cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Invention needed

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Last week we had a couple of nights in the 20's and our electric heated water hose froze at the faucet. Some one needs to invent a waterproof mitten to protect the water faucet including the handle as one night the faucet handle could not be shut off because it was frozen open.....I got it thawed out and wrapped it with a towel covered with a velcro strap. I do not normally camp in the coldest months of the year but we had to attend a funeral. I am sure some one has a solution for the faucets freezing.....
27 REPLIES 27

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A big shipping box (Corrugated paper) and a 100 watt caged lamp (Incascedant drop cord type use a rough service lamp in the drop cord)

Put the box over the hydrant. and the lamp inside but make sure it does not touch anything that can burn. Set it in a metal pie plate or some such
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
They have already invented it. Its at 84 lumber. Go in and tell them you need a heated garage

Kinda hard to move that from campground to campground........I have one at home.....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"and our electric heated water hose froze at the faucet"

Heck, I don't leave the water hose connected period. Use it only to fill the fresh tank...avoids lots of potential issues.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
They have already invented it. Its at 84 lumber. Go in and tell them you need a heated garage
Dennis Hoppert

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Bob Vaughn wrote:
Some one needs to invent a waterproof mitten to protect the water faucet including the handle as one night the faucet handle could not be shut off because it was frozen open

Someone has invented it, and it is called a heat tape. They come in many different lengths- merely wrap it around the pipe to be protected and plug it in. Complete with a thermostat, it only turns on when temperatures approach freezing to prevent the water in the pipe from freezing.

Wrong response.......I had my heated hose hooked up and on but the faucet was very close to the ground and the handle was exposed to the cold air and it froze.....Once it thawed and I wrapped it with a towel every thing was ok except the towel was sopping wet....

I am sorry, but apparently you don't understand or I didn't make myself clear. The handle and possibly the pipe the handle is attached to froze because your heated water hose did not protect anything except that hose. There was no heat generated at the spigot or beyond into the ground, just the hose itself. Therefore, the water in the hose remained unfrozen, but the supply to the hose froze. A heat tape wrapped around that pipe and the spigot and handle would have prevented it from freezing just as your heated hose kept water in the hose only from freezing.

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We camp in the winter all the time. Wrap the faucet in heat tape and cover with a survival blanket and wrap it up with a bungee cord. We also use a heated hose.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Campgrounds open in the winter often use frost proof valves. The actual valve sits a couple feet below the surface and only the activator is above ground.

Frost proof faucets work well, but only if you shut them off and unhook the hose so the water can drain back down below the frost line. Freezing temps are uncommon enough in northern Florida that you're not likely to find many campgrounds willing to make the investment in them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
How about one of these from Home Depot or Lowes?

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot and others carry those foam faucet covers that could be modified to allow a hose to exit. Should help to localize and concentrate the heat provided by the hose. Sort of like your towel idea only a bit more elegant.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Freezing temperatures can reach several feet underground so everything from down there to the inside of your RV needs to be heated. I stayed in a campground that had the best solution, the owner locked the hydrant handle and you had to ask to have it unlocked to fill your tank. If you leave the hose attached after filling you were asked to leave.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
The easiest solution is the one you already have. There are wheels under that rig, move farther south.

I would not have been there had I not been there to attend my friend of 50+ years funeral....worse yet it was in NW Florida......

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest solution is the one you already have. There are wheels under that rig, move farther south.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
People may like to stay connected for increased volume over the RV pump. I put it in my tank and use the rv pump because it's then going through two filters.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just drink beer and forget the water! :B