cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas hook up for big red on Grand Design gas port

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2019 Grand Design 2500rl. It has a gas port on the side where the awning is, for hooking up a grill etc.

My question is: has anyone hooked up Big Red to this port or does someone know how it can be done?

I have heard about having to remove regulators on grills but don't know if that applies here. Also, I would need some kind of adapter since the big red normally hooks to a 20 lb lp tank.

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Lakeland_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, it's the same hose I use for my grill and fire pit. I have 3 hoses that I can use to move the grill or fire pit 36' from the RV. Gives a lot of flexibility w/o the extra weight.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
HERE is the one I ordered for my FR Wolf Pack QC and my Camp Chef Stove. Worked like a charge and gives me full BTU's on all three burners (Ranger Model).
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I would contact the folks at propanegear.com. They make low pressure hose adapters for many other pieces of equipment (I have one for my blackstone grill), perhaps they have something.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Not to criticize here, but I often shake my head at the effort some people go through when attempting to accomplish matters like this. Why do I shake my head? Because it reminds me of my own misery when I also do the same LOL. We carry a Camp Chef 2 burner system AND an extra propane tank. Been doing it this way for quite a while now. That extra propane tank sitting in a milk crate travels easily and doesn't take up too much room. Before that, we traveled with several of those small propane cylinders when we only used a smaller camp grill. To us, some things just don't need to be over-simplified.

I have no reasonably safe way to carry an extra propane tank. It would also be rather silly to do so since my trailer carries enough propane for years of use.
I can have all the fires and BBQ's I want during the camping season on the trailers tanks without worry of draining the tanks.

Draining of tanks is not my concern either (though we did fully drain one 30# tank on a recent trip). But when you rely on a trailer-connected propane connection, that means you either need to cook right next to the trailer or stretch a long hose across the campsite. We have a 2-burner outdoor stove on our outdoor kitchen, but when we burn the Camp Chef unit, it's outside of our camper/awning area. For that, you have to have an additional propane tank. And of course, we prefer real wood fires over fake propane fires ๐Ÿ˜‰

I don't really understand your comment about having no safe way to carry another tank. Put it in a milk crate and put in the bed of the truck or on the floor of the camper. It ain't going nowhere.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
CLick Here

Why not just use one of these and forget about the low pressure connection.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
WTP-GC wrote:
Not to criticize here, but I often shake my head at the effort some people go through when attempting to accomplish matters like this. Why do I shake my head? Because it reminds me of my own misery when I also do the same LOL. We carry a Camp Chef 2 burner system AND an extra propane tank. Been doing it this way for quite a while now. That extra propane tank sitting in a milk crate travels easily and doesn't take up too much room. Before that, we traveled with several of those small propane cylinders when we only used a smaller camp grill. To us, some things just don't need to be over-simplified.

I have no reasonably safe way to carry an extra propane tank. It would also be rather silly to do so since my trailer carries enough propane for years of use.
I can have all the fires and BBQ's I want during the camping season on the trailers tanks without worry of draining the tanks.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
All I can say is, "Good luck." That hook up does't play nice. I've been trying to get a Coleman camp stove hooked up to the same gas port. I was able to finally fabricate a line that had both end connections to match. I purchased the Coleman regulator separate and cut the regulator part off and used the connection to the stove. I then cut the rubber hose that had the connection for the trailer.

End result? didn't work. The pressure regulator on the camper didn't match the required pressure on the camp stove and the flame blew out at the slightest puff of wind. The camper produced pressure too low for the stove. So, I'm back to using the 1 pound propane bottles from WalMart...
My Coleman stove adapter works just fine off the propane connector. clicky

How does the hose connect to the Coleman Stove? I cut and spliced just the part that screws into the Coleman Stove and attached to a hose that had the quick connect, but the camper pressure was too low to run the Coleman Stove. My RV dealership told me if I ran directly off the propane tank and not through the camper regulator it would work.

And I agree. I had this set up (below) several years ago, and it did work just fine. Of course, this set up never went through the trailer. I carried the extra 20 pound tank. The pressure regulator that came with the stove, that has a unique thread and connections proprietary to Coleman worked fine.

Here's a photo of the quick disconnect on my current 5er. Unfortunately, I broke the valve right after we purchased the camper because it was installed in such a way, nothing would connect to it. In attempting to angle it better, it broke. I had a lot of "fun" getting the parts together to move it down and easier to access. I also ended up putting a double shut off on this. Reason? I got the plumbing from the trailer and then couldn't get the match from the last pipe to the quick disconnect. I put the house style cut off valve on so I could continue using the trailer. I ended up buying a hose that hand the quick connect on it, and sacraficed a hose to get that last part that had the cut off with the quick disconnect. It works. Attaching anything with the quick disconnect works just fine, it's the other end that attaches to the Coleman end that was the problem. Then the difference in pressure required... it was easier just to go back to the 1 pound bottles for now.

One more note: This is from the link you provided:

THIS ADAPTER WILL ONLY WORK ON THE COLEMAN ROADTRIP LXE GRILL. IT WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER TYPE OF COLEMAN STOVE OR GRILL.

I had already looked into this, it doesn't fit anything except this one specific model, which is the one you have. Doesn't work on any others.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
All I can say is, "Good luck." That hook up does't play nice. I've been trying to get a Coleman camp stove hooked up to the same gas port. I was able to finally fabricate a line that had both end connections to match. I purchased the Coleman regulator separate and cut the regulator part off and used the connection to the stove. I then cut the rubber hose that had the connection for the trailer.

End result? didn't work. The pressure regulator on the camper didn't match the required pressure on the camp stove and the flame blew out at the slightest puff of wind. The camper produced pressure too low for the stove. So, I'm back to using the 1 pound propane bottles from WalMart...
My Coleman stove adapter works just fine off the propane connector. clicky

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The port is low pressure so you will need to remove the existing regulator on Big Red and install either a hose or a quick disconnect for one.
I've done this to all my stuff (fire pit, stove, BBQ) and it works great! Most regulators are simply screwed on with normal pipe threads - usually 1/8"NPT. I have 25' of gas hose with QD's (2X10', 1X5').
This QD is on my BBQ:

Being cheap, I simply bored and threaded the inside of this QD to fit the 1/8" NPT on my grill.

One caveat, there are two common quick disconnects out there for propane and they dont play with each other.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to Lakeland Bob for answering my question. I will follow your lead and try to figure it out.

To others, I apologize for not being clear with my question. Big Red in a gas fire pit not a grill, although from Lakeland Bob's comment it has a similar problem with hooking to the gas port. I use a grill with the small bottles and it works fine. Just wanted to eliminate hauling the extra cylinder for my fire pit if possible.

Lakeland_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
I have successfully adapted a grill and a firepit to run off our onboard Propane outlet.

You will not be able to attach your Big Red as it is currently configured. The hose that is attached to the pit has the control valve and regulator (in one unit) attached where it connects to the propane tank. This unit reduces the tanks's high pressure gas to low pressure for the pit's operation and also controls the volume of gas to the pit for a larger/smaller flame.

What you can do is remove the hose from the pit, attach a short jumper hose to it, install a control valve (since the pit does not have one built in),and then attach a long hose with the required quick connect on one end to the trailer.

I found this control valve

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Liquid-Propane-Needle-Female/dp/B01D6L8RF4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1544651193&sr=8-10&keywords=propane+gas+control+valve+and+hose

and also this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E62CU/?coliid=I2NP2ZJORWSII6&colid=2WNLJF7KRJK7B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

While on Amazon you can shop for the hoses you want.

FYI, I have 30' that I run between my grill and the RV, and the pit as well.

Keep the hose you remove for those times you want to hook up to a tank.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

End result? didn't work. The pressure regulator on the camper didn't match the required pressure on the camp stove and the flame blew out at the slightest puff of wind. The camper produced pressure too low for the stove. So, I'm back to using the 1 pound propane bottles from WalMart.

Meanwhile, about the only way to run off the propane tank on your camper is to put a T at the tank and before the regulator so the regulator that came with your grill will still work.

The regulator at your propane tank in your camper is a very low pressure. Chances are, even if you get the connection, the grill still won't work. And definitely, if you are using the regulator that came with the grill and the regulator with the camper, I promise you, it won't work.

I'm still frustrated, but using the 1 pound bottles until this Summer rolls around and I can mess with it again.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
You also need to know where the gas port is tapped off your RV system. If it is before the regulator, then you just need a different hose with the correct fitting. If it is tapped off after the RV regulator, then you need to remove the regulator from the grill. My gas port is after the regulator, so I have 2 hoses for my Weber Q. One with a regulator on the end to hook to 20# tanks, and one with no regulator that plugs int gas port. The regulator that was originally installed inside the grill has been removed.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select