cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing brake help

motorboatinking
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996 Jayco Eagle 8 Pop up that I tow with me 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5L. My car tows the camper fine, I would just feel safer if the trailer had brakes, especially where I like to go in Alaska, there are some major hills.

I know that I will need to install a brake controller in my TV, but I do not know what brakes to get for the trailer. I have tried looking online and have not had much luck. My tire size is 20.5x8.0-10. If someone could help me find out what I need that would be great. I'll include some pictures. Thanks.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

11 REPLIES 11

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
These might help you. To go to humphreys you have to copy it to your browser and then take the space out between humphreys and hitch. Rv.net is censoring it.:D

click

click

http://www.humphreys hichandtrailerparts.com/dexter-7-inch-electric-brake.htm
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

motorboatinking
Explorer
Explorer
The reviews I read online Didn't seem too bad. Even if I need to change them a little more than normal, I would feel a lot safer towing it. I'm going to buy the 7x1-1/4inch brake and the correct drum to go with it. I will start looking for a brake controller, but those aren't really vehicle specific.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to install 7" brakes. I have them on a snowmobile trailer with the same size tires. I have found the 7" brakes are nothing but trouble and have replaced them several times on two different trailers. I cannot recommend them.

motorboatinking
Explorer
Explorer
I won't be able to call Jayco or Etrailer until Monday. How do I know if I need 7" or 10" brakes? I haven't been able to find a positive answer. If I need 7" I think I found everything I need on Etrailer.com using 7x1-1/4 inch drum brake. It is not in a kit, but I individually added everything to my cart. I won't buy until I am sure though.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm quite sure there is a 7 inch electric drum brake kit available for you at either ETrailer or northern equipment. Should just need to determine what spindle you have
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If Jayco cant help call e-trailer.com. They have knowledgeable people and carry a wide variety of parts.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

motorboatinking
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I believe a surge brake was an option for the trailer you have.

Give Jayco a call and they may be able to help you find a supplier for a brake system.

Your axle appears to have the mounting plate for a brake backing plate.

I agree you need brakes when towing with an Outback or even any car. Cars have brakes barely adequate for the car.

I do not want to use surge brakes. I have not tried Jayco, I assumed since my camper was almost 20 years old they wouldn't want to deal with me. I can give them a try though.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
try these people TIE,down brakes , or you can find them on e bay ,just type in trailer brakes.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I believe a surge brake was an option for the trailer you have.

Give Jayco a call and they may be able to help you find a supplier for a brake system.

Your axle appears to have the mounting plate for a brake backing plate.

I agree you need brakes when towing with an Outback or even any car. Cars have brakes barely adequate for the car.

motorboatinking
Explorer
Explorer
I already live in AK. Changing the axle seems like more work than it is worth. Plus the the wheel well is just big enough for the tires I have now. I don't think I could install larger tires.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure youll find a brake assembly for that axle. Most with brakes have at least 13 inch wheels. If your going to tow to AK, you might consider heavier axle with 13 or 14 inch wheels.