cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mixing NLGI2 grease with multi purpose grease

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I need to lube the zerk on my B&W companion hitch and have NLGI2 grease in the gun, can I mix NLGI2 grease with multi purpose grease?

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

rav
Explorer
Explorer
thanks

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
I just wipe off what's left on there with a paper towel and reapply whatever kind of grease I have handy.

Ditto, with proper grease at each location.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just wipe off what's left on there with a paper towel and reapply whatever kind of grease I have handy.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rav
Explorer
Explorer
looks like I will be getting some white lithium grease. LOL What a typo!
PS what is the best way to clean the grease off the bushings?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rav wrote:
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/sites/default/files/documents/2019%20Companion%20Owners%20Manual%20WEB.pdf

page 24

Thanks!

Have to say that's the first time I have seen that spec!!!

"As needed, grease the polyurethane bushings with multi-purpose grease"

I just sent them an email on this subject.

As your President of the "B&W HEAVYWEIGHT FANBOY CLUB" I have a message from headquarters regarding their manual stating multipurpose grease to be used on the polyurethane head mounts! See below

Ron,

Thank you for your inquiry. We greatly appropriate you bringing this to our attention. This is a typo in our Companion owner's manual. We will be getting this corrected. White lithium grease is what we recommend as the best grease to use on your polyurethane bushings. If you have any questions please feel free to let me know.

Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thank You,

Casey
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
his thread got me to thinking tat maybe I should service/lube my trusty Reese 15K.

Dayum, I had to use a brass drift and two pound hammer to knock the tilt pin out. So it is all taken care of now. hope it works with lube on it. :R

Dang Dave...forget about that hammer, just move on from that "trusty old Reese"!! Get a new Patriot 16K, drop it in your old rails, and enjoy the ease of use, including the ZERK!

I've read your post about being "older than dirt"! Why not spend a small bit of your fortune on a new/improved hitch? You can't take that money on your next journey, enjoy it now!:W

Jerry

Amen Brother!!!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dave H M wrote:
his thread got me to thinking tat maybe I should service/lube my trusty Reese 15K.

Dayum, I had to use a brass drift and two pound hammer to knock the tilt pin out. So it is all taken care of now. hope it works with lube on it. :R

Dang Dave...forget about that hammer, just move on from that "trusty old Reese"!! Get a new Patriot 16K, drop it in your old rails, and enjoy the ease of use, including the ZERK!

I've read your post about being "older than dirt"! Why not spend a small bit of your fortune on a new/improved hitch? You can't take that money on your next journey, enjoy it now!:W

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

rav
Explorer
Explorer
keep me posted, it's not a big deal to clean and relube. would not be the first time a manufacturer had wrong info.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rav wrote:
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/sites/default/files/documents/2019%20Companion%20Owners%20Manual%20WEB.pdf

page 24

Thanks!

Have to say that's the first time I have seen that spec!!!

"As needed, grease the polyurethane bushings with multi-purpose grease"

I just sent them an email on this subject.

rav
Explorer
Explorer

page 24

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rav wrote:
I used the grease on the rubber mount, per the instructions I got with the hitch, other than that I did exactly as you suggested.

Please show me your directions showing regular grease on the mounts, as White Lithium is what they recommend.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I used the grease on the rubber mount, per the instructions I got with the hitch, other than that I did exactly as you suggested.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for posting that vid!!!

To keep things less messy (as shown in vid) I advise cleaning the hitch jaws and kingpin, then apply about one-two pumps from standard grease gun on the kingpin with your finger on the surface the hitch jaws contact.

Personally I would not use the spray Lithium grease as it will get places you don't want it. I prefer a squeeze tube of the White Lithium Grease. I apply it to the top and sides of the rubber mount with my finger.

Solvent is NOT required to clean any of the grease off. A paper towel works just fine!