cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Giving back... to the National Park

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Volunteering for the clean up after shutdown and when National Parks reopen.

Calling for like-minded RVers!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/01/why-national-parks-trashed-during-government-shutdown/
22 REPLIES 22

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
It looks like it's just going to get worst (trashy),..plus a lot more people will lose their jobs. I'm cutting back on spending, getting ready for whatever happens. I've already talked to friends in New Mexico about staying on their property in the summer.

Thanks!

I know I need not say nor remind ourselves on this as the RVers and campers are the most caring and thoughtful of the park visitors, it goes without saying to follow the rules and current restrictions on these parks. And go one step further in taking in the duty to advise other people not to abuse their privilege.

Park Rangers are the most knowledgeable people on environment protection and from time to time would rope some heavily trodden areas or do replant of decimated native species.

Some thoughtless visitors, not being racist but the most notorious as I observe are the Chinese tourists, who would cross those well demarcated trails and climb beyond the yellow markers. My first duty is to call their attention and tell them gently -- and if they don't, with louder and angrier voice next time.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I find it amazing how much people are inconsiderate pigs today. It's the 'me too' thing.
I'm sorry but I can't let this slide,
You obviously have no idea what Me Too is about. Please read THIS. Are women being sexually harassed in the NP now?

I assumed SCF was actually wanting to say "all about ME".

I heard on the news last night that Joshua Tree NP was going to put up the gate - people (idiots) are damaging the trees and offroading. I truly don't understand what is wrong with some people.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Yosemite Sam!. If we could we would join in this volunteer effort, and will in the spring if needed. For those who think we should not volunteer because we pay to enter, I disagree. Our Nat'l Parks are this country's greatest treasure and we must protect them.

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." John Muir

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like it's just going to get worst (trashy),..plus a lot more people will lose their jobs. I'm cutting back on spending, getting ready for whatever happens. I've already talked to friends in New Mexico about staying on their property in the summer.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
2112 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I find it amazing how much people are inconsiderate pigs today. It's the 'me too' thing.
You obviously have no idea what Me Too is about. Please read THIS. Are women being sexually harassed in the NP now?

Yeah, that comment made no sense.

It's funny how many people complained when Obama closed the National Parks during the shutdown in 2013 and are now praising Trump for keeping them open, but are also complaining about the lack of staff to clean up the mess.

What did you think would happen? Who is going to staff the parks during the shutdown? How are they going to get paid? Who is going to work without a paycheck?

People are pigs. Have you driven around any country roads lately? They are littered with trash, and it doesn't matter which state you are in.

Must be from ignorance. MeToo movement has inspired people globally even in countries where women were treated as property and thus no rights. Yup, even in Saudi Arabia.

Update, there are smaller national parks where volunteers are doing a good job.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
2112 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

It's funny how many people complained when Obama closed the National Parks during the shutdown in 2013 and are now praising Trump for keeping them open, but are also complaining about the lack of staff to clean up the mess.

What did you think would happen? Who is going to staff the parks during the shutdown? How are they going to get paid? Who is going to work without a paycheck?

People are pigs. Have you driven around any country roads lately? They are littered with trash, and it doesn't matter which state you are in.

It takes education from day one to teach kids respect for their environment
https://youtu.be/jv4oNvxCY5k
Try it here and parents would sue the school for child abuse no doubt

And the result is this,people take their garbage home as there are no trash bins anywhere
https://youtu.be/zn_iMgXNB_E

https://youtu.be/QuWp3gTrpV0

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
I have a friend who is a bird watcher and goes to Valley Forge National park often. She recently posted pictures on Facebook showing the park is very clean. I guess it depends where the National parks are located.
Probably mostly depends on the numbers of visitors rather than location. Of course warmer locations will get more visitors this time of year, and more visitors will mean more mess.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who is a bird watcher and goes to Valley Forge National park often. She recently posted pictures on Facebook showing the park is very clean. I guess it depends where the National parks are located.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
When CA closed parks, they locked the gates and everybody left, well everybody but the thieves. A lot of RVers volunteered to stay a parks and monitor their use while closed. CA legislature declined and one of our favorites Mitchell Caverns was trashed and stripped of valuable equipment. It happened to other parks too.

The State of CA and in my opinion, the Feds are using this to blackmail us the users, into taking sides. There are a lot of stated reasons why they don't let us help and the lamest is the Workman's Compensation Laws. Why can't they read the definition of volunteer. We want to do it for the future, we're offering to pay forward.

Blame our litigious society. Even volunteers are effectively on employee-employer-contractor implied agreement and thus need some kind of work and day to day safety supervisions.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
wrktfsh wrote:
I love our national parks but I do scratch my head over volunteering to clean up something the guv has decided we need to pay to enter and enjoy.
I know this will rub some the wrong way. But it is what it is

And that's why it's called volunteer. It is for the willing.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
When CA closed parks, they locked the gates and everybody left, well everybody but the thieves. A lot of RVers volunteered to stay a parks and monitor their use while closed. CA legislature declined and one of our favorites Mitchell Caverns was trashed and stripped of valuable equipment. It happened to other parks too.

The State of CA and in my opinion, the Feds are using this to blackmail us the users, into taking sides. There are a lot of stated reasons why they don't let us help and the lamest is the Workman's Compensation Laws. Why can't they read the definition of volunteer. We want to do it for the future, we're offering to pay forward.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
I love our national parks but I do scratch my head over volunteering to clean up something the guv has decided we need to pay to enter and enjoy.
I know this will rub some the wrong way. But it is what it is