cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Bumperoo!

Do you all know to use drier sheets to remove bugs and other junk from the front of your rig? Dampen first and they clean things right up without scratching the surface.

joanne0012
Explorer
Explorer
davepcpowernet wrote:
Well, Calgon is sodium hexametaphosphate used as a water softener and as an ingredient in some detergents. By itself not a detergent, though. It is even used in Lipton's "Brisk Tea". :-0

Perhaps the formula has changed, since Calgon advertises itself as containing no phosphates. The MSDS gives the active ingredents as Sodium carbonate, Trisodium citrate dihydrate, and Sodium sulfate.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=18001030
Joanne

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I find my little George Foreman grill a very useful and compact gadget. It will grill and fry better than a skillet and I even use mine for toast, works perfectly. Easy cleanup too.

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
dogdiva wrote:
I have tried the RUG PAD, the rolls of no-skid cabinet stuff, a roll of 3 inch wide double side sticky tape to no avail
WIth the slide out, i have a 6X9 area rug that has to be tugged back in place several times a day. Its good exercise, BUT sure gets old......

Have you tried velcro? The industrial adhesive velcro has some pretty large sizes-seems like you could stick several spaced out around your rug that would hold it in place. I've never had a problem removing the sticky adhesive when I've no longer needed the velcro on something, so it might help you cut down on muscle toning!
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

B_Traveler
Explorer
Explorer
dogdiva wrote:
On the bottom of the page, right under the Quick reply are the choices to subscribe to this thread
I clicked on the last one, Subscribe, send Email notification of new posts and this way you dont have to worry about finding this thread

Use the "Subscribe" that is above the reply box, rather than the one below. You don't actually have to reply, or bump, to subscribe. When you click on Subscribe, you will be given an option to get e-mails or not.
2007 Great West Van Classic

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried the RUG PAD, the rolls of no-skid cabinet stuff, a roll of 3 inch wide double side sticky tape to no avail
WIth the slide out, i have a 6X9 area rug that has to be tugged back in place several times a day. Its good exercise, BUT sure gets old......
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I created an opening in my screened roof vent. I wanted to mount my XM and GPS antennae on the roof so that they are temporary and they can be used elsewhere. Here's how.

I have a scrap of window/vent screen that I have mounted inside a 6" diameter metal embroidery hoop that will form a lid for the opening. Then I to cut a circular opening in the actual vent screen for a 5" diameter metal embroidery hoop. The hard part was bending the screen upwards inside the outer hoop and being able to fit the inner hoop inside the opening.

I have a 12" long section of galvanized 6" steel "C" stud adhered to the roof near the vent for the XM magnetic antenna. I can then move the lid to the side, reach through to opening to attach the antenna on the roof from the inside, and then move the lid over the opening.

do you have any pics of this?
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
dkingdoe wrote:
dogdiva wrote:
Now, if there were a good answer for "roving rugs" i would be a happy camper

I'm looking for a solution to the "roving rugs" also...anyone have a good suggestion??

Thanks for all who are posting your suggestions!! Keep'em comin'!! :B

For roving rugs, have you tried that anti-slip stuff you put in your shelves? We use that for our entry rug and it works pretty well.
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

busch2fan
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a solution to the "roving rug" problem...

I use a RUG PAD

They are available at Bed,Bath,& Beyond and other stores like that.
It is the same no-skid type material alot of people use in their cabinets to keep dishes/pots/etc from sliding around.

The rug still moves... but now only an inch or so... vs. sliding down the entire hall like it did before.

A VERY good purchase indeed....

Laughingfrog
Explorer
Explorer
WOW I didn't know that about bay leaves...and I think I read on here earlier about oregano...LOVE those spices and glad to hear the critters don't!! Also, the Vaseline trick...although I don't know if I'd like to have to wipe that goop off after every outing ๐Ÿ˜ž

We've used the Calgon, but still had sensor problems in our last unit even with our Saniflush system, what really helped us was the Flush King...when you have the time at the dump station or with full hook-ups it really was helpfull to give the tank a thorough flush from the "bottom up" as opposed to the "top down" as the Saniflush systems seem to do...with the flush king we could fill the tank and lift tissue that was stuck to the sensor and then the clear pipe allowed us to watch for cleaner water coming out of the tank, which indicated it was pretty well flushed out. Even with our new rig we attach the flush king just for the visual confirmation that the tank is clean.

I still use the Calgon in conjunction with all of the other.

As for keeping the bowl clean...Have never heard of using PAM in the bowl...and I think some else mentioned waxing the bowl...hmmmm....good ideas.

Oh, and for the rugs...on our hard flooring surfaces I have no problems since the rugs are rubber backed, but the few throws I have over carpeting (trying to preserve the original carpeting!) I use the rolled gripper fabric cut to the dimensions of the rug or I use "carpet tape" and I've had good luck with both techniques...just be careful when removing the carpet tape from the throw rug it can tear the backing up if not removed slowly and carefully.
Don & Yolanda White, David, Colby
& Smokey (Rescued Dachshund/Shepherd mix)
2008 Pilgrim Legends 37QB4S-5H
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat Crew Cab

Patrick45
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you remove it - it will also show up under MY FORUMS.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
On the bottom of the page, right under the Quick reply are the choices to subscribe to this thread
I clicked on the last one, Subscribe, send Email notification of new posts and this way you dont have to worry about finding this thread

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

dkingdoe
Explorer
Explorer
dogdiva wrote:

I'm looking for a solution to the "roving rugs" also...anyone have a good suggestion??

Thanks for all who are posting your suggestions!! Keep'em comin'!! :B
Stan & Doris ๐Ÿ™‚ (Retired 2012)
'13 Coachmen Pathfinder 404RB
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited/Toad

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Use a "ring" of vasoline around any wires or hoses that lead from the ground to the rig. Creepy crawlers, like ants and spiders do not like to crawl thru the greasy stuff;\

Bay leaves in the cupboards, storage bays and little hidden corners will keep bugs at :bay:

Hang wal mart bags out side for easy reach to clean up after the doggie

insullation for pipes already has a slit in it and easy to slip over the windshield wipers and dont have to be cut like the :noodles:

Love this thread,
OH i tried the Calgon in the black tank, and my sensor has never worked right and i NEVER put paper in the tank
Also, to keep "solids " from adhering to the bowl, keep a can of Pam cooking spray next to the bowl and occasional spray the sides. Dont need much......
reapply every few days as the water from flushing will remove it

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad this thread doesn't stay up at the top.

I just got done making some bungee cords to the exact length I needed with cord and hooks from TSC Store.