cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting vehicle

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure some of you have seen something similar before. But this is my first time and I suppose it's a good overland type vehicle that doesn't break the bank.

2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD
22 REPLIES 22

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect that this is like the sailor in the boating world. He has a sailboat but hardly ever actually sails it. More often than not he is motoring from place to place.

Same with these expedition RVs. They seldom truly get off the beaten path. They spend most of their time at a FHU CG.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The vehicle falls into the 'Expedition' class of RVs.

It is a small market, with very specialized requirements. The original vehicle and the links I posted are ways people were trying to enter that category of RV, but at less than mid-six figure cost. Though I'm not sure they made it.

Earthroamer

GXV
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Unless they modified the suspension, that thing will shake that TT to death, not to mention the people in the Cab! I like the idea though.

Have you ever been in a trailer on a rough road...they shake a lot anyway.

No, I haven't. (my Class A is bad enough) Why? In every state I've traveled, IMO, it's illegal/unsafe for humans to ride in a trailer. . . in motion, on the highway. Regardless, . . . IMO, it's not a bad idea, but, in this case, it's an economical prototype, not a successful production model. If it works for you, . . . hey, . . . why not? IMO, it has all the benefits of a travel trailer, but, FEW of the benefits of a Class A-B-C motor home. (no connection between the cab, chassis, and, the coach)

Chum lee

Never suggested it was a good idea to ride in a trailer. It is actually legal in some states with certain requirements but that's not the point of this thread so I suggest starting a different one if you want to discuss the issue.

I don't think anyone was suggesting it was a production model or comparable to a Class A-B-C...that's not the point. Look up Overlanders, totally different expectations and this fits in with that pretty darn well but without some of the crazy prices.

Please stop telling me what the point "isn't" in this thread, as if I don't know what it. . . . "is." (clearly, you think you do and I don't) Previously, I have agreed that the OP's referenced design is a good/economical idea as long as it meets the potential user needs. (I have no idea what they are) The vehicle referenced does not fit most accepted standard production norms. (Class A, B, C, TT, camper, popup, 5th Wheel, etc.) My suggestion to the OP is that they, "consider that" prior to their purchase, rather than to divert the thread.

Nice try. You need not reply.

Chum lee

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Super Singles?

I donโ€™t know of anyone who makes 19.5โ€ wheels or tires to convert it to singles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bggPuHovtTY

I might be using incorrect terminology and I'm not sure the cost...but these guys did it.

Those are heavy military type 19.5โ€ tires that can be used in place of duals.

These are super singles and a pair of duals beside them for comparison;

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Chum lee wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Unless they modified the suspension, that thing will shake that TT to death, not to mention the people in the Cab! I like the idea though.

No, I haven't. (my Class A is bad enough) Why? In every state I've traveled, IMO, it's illegal/unsafe for humans to ride in a trailer. . . in motion, on the highway. Regardless, . . . IMO, it's not a bad idea, but, in this case, it's an economical prototype, not a successful production model. If it works for you, . . . hey, . . . why not? IMO, it has all the benefits of a travel trailer, but, FEW of the benefits of a Class A-B-C motor home. (no connection between the cab, chassis, and, the coach)

Chum lee

Never suggested it was a good idea to ride in a trailer. It is actually legal in some states with certain requirements but that's not the point of this thread so I suggest starting a different one if you want to discuss the issue.

I don't think anyone was suggesting it was a production model or comparable to a Class A-B-C...that's not the point. Look up Overlanders, totally different expectations and this fits in with that pretty darn well but without some of the crazy prices.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JaxDad wrote:
Super Singles?

I donโ€™t know of anyone who makes 19.5โ€ wheels or tires to convert it to singles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bggPuHovtTY

I might be using incorrect terminology and I'm not sure the cost...but these guys did it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Chum lee

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Is that a dually? Not the best option for rough and rocky roads off pavement let alone going overland.

Some people switch over to super singles to address this issue.

But really overland doesn't usually mean rock crawling. Vast majority of travel is still via roads but the extra ground clearance still provides a huge benefit.

Super Singles?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
Is that a dually? Not the best option for rough and rocky roads off pavement let alone going overland.

Some people switch over to super singles to address this issue.

But really overland doesn't usually mean rock crawling. Vast majority of travel is still via roads but the extra ground clearance still provides a huge benefit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
those trucks can be had pretty cheap used. $10k or less. 4 cyc diesel and will be a work horse. I almost bought a box truck like this but ended up with a cube van... I still have regrets..

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
dodge guy wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Veebyes wrote:
Creative. I would think that such a setup using a similar class truck is very common in Australia & Europe where the humans are much smaller & there is no need for the 40 & 45' tag axle monsters which are so common running around N America.

It's not about need...it's about fitting in Europe. Over about 25ft, camp sites become very limited.

The universality of the chassis is the big advantage. You can ship it across an ocean and take off...if you need work done on it, the local mechanics are familiar with it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'