cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Largestal
Explorer
Explorer
just subscribing and saying thanks for charing all these great ideas.

my recent addition - A push button ignition torch for lighting fires, grills, charcoal, etc. No more worries about the wind blowing out the matches or lighters. A friend even has one of those micro-torches when you need to light a pilot flame.

Totendatrailer
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, done reading. Some great ideas. Here's a couple of ours.

When registering at a campground we notice they all wanted basically the same information. So Cheryl made up some labels with that info and printed them off. Now all she has to do is take the labels with her to register.

For the greasy fifth wheel pin, I simply put a can/bottle cozy on it. You know those foam things that are suppose to keep your favorite beverage cool. I store it in the extended pin housing. Haven't lost it yet.

For our grandson who had to go all the way up the steps to unlatch the screen door, then come back down to open the door, I bought a short 3' awning strap (was under $5) that just hangs on the handle by the looped end. Now he can open the door just like us grownups and he's pretty happy about that! ๐Ÿ™‚

For dry camping I purchased a Big Buddy Heater (the type that uses 2 propane bottles). I got it at Lowes for half price ($65)last spring when they were having a clearance on all heating items. It is only used while we are up and never whilst asleep. Does save on the batteries since we dry camp 90% of the time.

All I can think of at the moment.

Bill
Bill & Cheryl
Gypsy & Nu cat
2007.5 GMC 2500 D/A
2014 Primetime Crusader 325RES.

Laughingfrog
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it took me quite some time to read through all of these great ideas and so many of them are things we do in our fiver, but I've now got a running list of things I'll consider doing in our unit...not to mention about 12 additional browser windows open with websites referenced here that look like great resources for RV-friendly products. This is a great thread...and if I come up with anything interesting or new I'll post, but looks like I've got some internet surfing and shopping to do...:W
Don & Yolanda White, David, Colby
& Smokey (Rescued Dachshund/Shepherd mix)
2008 Pilgrim Legends 37QB4S-5H
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat Crew Cab

ak_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up my latest "handy product"...a 17' Little Giant Ladder!

Now all I gotta do is figure out where to carry it!
"There's no such thing as too much tow vehicle!"
Wes, Linda, & kids
Retired firefighter (30 years fighting the dragon!)
Our Website

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Cannot believe how long it took me to figure out that using a short velcro strip to keep the kitchen overhead cabinet doors from coming open when going over an uneven stretch of road or a dip going into or out of a gas station. Broke a lot of dishes before using the velcro strip to secure the two door handles. It is now a part of our check list when getting ready to hit the road. It is the little things that really make a difference.:B
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

davepcpowernet
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Calgon is sodium hexametaphosphate used as a water softener and as an ingredient in some detergents. By itself not a detergent, though. It is even used in Lipton's "Brisk Tea". :-0
Dave

whanner
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting....anyone know the science behind the calgon....I'm curious.:@
06' Ford F-350 Power Stroke 6.0L
07' Forest River Sierra 375 QBQ
Wife and 2 Kids

B-52G
Explorer
Explorer
Calgon in the black water take. Helps to keep the solids from sticking to the tank or sensors.

SkipPi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Pat,
I have never had it come loose.
Might be hard to see but,
both ends are secured with chains to the TT body,
(If I have to remove the PVC the end closest the "Y"
has a dog lease type connect The cap is secured with
two chains forming a "V")
The end connecting the slinky to the output "Y" is
hose clamped.
I see no way for it to come loose unless the cap came
unscrewed which, with the load on it, is hard to screw/unscrew.

Thanks for the question, hope this helps.

everymilesamemo
Explorer
Explorer
So you keep that on while you drive? That looks like it could come loose and fall off? Ever have any problems with it coming loose?

Pat
Every Miles A Memory

Photo's of our Travels
When we realize our insignificance in this world,
it some how relieves the pressures from society to succeed
- Cindy Bonish

SkipPi
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure most of us hate messin'with "Stinky Slinky"

I didn't like the disconnect and store part the most.

so a piece of 4" perforated drain pipe
adapter with threaded cap and ...
no mo SS disconnecting.
The pipe also houses the U shaped ramps that SS sits on
when in use.

Dshultz50
Explorer
Explorer
Zip lock bags -- reminded me! When tent camping, I discovered if I took zip lock bags, EVERYTHING could be put in them and then the food in the ice chest wouldn't get waterlogged -- including the butter! Those throw-away Glad containers are nice, too
I am so clever that sometimes I donโ€™t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Bump

I am sure you all use the Zip Lock bags instead of tupperware containers even for frozen items.

BirdSongPlace
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple of my favorite hints.

We travel in a Truck Camper. As you can imagine we are careful about filling our waste tanks as they are on the small size. If we are somewhere where showers are available we use them. I bring a beach type dress or some other sort of "shmata" with me. After showering I don the dress and return to the TC where I finish dressing after becoming fully dry. Any of you who use the showers know what a royal pain it is to try to dress when you are still damp. UGGG

My other hint is this: When we are out on the road I try to keep our clothing colors simple. DH wears shorts that are either navy or black with T-shirts that are white or grey. I try to stick to denim pants and white or black shirts. Believe me it simplifies laundry day.

2000 Ford F350
2004 Adventurer

pioneerclaims
Explorer
Explorer
For you FISHERMEN/FISHERWOMEN. That same 10" black pipe mounted under the frame for your sewer hose can be duplicated for a great place to store rod/reel combos, beach umbrellas, outdoor rugs (rolled), fireplace pokers, citronella candle torches, etc. It is out of the way under the frame and you can even install a cable-type bicycle lock on each capped end to keep folks out.
Steve Z and sometimes... Debbie, Jon, Chris, Aleyna
2015 Open Range 2015 ROAMER RF337RLS Fifth Wheel
2015 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 4-Door Diesel
Triumph 170CC Center Console Bay Boat in tow