cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Learned an expensive lesson today

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We have been fulltime rving since Feb. 2019. Didn't realize that unless you have and live at an actual address you can't get a bank loan. Crazy!! We have had a few other problems also with not having an actual residence. We had to buy a new truck and take it all from our savings. We had no choice. So those of you wanting to do this
Lifestyle keep a piece of property it will make this lifestyle easier.
Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
26 REPLIES 26

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
No experience with Kemba. Sorry
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

matthewfox
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you ever had any experience with kemba? I wanna talk to their kemba credit union customer support https://www.pissedconsumer.com/company/kemba-credit-union/customer-service.htmlby link to get some financial advice.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We are with Americas Mailbox. We have a PMB address. It's our legal address.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
It's really simple to us. We just never lie about anything. People can adapt to anything without lie.
Just curious--what do you use for "garaging address" on your vehicle insurance? That's one where I "lie" but I know the insurance company knows I'm "lying" because they're insuring me as a traveling fulltimer.

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm surprised you have any credit rating. I've fulltimed since 2005 and my credit is listed as "thin". Plus the 2 of the big 3 credit reporting agencies were 6 address behind the current one and one was a mere 5 address behind. But since I discovered that one of the biggie is nothing but a mail drop for an address, I stopped paying much attention to them (I was trying to get my brother-in-law's name removed from my husband's credit where my brother-in-law was listed as my husband's wife with my SS number, I finally gave up - took buying a house to fix it). I've financed 4 houses. I haven't had a loan since 2004. I dumped the last of my rarely used credit cards a few years ago and have relied solely on cash and debit card. I do have a bank. It's only online. I have a mailfowarding service in FL that provides an address that makes both my bank and the government happy.

I ain't got much but what's mine is mine and not co-owned with a bank who would take it away in a heart beat.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
caysea7254 wrote:
Well look around we know plenty of honest people. We're just honest it's that simply. We r far from perfect but we don't lie. Don't mean to start any arguments.
Tara

This uplifts my well being even further to know there is at least one person on the planet who has never told even a little white lie. Congratulations to you are in order as you are a true saint.

There is no way to know if someone else has ever told a lie. That is complete BS to say otherwise.

Cheers from the Silver state.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Well look around we know plenty of honest people. We're just honest it's that simply. We r far from perfect but we don't lie. Don't mean to start any arguments.
Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lucky me that for a great many years I have used a UPS PMB address for all my important mail including 4 major banks, insurance companies, etc., etc. with no problems or questions. BOA did update my info a few years ago requiring me show a DMV DL. I also have an outstanding bank loan on a Dodge Ram 1500 that uses my UPS address and not a physical address.

One time I used a friends address to renew my Texas DL for a few years and I indeed sleep very well at nights. A totally honest person is like perfection and that is BS.

A chuckle a day keeps the devil at bay. Cheers

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
A diesel engine may last 300k-400k. However the rest of the truck will show the wear and tear of 300-400K.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Sold the house back in 2007...got debt free first and never had a desire to go back in bondedge.

Without interest payments, it's much easier to build wealth.

Of course buying a new truck is a choice. We typically shoot for around 10yr old. A fraction of the price and years of reliable life left. $10k is a lot easier than $70k.

Please let me know where I can buy 2013 3/4-ton trucks that aren't eaten up with miles for 10K each. I see a lucrative business emerging here! :C

If you are expecting a 10yr old truck with 20k miles that's been barn stored with a cover the entire time, yeah, not happening but long gone are the days when a truck was dead-man-walking at 100k miles.

We are in a 2008 that we bought for $10k about 6yrs ago (the window sticker that was in the glove box, said it was $60k new). Just getting back from a trip to Alaska. We've put a little less than 100k miles on it.

Go ahead and double it for recent inflation (which has really started to settle down anyway) and it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new.

Typically most 10-year-old trucks will have a bare minimum of 150K on the odometer (most with substantially more). I just don't want to start there. No, I don't expect 20K either, but there is indeed a happy medium somewhere along the way for everyone.

It sounds like you're way too concerned with "miles." A diesel pickup is made to last 3-400,000 miles. 150k is nothing.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Mountaintraveler
It's really simple to us. We just never lie about anything. People can adapt to anything without lie.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

mountaintravele
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
They said we could give a address of a relative and that would be our residence but we just couldn't. Nothing good comes out of a lie and we are stuck out here in Oregon. It made us completely sick when they told us the part to fix our truck has been back ordered for months.

"Adapt or die", thats the law of life, thats how it works. What you smugly call a lie is a mere formality, what bank wanted from you. If you want to full time you will need to learn how to adapt to the conditions, quickly. Thats the nature of traveling lifestyle

mountaintravele
Explorer
Explorer
I had lived without real address for decades, not a problem, use family member's address or just some old address for residential and set mailing address to rented mailbox, which scans my mail, all mail goes to mailbox.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
After 9/11 ALL MAJOR bank transactions need a physical address to make sure the FBI can find you if you fund a teariest bome.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos