cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dumping tanks- Waiting lines

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please humor me this venting rant. If your are guilty of the two items I mention below, I'm sorry for my name calling. If you, like I, are one of the people that try to be prepared when it is your turn at the dump station, a big thank you for being considerate to your fellow RVer's.

When I go camping for the weekend, especially a holiday weekend, I expect that there will be significant lines for the dump station. I know some people that get up at the crack of dawn to get camp broken down so they can beat the rush at check out time. That kind of "hurry up" mode kind of kills the relaxation I hopefully had during my camping trip so I've never been one of those folks.

I got up, woke the daughter, ate a little breakfast and we started our leisurely breakdown of camp and got hooked up. Pulled around to the dump station around 1130 (1300 checkout)and surprisingly, it wasn't that bad of a line. About 10-12 units I'd estimate. Kicked on the tunes and did the position crawl, moving up a spot about every 3-5 minutes or so (two dump hookups).

So as I get close enough to the dump station that I can see the people dumping, I'm watching and see some of them as they are next to dump, come out and get their compartment door opened, some even pulling their sewer hose out and putting it in the back of their truck and getting their gloves on. Tip of the hat to those folks for being ready when it was their turn!

I also see two people that go in their camper and not even aware the people that were in front of them are gone and it's their turn to pull up. I'm not talking about 30-45 seconds. I mean the person behind them had to go knock on their camper door after about 3-4 minutes and inform them they needed to pull up and dump or get out of line!

I also witnessed someone take out the screen from their window to their bathroom I'm assuming to run a hose through it for a tank wand flush, that they must have run for 7-8 minutes if it was a second. How clean does your black tank have to be? 25 minutes this guy was at the dump station while 4 people dumped in the station next to him. The most frustrating part was his female companion (Wife/Girlfriend/Whoever) had to come talk to him about something about every 3-4 minutes at which point he stopped whatever he was doing at the time.

My term for such people are Obliviots. Again sorry for the name calling but you really need to be more considerate of others. Maybe you can be observant and be ready when it's your turn like 95% of people do? Maybe you can skip the snack or drink refill from inside the camper until you pull out of line after dumping? I'm sure someone will say, I'll take as long as I need when it's my turn. And I have no problem with that. Just don't take multiples of what you need, please? Show some consideration for the folks behind you?

No Obliviots we killed or injured in preparation of this rant. If I can convince one Obliviot to look in the mirror, self identify and make an effort to be more considerate of others, this has all be worth it.

Thank You!
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.
75 REPLIES 75

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
Add to the list of "obliviots" : the family that came to an outdoor Memorial Day Concert at the local town square here. They get there late, then proceed to set up an 8' diameter patio umbrella so they can sit in the shade.

I keep thinking, "Just how would that work if everyone did that?" But then, Obliviots must believe they are special.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a question here. What would be wrong with waiting till the next weekend to dump tanks? There is usually absolutely no line on Friday. Happy camping, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Paid storage is necessary evil for me. One good thing about it -the lot has a dump station. It is never busy. I've never waited in line. I either save it for the next night or bring it home and dump it in the storage lot station. In fact lot of times I like to keep the tanks going enroute and dump them at the last minute before storing the RV.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
hey ya never know. if people are becoming more inconsiderate each day, ya think they care about decking a grandma??? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
this isn't Leave it to Beaver times anymore!

No...but that is a lovely dress you are wearing Mrs. Cleaver! -Eddie Haskell.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
hey ya never know. if people are becoming more inconsiderate each day, ya think they care about decking a grandma??? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
this isn't Leave it to Beaver times anymore!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
So I finished my dump today at CW, I knew the tank had only drained about half it's contents at the SP dump station. local CW dump station is located outside their fenced lot. Got there a little after 6:00 pm no one else there. Blocked the low side as pad tilts slightly away from drain, hooked up flusher hose, connected slinky and opened valve, NaDa, turned on flusher took a couple minutes and the blocking wad came out. spent 10 to 15 minutes flushing tank to clean water.
Just as I was disconnecting, up drives a guy with his TT in tow,hope he had as relaxing time as I did!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
Sorry -- this is where I part ways with you all. If someone is discourteous enough to EAT while people are in line and can't move on, then YES, I WILL go up and speak to them. Too many people let discourteous and deplorable behavior slide by which is interpreted to be acceptable behavior. I'll still have a good weekend and hopefully, the idiot will learn some manners.

That behavior, by the lunching couple is not understandable.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
(Obliviate -- I, too, am so stealing that term. I'd like to propose an addition: Inconsiderate Obliviate.)
It's obliviot, as in idiot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
:B, lol

be careful on these confrontations. you know nowadays people just don't take your opinions or mouth with a nod and acceptance. someone might haul off and deck ya ๐Ÿ™‚

I get tired of everyone policing the world of manners. mind your own business is a good one to remember in that world also! not every situation, but many times it is better to keep your mouth shut or someone might shut it for ya ๐Ÿ™‚
LOL and hit this little ole gray haired lady????????????? yeah, you're probably right
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
:B, lol

be careful on these confrontations. you know nowadays people just don't take your opinions or mouth with a nod and acceptance. someone might haul off and deck ya ๐Ÿ™‚

I get tired of everyone policing the world of manners. mind your own business is a good one to remember in that world also! not every situation, but many times it is better to keep your mouth shut or someone might shut it for ya ๐Ÿ™‚

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
Sorry -- this is where I part ways with you all. If someone is discourteous enough to EAT while people are in line and can't move on, then YES, I WILL go up and speak to them. Too many people let discourteous and deplorable behavior slide by which is interpreted to be acceptable behavior. I'll still have a good weekend and hopefully, the idiot will learn some manners.

Kind of brings new meaning to the quote:

"All it takes for Evil to prevail at the poop dump station is for good men and women to do nothing." :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
The only behavior one is able to control is his own. Getting angry or frustrated just doubles the effect the other person has on you. He wins twice, because Now he's made you to wait in line...AND you have chosen to make yourself angry and frustrated.

that is so true!! worry about your own control. great point.

I guess to a point, but I personally believe that you train people to treat you the way you want. If no-one ever says anything then they'll never improve because they always get away with it. I personally prefer to call people on their BS, I'm fine with confrontation.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
down home wrote:
We seldom have to use a dump station. Last time was at the factory, in middle,of afternoon. One other guy there. A jerk came there and expected us to get out, of his way so he could dump.
(snip) We ignored him long enough to get the black tank drained but not flushed. He sat on his horn.
He's lucky you're a nice guy. I will move Heaven and Earth to get out of the way when someone is waiting patiently for their turn. For the guy you describe... I'd have stayed there until his horn melted, his rig ran out of gas, he died of old age, until the sun burned out and Jesus returned.

If you're nice to me, I'm doubly nice in return. If you're a big jerk, I can pay that back in spades as well.

The natural tendency is to sett them in their place. I try to ignore these kind of people. I don't associate with them. they don't need to be a blip on the scope. I should have ignored him and flushed the black and gray tanks. I've been getting rather loose lately though. A guy caused wife to slam on brakes twice yesterday. She hit the horn. He flipped us off. As traffic changed we went by and he showed his iq again. I gave him a lecture on hell fire, shaking my finger. It was childish. trying to get back to the