cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just a pic of interest

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

While riding my motorcycle, noticed this rig. I stopped grabbed a pic, but no details. Interesting WDH hitch system, but didn't seem enough return to front wheels. Truck is GM 3500 DRW

Jerry
14 REPLIES 14

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Some times in the mid/late '00 era GM derated their 3500 drw trucks rawr down to softer rear suspension at 8200 lb range while Dodge/Fords were going into the low 9000-9375 rawr range. Maybe the drw in the pic is one of them.

GM later admitted they made a mistake going soft suspension thinking they could sell more drw trucks to rv folks. Wall street crash in '08 bit GM hard in this size truck sales.

I think in the 2010 ?? era GM fixed that with a higher rawr numbers in the 9250 range.

Now their leading pack with 10500 lb rawr.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
On looking some more, I think he simply put a very long shank in his existing hitch and some type of Rube Goldberg arrangement for a hitch head. It also looks like it is bending that existing hitch down a lot and would be a very dangerous tow. He probably thought "I'm perfectly alright cause I have a heavy duty truck with big hips and it can carry or tow anything I want". :E :R
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
covered wagon wrote:
I think he's got the hitch bolted to the campers overhang otherwise why would the camper be crushing down in the back and raising up at the cabover nose?

Not a chanceโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks to me like it could be a Pullrite TT hitch if it is not a homebuilt one. Those hitches attached to the rear axle of the tow vehicle and also to the rear of the frame. It looks like his came loose at the rear though if it is a Pullrite. They were a hitch that towed about as well as the Hensley does and cost about the same. As far as I know, they are no longer made.
Barney

Photos downloaded from the internet.

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Here is a zoom to better show hitch setup. Chains are not dragging on the level, and hitch is not fastened to camper. I'm not familiar with this type extended hitch, but appears to be attached near axle, maybe to frame??

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I think he's got the hitch bolted to the campers overhang otherwise why would the camper be crushing down in the back and raising up at the cabover nose?

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Chains draggin
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
WDH are not made for that length of extended hitch.

People familiar with the Pullrite travel trailer hitch may recall they offered an extended drawbar for use with truck campers. I only saw the picture on the website, but recall it to be around 48".

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, dangerous!

WDH are not made for that length of extended hitch.

Also, the WDH is not set up to return the front wheel well height needed nor leveling the TT.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thisโ€™ll get the rvnet ninnies stirred up Jerry!
You should a posed the thread,โ€Looking for help with my setup.โ€ Then we could really see the rvnet buzzing ! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:
Driveways must be a frequent problem.

Absolutely...very little clearance, hitch to ground! RR tracks, bridges, etc, all could add excitement to the tow.

I would have gotten a better pic/closeup of the hitching, but this is a shoot first/ask later section of the city, not area I live in. If you zoom, may be a bit more detail.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Driveways must be a frequent problem.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure how well a WDH would work on an extended hitch.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I don't even know it's back there". And at some point, it might not be. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"