cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

house drapes open or closed while away?

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this is the correct forum...
while we are away for the winter...
if we leave the drapes open and the timer lights are on in the evening then it is obvious we are away.
if we leave the drapes closed all day that looks odd too!
we live on a street full of houses.
so far it is a low crime area.
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
18 REPLIES 18

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Get a neighbor to keep their regular driver car in your driveway so there is a vehicle coming and going.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if a recording of people talking or a dog barking that comes on at random times would do any good? Along with the TV and lights on a timer that changes the time of the day they come on. As for the drapes I would say closed. If there open at night it would be too easy to see in at night and tell that no one is home. I've heard of electric drapes. If you added something like hose you could put them on a timer too. Open during the day and closed at night.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Choose the option you like - or flip a coin.

If your home is burglarized - switch to the other one...:R

In addition to the "lived in" devices......

For peace of mind - go with a security camera system that allows you to *remotely* (from anywhere) monitor/check the interior/exterior of your home.

Available everywhere - and prices are reasonable..:C

~

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread has me thinking. When we are home we should keep the house on the same schedule as when we are away.
For example keep the front drapes closed all the time, If you leave an outside light on when you are home leave it on when away. Leave the lights on a timer.
While not entirely the same the bad guys will have a harder time figuring out when you have left if most things stay the same.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I use the outdoor holiday timers. It turns on when the available light gets low and stays on for a predetermined time. (2-4-6-8 hrs) That way the lights come on when you would normally turn them on and go off later, but the time will fluctuate so then can't really tell it's a timer.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Leave the drapes closed and the TV on.

Drapes definitely closed. TV off.

They make a small electronic battery operated box that emits the same flickering type of light you see inside a home at night with the TV on!

Saw it on the news the other day. Didn't catch the name of the manufacture but it was real slick and inexpensive.
Here's one I found google sarch.
http://www.faketv.com/

The other item they showed was a simple timer plugged in and you plug a light into that and that detected motion and turned on the lamp and/or turned it on regularly by the timer.

Lots of real cheap items on the market now to make it look like there is activity in a empty house.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I just buy insurance. Life's too short to obsess about the house when I'm off enjoying myself.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours open a couple of inches. That is the look people get day or night when we are home.

Timers and webcams help too.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Get an inside motion activated camera system that emails you pictures when it detects any movement. Then you can leave the drapes in any position you want.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Closed...with them open they can tell if anyone is inside. If they are left open at night, that will look odd. Leave them closed and let them wonder. Having a timer that can work at different times is great. Leaving front porch light on all night is not a good idea either.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are a couple thoughts.

#1. A project site superintendent& DW I have worked with has a house cleaner come in once a week. She does light cleaning,gathers mail, and sends to them on the road. Noticeable activity at the house, she also checks for any issues.

#2 The TV on a timer, not on all day and night.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Drapes open or closed - it helps to have a timer with a random program.

These Intermatic Night Sentry® timers will do the job very nicely:

In wall:

Table top:

Disclaimer:
I was the Chief Test Equipment Engineer at Intermatic when we acquired the Night Sentry Division from Dynascan® in the early 1980s.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the drapes closed and the TV on.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy