Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equalizer hitch issue - Outside link plate

jimmyk
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings--

I've recently purchased a 10,000 lb Equalizer hitch and installed the mounting brackets onto my trailer frame. However, I'm concerned that the outside link plate is the wrong part as it is missing the recess/pockets where the heads of the upper and lower bolts go in so they can be flush with the surface of the plate. Is this a new design for the EQ hitch or did they send me the wrong plate? I don't like the way this has ended up which is causing the L bracket to bend on the top and the two L bracket nuts not being threaded enough to the bolts. See images below:

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Looking at the Equalizer parts list, the outside bracket part number is 90-02-5370 and you can see the recess pockets where the bolt head sits:

Mine does not have those pockets.

Has anyone seen this before? I purchased the hitch over a year ago but didn't install it till recently so I think I'm out of any warranty/returns period.

TIA,
Jimmy
2018 RAM 1500
2018 Roo 23IKSS Hybrid
Equalizer WD and sway control
3 REPLIES 3

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jimmy,
Mine is about 6 years old and has the pocket like shown in your photo. EQ will make it right for you if they boxed the wrong part.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jimmyk
Explorer
Explorer
^^^

Thank you for your quick reply. Will do.
2018 RAM 1500
2018 Roo 23IKSS Hybrid
Equalizer WD and sway control

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
I looked at your image and I would not use it like that. Call Equalizer Monday morning. They answer the phone and are very help full. The tech will also give you an email address to forward your picture to.

Also, while you are at it you may consider changing all the hardware, I upgraded all mine to grade eight bolts, washers and Nylock nuts. All available at McMaster Carr.