cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is your travel trailer cozy and homey??

bmet2000_sDW
Explorer
Explorer
My parents just recently purchased a 31ft jayco whitehawk TT. We just got to see it for the first time this past weekend and I couldn't believe how cozy and homey they have made it! I told her we had already seen many trailers like theirs at rv shows, so I already knew what it looked like. Well was I ever wrong! I have never seen such a cozy, warm, inviting and homey travel home!!! I was ready to move in!!

She had pictures on the walls, artificial plants on the counters, a hall runner on the floor, a cute foot stool, and lots of lights about all the windows and lamps. It looked like a home on wheels instead of just a camper. She has inspired me to make our camper more homey!!

My husband complains because everything in our camper is brown; the walls, the floor, the cabinets, the counters, and the fabric on the sofa. I threw a few red pillows on the sofa and it really brightened things up already!

My question to all of you is; is your travel trailer a home on wheels or just a camper? Have you made your camper homey and cozy and if so, what have you done to make it a home?

We don't live in our travel trailer, just use it on weekends, long weekends and for a week long vacation once a year, but I would still love to make our camper more homey! I would love to hear about what you all have done to make your camper a home on wheels.
32 REPLIES 32

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Our house is a real mish-mash with three generations and two large elderly canines...so the camper was my hope for putting my personal stamp in decorating on. HA! DH's contribution to the homey feel (as in being like our rancher) are containers of cd's and dvd's on the dinette seats and the cabover bed. We have a skeleton (picked up for Halloween) in overalls and bandana that plays Dixie on his banjo sitting at the dinette; he adds atmosphere!

The camper's interior is all browns, neutrals...if nothing else this makes a nice unobtrusive background. We did pick up some hot mitts and bag clips to hang on the kitchen fan. But now I want...no need...more colorful bath and kitchen linens than the neutrals we have now. The neutrals will work for fall, but Christmas is coming...and I want us ready for next spring and summer with some blues and greens:)

And then there's our outdoor living area under the awning. We have lights, tablecloths, some seasonal decorations...but we're just getting started!

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a homey look, but super comfortable. I am minimalist type as with my real house, no need for any clutter at all in rv, it would drive me crazy ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, thanks! Haha! Didn't realize there was an was an auto-edit on overdrive.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
d****s are D R A P E S... you know special curtains... it appears the forums filter program has gone crazy and filtering out words it thinks are bad. I thought it was being fixed, but maybe not yet.

Moderator: please be sure this gets reported to the programers that need to know.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
mc4042 wrote:
The inside of our motorhome is mostly brown and tans so I added color by changing out the d****s and curtains,....

It's 4 AM, and my mind is spinning. What the heck are "d****s" ??? :@.
Would you give us a word that rhymes with it?

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Most things get put up when going down the road but I have hung a few things on the wall, for example a decorative clock (The wife likes the looks, I like knowing the time, internal temp and humidity). I used a screw, like you would at home to hang it, but then I added velcro to the wall and back of the clock. Keeps it from moving or falling. Rides nice, without any worries. Have a cross done the same way in the living area. Been looking for something to put above the toilet.

Any Dr Suess fans?

mc4042
Explorer
Explorer
The inside of our motorhome is mostly brown and tans so I added color by changing out the d****s and curtains, using a colorful quilt on the bed, and using colorful throw pillows. We have a picture frame on the wall with a collage of photos from our travels and another one with a collage of photos of our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. We have picked up a few tiny special things along the way and have them on a shelf under the TV. On the 'frig are little handmade pictures from grandkids. It's our "second home" so we try to make it feel comfortable and inviting... and cozy.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
As in our home, we like the uncluttered look. Other than changing out the bed covers, we haven't felt the need to do anything special. Once we and the cats are inside, it's home.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

ams1130
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I feel different than the op; I don't really feel the need to make our tt cozy or homey. It's not our home; we're weekend/four day warriors and I'm happy to feel like we're camping (without the tent or air mattresses) ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ford F150
2014 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a colorful comforter for the bed and a skirt for under the mattress. I also have a braided rug on the floor and a table lamp.. I have the perfect spot for a nice picture, but haven't found the 'right one'. I really don't care for the wall paper or whatever it is on that particular wall either. I keep teasing my husband that I want to re-wallpaper that one wall, but really I'm not joking! It's only a couple feet wide. Our license plate reads SMRHSE because we do consider it our cottage; now that we have retired, it's our summerhouse and our winter house for a few months!
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our B is cozy, not sure about homey. Pull in, pop the top, open the sofa, make the bed and on 3 roll to your left. But seriously it is cozy enough to be quaint, but roomy enough to afford us the space we need. Unlike most RVers, we spend most of our time outside rather than setting up the satellite and sitting in a recliner. Our inside time is to sleep and/or to seek shelter during a storm rather than just sit inside and look at wall pictures, TV's, etc.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
We've done some things to our camper - fabric chosen to coordinate with valances etc. made into cushions and throw over back of chair. We've swapped out the bulky recliners with a parrot cage and Ikea arm chair. We added a coffee table. I've put some pictures on the walls, including a painting from one of our favorite places. Carpet, bedspread, towels, led candles, etc. were added as well. I guess I'm a bit of a nut, but they don't take anytime to stow, nor do they look like clutter.

Hummm... time to update the camper page on my blog! http://www.pursuitofidlepleasures.blogspot.ca/p/our-new-camper.html
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
We never decorated ours until this last trip. These are tacky as all get out, but kinda called to us. ๐Ÿ˜„

cheteckie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting this thread!

I just realized I have a digital picture frame at home. I've decided it would be fun to have in the RV, and I can load photos from our adventures onto it.
2013 Allegro Bus
2013 Subaru WRX