and purchased two cans of Great Stuff expanding foam. It comes in two kinds, a crack filler and a cavity filler. You will need the cavity filler. Use this foam to fill all the holes. If you miss one they will find it. The mice and rats will not try to eat through the foam. Since it seals off all light and air they never see it as a path of entry to get in. Be sure to seal all holes under cabinets too. One of the more difficult holes to seal was by the gas furnace where the gas line came up. It was a stretch and hard to get to but it can be done. Depending on the way your RV is constructed you may be able to run some of the Great Stuff into the holes from the bottom too. Also don't forget your refrigerator, it has holes in the floor under it for the gas line and wiring. Many RVs have a drawer under the refrigerator. This will give you easy access. I leave them a treat in the storage under the floor. It's a cake looking chunk of poison. I don't think you can keep them out of the storage areas. There is just too many cracks and crevices they can enter in. In my case in our motorhome the AC power cord is wired direct and comes up thru the bottom of the storage floor. All the mice have to do is climb up the cord and come in the storage area where I have a nice little treat for them. As a final note, if you seal the holes and the critters still get in you have missed a hole somewhere. Find it and seal it and you won't be bothered again.

dedmiston
Foggy wrote:
The mouse poop didn't smell bad though.

Lemons -->> Lemonade :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Foggy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a classic car in winter storage in a barn.I put bars of Irish Spring on the floors and in the trunk. The mice ate 'em! In the spring there were odd shapes of soap bars left. The mouse poop didn't smell bad though.
Mice were storing dog food in Daughters basement dresser so Daughter put in moth balls to keep them away. Mice took the moth balls away and continued to haul in dog food. Mice use dryer sheets for bedding.
For the moles that build hills, I open the hill to find their hole. Then insert a funnel with a short hose attached. Then I pour in some ammonia and some bleach, about a quarter cup each. BEING CAREFUL TO KEEP THEM SEPARATE until in the hole!!!! Combined the bleach and ammonia make a poison gas.
Happy-Trails
Foggy

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
go to amazon and search for "mole eliminator".

I have one of those and they are bad news for moles.

As soon as a mole tunnels onto my property from one of the neighbors, he is mine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Best mole trap I ever used. Killing grubs may help a little but Moles will eat worms too. https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/23118

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
mgirardo wrote:
At our seasonal campground, a camper a few sites down from us, put mothballs under the trailer, not inside the trailer.

That's what I do as well, to keep the mice away.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So are the moles getting into the RV, or just a general home and garden question?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jeremy_kirby
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't had rodent problems in my RV, however they do visit the garage and now I'm at war with these little buggers. It seems that our cat is not a good repellant after all. She's just not interested in them.
We have been told (and here are proofs) that mice don't like the smell of Irish Soap. Any good luck with it?

We tried to stay humane, but as peppermint oil is certainly not going to work, I'm afraid we should prepare for the worst. I have already found that ultrasound repellers are not helpful.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Latner wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Moles? The only way I have ever seen to get rid of them, and keep them gone involves getting rid of grubs. Nothing to eat? Gone.

X2. Treat the area with Scotts Grub-Ex.

I didn't read his post before posting.I need to get some for my lawn too.
Amazing I never think of this stuff unless prompted by reading someone else's problems.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
Moles? The only way I have ever seen to get rid of them, and keep them gone involves getting rid of grubs. Nothing to eat? Gone.

X2. Treat the area with Scotts Grub-Ex.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We had a problem with moles at our old home. I tried several methods to get rid of them.
it was humid and warm one summer and we had the blsck mold on the fescue and slime molds on a few boulders.
i put out granular, I think, fungacide. A day or so later, after some rain, we heard squeaking in the yard. Moles were running here and there. The rain dissolved the fungacide into the ground. Moles feed on worms and grubs and bugs, and even little snakes.
They didn't like the fungacide.It irritated them or something.
I caught one off them and daughter took it to school for show and tell.
It ate every cricket and bug dropped into the little plastic cage. They eat continously and a lot.
The moles are after the worms and grubs. We have a lot of grubs that eat grass and other roots in one section now. If I spot a mole I will try to catch and release it there. The falcon, and others, that we had around from high up in the oaks caught some moles in the other part of the field yard. They see the ground move and know it is a rodent or mole. They are never very deep being right up near the roots, or so it seems. The only thing with the fungacide is it kills the worms, European Earth Worms that are everywhere now. I don't know if we have native earthworm, other than the huge some as big as small snakes found sporatically.
oh the moles left or died.
On edit: I have heard that chickens will kill them as they do small mice and snakes, but I don't know.They dig them out when they see the earth move.
Kids have some exotic chickens but I or someone would have to stand guard because of the coyotes which killed 9 in the pen...and the falcons and hawks and eagles which would set up housekeeping again when they cruise through.
It strikes me that Grubacide would kill them too...but I don't know.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

Heard that as well from exterminator.

OP, we live in the mountains where mice are prevalent.
Only method that has ever worked and we've tried everything under the sun is simply prevent entry.

After dark, turn on every light in trailer and open every cabinet door, pull out drawers.
Now climb under trailer with a can of spray foam and chase the light.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
For mice, you need to plug ALL the holes on the bottom of the RV. I used steel wool plugs then filled them with spray foam. For moles, park a running lawn mower on top of one of their tunnels for a bit every couple days and just let it run until out of gas. The racket drives them nuts. And as long as they get crazy before you do, all will be well.