cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are most toilets pretty much interchangeable

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thetford Aqua Magic Style II - the plastic pin that makes the flap in toilet open and close broke so it is either open or closed. Hubby is using a screwdriver to manually push the mechanism.

Is there a better pedal operated toilet that we can get....reviews on these are not great. We need one ASAP because we live in it...not even going to do the warranty. Could we pretty much replace with any rv toilet. I DO want a china bowl though as we had plastic on previous rv and didn't like that at all.
Donna
13 REPLIES 13

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
Yes any RV toilet will work. ...

Good Luck

Uh, be careful, mine wasn't so easy. Make sure you measure carefully to see if it fits. I changed out my original and put in a Dometic 310. We are very happy with it but I had to modify the back of the lid and carve a teeny bit into to the back wall to get it to fit. Works like a charm and the porcelain bowl is very nice. This will be a great improvement for you. Good Luck.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you have a door that swings over or close to the front of your toilet, pay special attention to the dimensions of the new one. Last time I replaced mine the new one only cleared by 1/4". That was a close one!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ my Dometic 320 was the same but my mounting bolts are 10 1/2 inches from the wall so the 320 was a perfect fit. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
in general almost identical. There are a few that are longer in the back than others and that can pose a clearance issue in tight quarters.

ours is now a dometic 320 and it was slightly longer in the back than the previous (310?) it fit but very little rear clearance compared to the original.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I put in a domestic 320 a few years ago and it’s been flawless.. Chair height, elongated china bowl and a good quality seat. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a Thetford Aqua-Magic Style Plus toilet in our first Class A in 2008 to replace a damaged toilet. In 2013 we moved the toilet to another new to us Class A that we still have and are still enjoying the Style Plus. The porcelain bowl is easy to clean and the residential seat is a bonus. The only repairs we've made in all that time is replacing a couple of ball seals and a spring.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went from the Thetford Aqua Magic Style II to a Dometic 320. Dropped right in and didn't have to change a thing.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
For RVs this mostly applies. I've never seen exceptions
Comments on house Toilets later.

There are 2 by 3 by 3 toilets for RV's plus one more

Two: Short or tall. Tall ones are designed to mount to the floor. Short's to a Riser there are very good reasons for this.

Where is the flush pedal (1: left 2: Center 3: Right)

and 1: Round 2: Short oval 3 Full size oval

The additional type is gravity dump or macerator type but clearly you can't swap those.

On the first: Must have same height

On the second. 1 and 3 might be a problem as the water vave is on the same side as the pedal.. 2 The water valve is in teh back and a length of flexible water line is all you need to fix it (how I did it)

and on 3: Depends on the size of .... Your seat.. I like the full size oval

Finally some need "Special" seats. Many take seats you can find at your local Plumbing supply place.. Lowes. Home Depot, Menards, Wal*Mart, Joe's hardware.

Mountings are usually universal and the water connection is as well

HOUSE comments: There is a measurement.. Toilet outlet to wall, that varies from Toilet to Toilet... So sometimes you need to measure that to be sure. Oh and I like TOTO toilets.. They fulsh better.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your handy pull the thing get a repair kit first. on a nice warm day rebuild it. not real hard .

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Thetford. Once while flushing it the pedal slipped off my foot and broke. I figured that parts would not be available and ordered a new one, then found parts locally. The new one came and it was a couple years before we found someone who needed it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The floor flange has to be rotated or modified on some models.
The toilets mounting bolt locations are different.
I changed our toilet out to a Thetford Bravura.
Another minor issue is the length of the freshwater feed. It may need to be extended.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Dometic 310 is what I have, and generally considered to be good quality by most. I like it, and no problems at all.

Jerry

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Yes any RV toilet will work. As for quality I can not help much, other than this may be one of those where the price mean a better toilet.

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly