cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

DSDKECK
Explorer
Explorer
This is something I was going to order for home and thought it would be good for the camper to. They are cheep can organizers made of cardboard instead of the more expensive plastic or metal ones. They hold multiple size cans even soda or juice cans. Will always have older items being used first.

The Can Organizer

http://www.thecanorganizer.com

DSDKECK
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! New to forum! Read it all this week and love it! I am a mom of five,we have camped a lot and out grew our tent. We bought 32'BH 2 months ago. It is in storage and have not got to use it yet. We're dying to go camping. I will be taking so much advice from you all this season. I have a few things I can add. This one, I will carry over in the RV but will have to modify. Like so many, I use the large clear tubs with lids to pack things. I pack a Setup Box(mostly for tent, rug ext.), Outdoor Kitchen and Fire box, Entertainment Box, Clothing Box, Health Box (first aid, lotions,sprays, toiletries ext.) I take it a few steps further by labeling the boxes permenently with title and detailed list of contents. I also afix a diagram or instruction on how that particular box should be packed. I know extreem. My husband thinks so to. It's not that I am picky but we have to pack tight and I like things to be as easy and enjoyable as possible. This way the kids and DH can help pack and I can do a quick overview. We don't forget things as often this way. Everybody has a large ziplock bag with one days complete outfit (Shirt, pants, undies, and socks)and their name on bag. When packing I give,those that are capable, the same amount of bags for the number of days we will be gone. They fill each with a complete outfit, I check then bags get thrown in the one clothing box. This way all clothes are in one place and we don't end up halfway trough our trip with piles of clean and dirty clothes mixed. They know to throw dirty clothes in hamper and grab new bag with name. I have a few more things I could add, and a lot of questions, but I'll save them for another post.

Cauzin_Chaos
Explorer
Explorer
kennethwooster wrote:
One of the best Rv gadgets I've ever purchased was air pillow to level the trailer with. Just place under axles that are low, and use a small air compressor, and in about 3-5 minutes you have a perfectly level trailer. It also really helps on soft ground because its foot path is big. I was shocked, as we stayed in the mountains for about 2.5 months and the bag stayed level all the time.

Ok, what is an air pillow? Where did you get it at??? This sounds like a terrific idea!! ๐Ÿ™‚
My treasures do not chink or glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I just use water for a good rinsing and never have any odor problems. Once in awhile I put a little pine oil for a good smell.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

horseylady
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped using chemicals years ago after discovering Happy Camper tank treatment in Quartzite (sp?) Arizona. It is "beneficial bugs" they call it minerals and micronutrients. We have used in in our large diesel pusher, a living quarters horse trailer, a fifth wheel, and now our Aspect. We have used it in high desert heat, high humidity, low humidity, freezing cold (winterized and using bottle water to flush) and never an odor. Not even in Florida. The only thing is, if you use chemicals, it will not work because the chemicals will kill whatever it is that makes it work. It might take several tanks full using the treatment, after using chemical treatment, to see the results. I use Dawn dish soap and often pour a dish pan full down toilet for added water and that seems fine. I would never use bleach. I also sometimes put a scoop, mixed with water, down a sink to keep the grey water from getting that smell that it gets when you can't dump often. I will say that my gauges are seldom accurate, but that includes the water and propane and that has nothing to do with holding tanks. I have found, as I'm sure most of you have, that using too little water in the black tank will cause the most odor and problems dumping, so if I'm unable to hook up to "sewer" I will often save a bucket of shower water and pour it down the toilet--makes the grey water tank last longer and helps the black tank. Oh, and we can use regular household toilet paper which may be why we don't get accurate tank readings. It may not dissolve as completely, as quickly. It's worth it to us.
Pam and Bob
Boon (Jack Russell), Jezzie (Australian Shepherd)
2017 Winnebago View 24V
RVing since 1973 but always learning

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this works I wonder if Redix, a septic enzymes, would work - it is much cheaper!

Each Digest-It bottle costs around $12 and lasts for many, many black tank cycles. Use about 6 capfuls for a 40 gallon black tank.

I wouldn't assume that "all enzymes are the same". So, IMHO, start by patiently trying at least 3 tanks using only Digest-It. The sensor became accurate on about the third usage cycle of the stuff and has been accurate ever since then - slight patience was required to get my confidence up.

I'm sure glad that I've put the problem to bed once and for all. Of course a side benefit is that there are no longer any tank odors due to everything being suspended in liquid form, with no longer any gunk left on the tank's walls to outgas (smell).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
We went from the walmart formaldehyde stuff to enzymes once and were told that your tank has to be 100%clean otherwise the formaldehyde neutralizes the enzymes. FWIW, that didn't help the odor problem. The only thing that ever made a difference was installing a tank washer. Now we run it after every dump and never have an odor. I am even considering going to the Geo method now that we are confident that we have defeated the odor problem. RE: Geo method- if you are going to do the ice because you have tried other things, it might be even more beneficial to add some washing soda and borax or other water softener with the ice.

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
One tip I've heard about (not posted here and I've never tried it, but want to know if it works).....I've read that if you have an issue with black water tank sensors to put a bag of ice down the toilet and drive around. The ice will clean the inside of the tank while you are driving and then melt.

I know, I know ... you've tried all of the black tank additives and "non of them work".

Well, finally, this one works for us like a champ. We've had accurate black tank level indicator lights since our first use of this starting over a year ago. Miracle of miracles - it actually works!:

http://uniquemm.com/rv-digestit.html

If this works I wonder if Redix, a septic enzymes, would work - it is much cheaper! I'll have to try when the TT is out of storage and back to use!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

FreightTrain
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question. I have a 5th wheel and was wondering if anybody makes a cover for the big skylight over the shower. Something like the Maxxis cover for the vents.

Also, a few tips I use.
1. Walmart makes a 4 in 1 water adapter that I use in place of a Y. About $14.00.
2. I always place my water pressure regulator at the CG water faucet to protect my water hose also.
3. I made a water faucet to use at CG fish cleaning stations. Mine is 3' tall PVC with an L on top and a short piece of PVC to a water faucet and a water hose connection on the other end. Clamp the 3' piece to a C clamp with hose clamps and adjust to desired height and clamp C clamp to board of fish cleaning station. Can also be used for washing dishes, etc.
4. For those of you with pets. I made a portable dog pen using PVC and 2" x 4" net wire. As I have a 5th wheel, I measured across truck bed to see how long the panels could be, then measured from 5th wheel hitch to front of bed if no toolbox, or to rear of bed if you have a toolbox, to see how tall to make them. I made 8 panels with a gate in one of them. 1" PVC schedule 40 is almost exact outside diameter as 1 3/8 chain link fence and the chain link parts will fit the 1" PVC. You can either use the stretcher bars and clamps or wrap the wire around the PVC frame. Using the stretcher bars makes the panels a little heavier. The pen can be sete up using 4, 6 or 8 panels and can be used in any shape, square, rectangle or L shape. I sometimes use the L shape to use shade of front of 5th wheel. We mainly use pen for potty purposes, not for extended stays outside.

If interested in further information, contact me.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
One tip I've heard about (not posted here and I've never tried it, but want to know if it works).....I've read that if you have an issue with black water tank sensors to put a bag of ice down the toilet and drive around. The ice will clean the inside of the tank while you are driving and then melt.

I know, I know ... you've tried all of the black tank additives and "non of them work".

Well, finally, this one works for us like a champ. We've had accurate black tank level indicator lights since our first use of this starting over a year ago. Miracle of miracles - it actually works!:

http://uniquemm.com/rv-digestit.html
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

sh4717
Explorer
Explorer
nagel wrote:
Wooohoooo....just finished reading all 204 pages (over several days). A lot of good information here.

Anybody ever try this? Does it work? Should you have a completely empty tank or semi-filled tank?

Snagel

It works great! Whenever we are leaving from the campground and I have extra ice, I keep it and put it in the black tank after dumping. That way it can slosh around on the way home.
Scott
2019 Northwood Nash 24M
2018 Ram Ecodiesel

pohlcat
Explorer
Explorer
toprudder wrote:
Mule Skinner wrote:
Also consider removing the tools you don,t use.

I've been lucky so far, I have not had much need for the tools that I do carry.

One thing I've used a LOT are the small LED flashlights. I bought a 6 pack at Lowes or Home Depot (don't remember which, it was an impulse buy) that I've gotten a lot of use out of. I keep them in various places (inside the storage compartments, cabinets, etc). My favorite is the head-band light which I can use with both hands free. I keep that hanging just inside the door to the camper.

I keep two wind up LED flashlight along with a battery flashlight. That way the kids can play with them ALL they want......
2003 37' Coachmen Cross Country Diesel
Blue Ox Tow Bar
TST TM-510RV

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We've done it, Snagel. You need to have some liquid in there, so the ice can get a good wave going to slosh about, but it doesn't need to be full.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Depends on how long your sensors have not been reading -- when the junk dries on the sensors, it takes some effort to get it off.

At least ice is the cheaper fix than some other methods.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

nagel
Explorer
Explorer
Wooohoooo....just finished reading all 204 pages (over several days). A lot of good information here.

Anybody ever try this? Does it work? Should you have a completely empty tank or semi-filled tank?

Snagel
Steven R. Nagel

Whidbeydavid
Explorer
Explorer
We have a small 24' motorhome and our nice but bulky recliner camp chairs from CW pose a storage problem for us. They don't fit in the outside storage compartments, and we don't really want to hang them on the ladder in the back to get all wet and dirty (I know, I know - there are bags or storage boxes we could get, but....) We realized that the upper over-cab bunk was mostly wasted space for us since SWMBO has a bum knee and isn't going to climb the ladder herself. So, I took out the front half of the mattress and put a plywood shelf across the bunk resting on the dividers on each side. A second strip of plywood in the middle placed vertically adds a bit more support, and now we have two spaces that fit our chairs perfectly! I put the second half of the mattress back on top of the plywood, so I can just pull that out and take a nap when I want to be out of the way, but still be able to climb in and out of the driver's eat directly to the living area without difficulty. (If someone can tell me how to attach a photo to this post, I'll be glad to add some pics)