cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAMELESS WINDOWS?

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
As far as I can tell there are three kinds of RV windows out there …

The traditional sliding window, my favorite. When open you get what, about 40% open to the air?

The Doemetic push out window, a window NOT for grizzly country or for any kind of leave the window open while you sleep security. Plus you roll all the bugs attached to the screen down into the window when you let the screen drop. Those will never be an option ffor me.

Then the frameless windows…now my question is since those windows only go out a few inches, how much airflow are those windows allowing into the camper? Seems a bit restrictive to me.

Youe thoughts….

Cheer,
Mr. E
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
15 REPLIES 15

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
We have frameless windows, and 3 of them are emergency exits that can swing wide open but the handles are short. I made props out of PVC so they can now open wide.
JK

I would be scared the wind would pick up and lift the window enough for that to fall out and then slam it down.

Steve

I used 3/4" PVC, which fits pretty snugly over the window handle, and on the other end, a 45 degree elbow that I ground a tab to fit into the window slot. If it's windy, I do the clothes pin trick to the slot to hold it tight to the wall. I don't think I would use it in extreme winds.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Frameless Window Mod

Disclaimer: This guy leaves out an important step and by now has most likely shattered a window. The plastic spacer needs to be cut shorter and reinstalled to limit opening to 7-8 inches, not totally removed and tossed as in the video. If it's totally removed as he does it will allow the window to swing open so far that the top edge of glass will bind against the aluminum extrusion. It takes some experimentation as to how short to trim the spacer for maximum opening without binding at the top which is based on overall height of the glass itself.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"It is a more modern look and style so years down the road your rig will look more up-to-date if the RV industry goes the way of frameless windows."

Or look more dated when they go back to framed windows. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
"seems like to me.... In my opinion..... i think.....seems logical that....."
Ignore those knee-jerk poster forum user post, haha. You need experienced answers.

I have the frameless windows so am responding.
#1. they look great IMO.
#2. they do have good air flow.
No, they do not open wide, but they do open all the way across the opening. Direct winds against the camper will not just pass through perfectly, but air will be forced through nonetheless because it has no where else to go. Like water down a drain, it will go on through assuming there is a window on the other side open, or at least the roof vent.

#3. Also, you can get double insulated glass in the frameless version.

It is a more modern look and style so years down the road your rig will look more up-to-date if the RV industry goes the way of frameless windows.

I like that in order to break into an open window one would actually have to break something on frameless, not just scratch open a screen, to get in...

**edit
Actual window opening and the given size of a window do not match, but do for the example...

so, if you had a small window, 18x22 in frameless and the window pane is 3 inches out at the bottom, 0 at the top. Then the math is( (3x18/2) + (3x22)) ) for square inches of opening. Divided by 2 because of the 3 to 0 angle which averages to 1.5 or just divide by two.
about 93 sq inches.
4 inches out at the bottom and changes to 114
5 and 155.

same size window in a slider opening 40% = 18x22x0.4=158

So, depending entirely on how far open the frameless window opens then the actual "opening" might be about the same. If it opens 5 inches and if the old-style slider opens 40% then this is 155 vs 158 sq inches that the air can flow through.

If the window is oriented 90 degrees rotated then it drops to 112 sq in, so less, then it is 112 vs 158. You would need frameless opening of 6 at the bottom to give 174 sq in which is then more than the slider...

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JKJavelin wrote:
We have frameless windows, and 3 of them are emergency exits that can swing wide open but the handles are short. I made props out of PVC so they can now open wide.
JK

I would be scared the wind would pick up and lift the window enough for that to fall out and then slam it down.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
egarant wrote:
2oldman wrote:
egarant wrote:
The traditional sliding window, my favorite. When open you get what, about 40% open to the air?
One of my sliders is sticking so bad I can hardly open it. Got any tips?

Remove the screen and use a wet microfiber towell to clean the tracks really really good, That did it for me

3M does make a window slide lubricant that you might try.

Rather than typical liquid lubricants try using candle wax.

Clean the track well with a cloth then rub a candle over the track, may take a couple of times but it should eventually stop getting stuck..

Candle wax since it is dry does not attract or hold dirt/dust and cleans easily.

Candle wax also works great on sticking zippers (rub candle over the length of the zipper a couple of times and zipper should move easily after that), very useful for driving long wood screws (rub wax on the screw threads then drive home)..

Most liquid lubricants attract and hold dirt and dust or evaporate over time.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have framless in the 5th wheel, I find you get a fair amount of flow but you have to open a bunch up. the slide has normal slide windows so I can open thoes also.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Frameless are easy to clean , attractive, dont open much. Road debris has broken 3 of ours, in over 50k miles.
tempered glass cant take a hit on the exposed edge. Fixing at a local shop was much cheaper than a replacement from Heil. Ordered glass from a shop, replaced it our selves. small job.
We like them.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the sliding windows and now Hehr frameless. The sliders probably offer more ventilation but I can turn on the bathroom fantastic fan and create a pretty good breeze. Need more ventilation, open the door. The frameless offers the ability to open when raining. Another point, moot for some, the frameless windows make it extraordinarily easy to buff off water spots. Where I live, that is a big deal.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman, try to clean the tracks that they slid in, then spray with heavy duty silicon and work back and forth.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
egarant wrote:

Remove the screen and use a wet microfiber towell to clean the tracks really really good, That did it for me

3M does make a window slide lubricant that you might try.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We have the frameless windows that crank out about four inches at the bottom. The air flow is terrible.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"