cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to keep gray water from coming up into tub?

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you do to keep gray water from coming up into the bathtub when you have to drive to the next dump station?

I tried buying a tapered rubber plug, but it's designed to keep water from going down the drain, not water coming up. With the shape of the taper, it just gets pushed up and out of the drain.

Have any of you come up with a good solution to keep water from coming up into the tub when you're driving on a curvy road?
52 REPLIES 52

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
LMHS wrote:
A simple suggestion: Call a "honey wagon" aka septic tank pumper. The campground probably has the number for one that does it. There may even be one that performs the service once a week. Apparently the OP hasn't bothered to ask the campground management.

I called a local company that does that and they wanted $200+ to come to my house and empty my trailer!

TCBear
Explorer
Explorer
OP was referring to a "rustic campground 45 miles down a curvy road with switchbacks." Could even be boondocking in a dispersed campsite with near-zero services available. I routinely camp 50 miles from the nearest anything, the more remote, the better.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LMHS wrote:
A simple suggestion: Call a "honey wagon" aka septic tank pumper. The campground probably has the number for one that does it. There may even be one that performs the service once a week. Apparently the OP hasn't bothered to ask the campground management.

I think the OP was asking more in the general sense. But yes great suggestion.
The few campgrounds/RV parks with water hookups and no sewer Iโ€™ve been to, generally have a honey wagon service already qued up. You just get on his list if you want dumped.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
C'mon Mr. Mixed Metaphor, it's Cops & Robbers or Cowboys & Indians. Pick one or the other. :B

Hahahaha, cheers Dave. Just tryin to keep the mood lively here!

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II

dedmiston
C'mon Mr. Mixed Metaphor, it's Cops & Robbers or Cowboys & Indians. Pick one or the other. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobbo wrote:
One of the things that we do to conserve grey tank capacity is use Dawn Powerwash to wash our dishes as it requires no water, then rinse them off with the outside shower. That puts zero water in the grey tank while doing dishes.

What comes out of your outdoor shower if not water? And how do you collect and dispose of the (not?) water that you spray the dishes with? Surely you collect it and put it in your gray tank or somewhere โ€œlegalโ€โ€ฆ..lol
And hey donโ€™t nobody go gettin arrested by the Gray Water Police just because ole GRit said itโ€™s ok. lol. Although it a better discussion here now that itโ€™s gray water cops vs dumping Indiansโ€ฆ.lol.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wildtoad wrote:
How long is the dump tube? Could put a new dump valve on the end of the tube, then open the gray tank valve which would fill the dump tube. This should perhaps remove enough gray water to avoid back filling into the shower. Otherwise buy a gray tote small enough to easily handle till you get to a dump station.

Huh? Are you suggesting transporting water in a sealed up stinky slinky?
What am I missing?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
ScottG wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
ScottG wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Dumping Grey water is legal (and sometimes encouraged) in many States and localities.

X2. My State of Washington is one of them.
The description of the dumping greywater described in this thread would NOT meet the requirements of the law for the reuse of greywater in the state of Washington. Clicky

LOL, You're taking one small document and making it fit. The law is broader than that and as I wrote before, the people who work on the legal aspects of this stuff have a differing opinion and that knowledge used for legal considerations.
BTW, you need to read the doc you linked to, ie: Item 4, "Greywater" means domestic type flows from bathtubs, showers, bathroom sinks, washing machines, dishwashers, and kitchen or utility sinks. Greywater does not include flow from a toilet or urinal.
My bad; please provide me the link to the โ€œBroader Lawโ€ that you say applies to allowing the dumping of greywater as described in this thread.
PS - I never said greywater included toilets or urinals; so maybe you need to read my post that you quoted.

The laws surrounding EIS's fill volumes and is its own industry - of which I am not an expert in. My DW worked in it for a number of years and I picked up just enough to be dangerous after it came up in a discussion.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
ScottG wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Dumping Grey water is legal (and sometimes encouraged) in many States and localities.

The description of the dumping greywater described in this thread would NOT meet the requirements of the law for the reuse of greywater in the state of Washington. Clicky

LOL, You're taking one small document and making it fit. The law is broader than that and as I wrote before, the people who work on the legal aspects of this stuff have a differing opinion and that knowledge used for legal considerations.
BTW, you need to read the doc you linked to, ie: Item 4, "Greywater" means domestic type flows from bathtubs, showers, bathroom sinks, washing machines, dishwashers, and kitchen or utility sinks. Greywater does not include flow from a toilet or urinal.
My bad; please provide me the link to the โ€œBroader Lawโ€ that you say allows the dumping of greywater as described in this thread.
PS - I never said greywater included toilets or urinals; so maybe you need to read my post that you quoted.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:

TCBear
Explorer
Explorer
A tent camper dumps graywater on the ground measured in cups or a pints at a time. An RV can dump 50, 100, or 150 gallons at once. So big difference as to quantity. Figuratively viewing it in terms of "X number of 55 gal oil drums" puts it in perspective, as does realizing the graywater contents of just one such drum would weigh 460 lbs.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
What the heck do all the tent cameras do when they wash their utensils, plates, canteens, whatever,???WHat about when they clean themselves?? They let the grey water flow down hill.... Its only GREY WATER after all, NO sewage.... DO I drain it on the ground, I've done that once or twice but MOST of my camping here on the East Coast is in RV Parks with full hook ups or dump stations...

What Iโ€™ve seen going down the sink on some RVโ€™s , no way Iโ€™d dump that **** .

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cummins2014 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Well, I was gonna suggest, if youโ€™re camped in an appropriate spot, dump the gray out. In the woods, in a ditch, in a field, etc. Not thru the neighbors campsite and their outdoor carpet.
If one can have a little common sense, it is easy to dispose of gray water responsibly and unnoticed. Just need enough garden hose to get it where you need it.
Heck we spend 1-2 weeks in the same popular (relatively crowded) private park every year. Iโ€™ve disposed of well over 500gallons of gray, unnoticed by anyone. How do I know? Because the next morning I canโ€™t tell, myself.
Sorry if that gets anyoneโ€™s feelers all wadded up. But if one has enough IQ to function normally, one also has the ability to lose some gray water without making a mess, harming anything or upsetting anyone.
If not, then drive to the dump station I suppose.

Yup , key word responsible . Thatโ€™s why itโ€™s illegal for you , and anyone else to dump ANY RV holding tanks on the ground . Thank goodness thereโ€™s only a few like you that do . I also suspect thereโ€™s more than just the gray tanks emptied.

Little curious about your black tank , care to say how you handle that on a two week stay .

Haha, itโ€™s ok. And not really the mortal sin that some make it out to bee. Of course, key word being โ€œresponsiblyโ€. Maybe itโ€™s not ok to give advice assuming those that may take it would do so responsibly? Guessing the irresponsible folks are already doing it and donโ€™t care anyways so no harm no foul there.
I deal with enough cya/liability stuff at work, to care to drag that into my personal life. I also deal with up to 9 million gallons of combined black and gray tank matter daily, at work. Literally not figurativelyโ€ฆlol.
Black tank on the long stay? Is that like cheating on taxes and I shouldnโ€™t tell, or?
Actually, in that case I pay the turd burglar to dump the tanks responsibly, mid stay, if necessary.
Btw, no one should ever divulge how they cheat on taxes. I donโ€™t cheat, but if I did, I sure wouldnโ€™t publicize itโ€ฆ. Hahahaha

Seriously though folks. Ifโ€™n yer not smart enuff to know when it may be a bad idea or bad place to empty some gray water, then you likely will learn when someone calls you out on it.
And I sure hope none of you guys go pee outside the camper at night or poop in the woods on a hikeโ€ฆ.the real atrocitiesโ€ฆ.lol.