cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I have a question on towing a smaller trailer

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a neighbor who has a 4 cylinder, 2015 Chevy Equinox and she asked me if she could tow a 2,250 pound pop up trailer.
She says her book tells her that she can tow 2,500 pounds.

I don't have a clue if she can or can't, but I told her I thought she would burn out her transmission

Can anyone say if she would be ok or if she would be making a mistake?

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Can, should, will, won't....all subjective.
Depends on duty cycle and many other factors.
Now I'm going to generalize a bit. You said "she" and "asked you". That tells me she has pretty much zero experience towing or mechanical aptitude. That combination of skills or lack thereof says she'd be better served starting out with more factor of safety or a more conservative setup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
The motor can pull it, it's the Tranny
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
She needs an F450 dually.

.....diesel

Or an egoboost.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ralph Cramden wrote:

.....diesel
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
tail wagging the dog. no dice

The Chevy Equinox eights about 3200. The trailer is only 2500.

Many think nothing about towing trailers that weight more than two times their pickup's.

Don't see the tail wagging the dog problem.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
tail wagging the dog. no dice
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
With that big of a trailer and small TV the trailer needs trailer brakes.

If the trailer does not have brakes I would recommend that the trailer not be towed with the Equinox.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Tiny tow vehicles work fine with weights within their listed capacity. Rolling resistance is relatively small. But check your owner's manual. Small, lightly powered vehicles are usually limited as to the frontal area (SF) of the trailer they are towing, that's why popups are usually OK.
Currently Between RVs

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It can tow that much safely but she probably won't like doing it. The rear end is going to sag with 300-350lbs on the bumper, and it's not the most powerful machine on the planet.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife's car is an Equinox with the 4 cylinder. It's a nice car but it doesn't have enough power that I'd want to tow a 2500 lbs trailer. And I live in the flat lands of IL. Maybe I'd do it if I was ONLY towing it to the local state park 6 miles away but no way would I try it for any distance.
Camped in every state

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Safe bet is always staying Under the max tow rating. We had a neighbor do just that with a mini van and they smoked their tranny. They were under their tow rating, but when you factor in some good grades and high summer heat, you can kiss it all good buy.
Brian

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
If her manual says it can tow a 2500 lb trailer I think she is fine towing a 2500 lb trailer.

That doesn't answer the question I asked

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't recommend going over the weight rating but also depends where she will be towing.

Flat lands in normal conditions, she might get away with it.

Mountains and it is far more likely to have a failure.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV