cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumping at Home

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I considered putting this on the multi-page Dump Station Observations topic, but maybe I’ll just let that sleeping dog lie.

You guys have actually been a source of amusement and encouragement to me for the past week or so, as I’ve been fixing a problem with my septic system at home. Reading that topic has made me not hate so much the obvious downside of sewer work, and appreciate even more what I’m going to end up with after fixing and improving my home system.

So......I decided what the heck, I’m just going to “pollute” this topic with some pictures of my work. Throw a bunch of “stuff” up against the wall and see what sticks. Hopefully, things won’t get too stinky in the process. :W

There’s a seven year back-story that goes with this, and I’ll try to tell that as briefly as possible.

- In 2013 we tore down our garage. A two car, flat roof, former open carport monstrosity on a bad foundation. This was taken the day I started tearing it down, and you can see just a bit of my camper sitting downhill on an asphalt pad.

The new garage has a new bay big enough to put my truck with the camper on it inside, but because of the hillside, the floor of this new RV bay is seven feet lower than where the cars park. Here’s a picture of what we ended up with, and if you look closely, you can see a white PVC pipe sticking up just off the concrete apron near the tree.

That’s my RV dump station, and the reason it’s there is because the septic tank behind the garage was only “downhill” from the house and upper bay. The RV bay was lower than the septic tank, and as we all know, stuff won’t flow uphill. I’ve used this dump station many times over the past seven years. It’s not ideal because the apron isn’t level, but it works much better than nothing at all.

- About three years ago, we started having some issues with the septic tank, and it became apparent that we needed to replace it. Rather than installing the new tank in the same place, we put it further downhill. Now, the new tank is lower than the RV bay. Ever since then, Ive wished I had a dump station that I could use from the RV bay, but there wasn’t any way to get the stinky slinky over to the new tank, that was literally less than 20 ft away.

- About a year ago, I discovered that there was a problem with the sewer pipe going into the new tank. The hole dug for the new tank was pretty big and deep, and there was a lot of associated digging between the tank and the house to hook it up. The ground settled a lot around the tank, and caused a Y joint about three feet uphill from the tank to settle and break. The only indication I had that anything was wrong was how the inlet pipe looked inside the tank. It appeared to be pointing slightly up instead of being almost level, and I knew it didn’t look like that when it was installed. It wasn’t causing any backups, but I knew there had to be a low spot in the line that needed to be fixed, and I confirmed that with a wireless borescope camera.

This picture was taken when the new tank was installed, and the Y joint at the feet of the guy bending over is what settled. It didn’t actually break, it pulled a glue joint apart so that it was open on the bottom.

- Since I’ve had a lot of spare time on my hands this year 😞 I’ve been able to brainstorm about how I could make a new dump station along with this repair that I knew needed to get done. The first thing I did was put a door in the garage wall behind where my camper sits. This isn’t a primary entry/exit door, so I left the cinder block wall below it.

Then I bought a 5” wet diamond core drill and an adapter so I could use it with my 1/2” drill, and cut a hole in the cinder blocks below the door opening. Then I mortared in a short pass-through pipe with a cap on the outside.

Then I started the fun part about the same time the Dump Station Observations topic showed up. I hired a guy to work with me digging the hole, and got the pipe exposed.

We had to cut about 3” off of the pipe going into the tank, and pull it back up so that it had the right slope into the tank, and then rebuild the line going to the house with rigid connections. That changed the relationship of the Y fitting to the line coming from under the garage just enough that I wasn’t going to be able to get perfect alignment without digging up a lot more of that line than I wanted to. I also wanted to insert another Y in that line so I could have a “clean out” nearby. We exposed a few more feet of the garage sewer line and cut it back to minimize the misalignment, then reconnected it using two rubber Fernco fittings. That may not be strictly to code, but considering what that part of the system is for I’m not going to loose sleep over it. Found my phone line, too. :M

To (hopefully) prevent any more settling, I poured some concrete under the new lines in three spots. The concrete is on undisturbed soil, so it “shouldn’t” sink.

I’ll be filling the hole in today, taking more care than the tank installers did. I’ll cut the new dump station pipe down once the grade is set around it.

So........all that is to say: I sure am glad I won’t have an audience while I’m dumping at home! :W

Just kidding of course. Feel free to come watch anytime!

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!
30 REPLIES 30

dedmiston
Not sure how this shifted from such a friendly thread into the septic-slinging that it is now.

Santa texted me and said that some of you are on the naughty list now.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

False! With the right soil for the lateral field, a properly sized, built and used system does not need pumped, and will not "foul the area", and never need pumped.
The underground tank holds water and bacteria that breaks down the sewage to nutrients. The liquid bearing the nutrients is dispersed over a area and vegetation uses the water and nutrients.
What happen to the stuff pumped out of the tanks? It is dumped into another system that is hopefully big enough, and maintained well enough to break it down. And the expensive part of that maintenance is removing stuff that should never be in it.

This might help you. On second thought, I guess not.

For a couple of hundred years septic systems have been used that did not need pumped, did not need pumps to work. But they did not dump snot in there to kill the bacteria. In a lot of rural areas of the country, systems where put in half a century or longer back, and have never needed any attention other than watch what is but in.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

False! With the right soil for the lateral field, a properly sized, built and used system does not need pumped, and will not "foul the area", and never need pumped.
The underground tank holds water and bacteria that breaks down the sewage to nutrients. The liquid bearing the nutrients is dispersed over a area and vegetation uses the water and nutrients.
What happen to the stuff pumped out of the tanks? It is dumped into another system that is hopefully big enough, and maintained well enough to break it down. And the expensive part of that maintenance is removing stuff that should never be in it.

This might help you. On second thought, I guess not.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
...........Hopefully, things won’t get too stinky in the process. :W

Yeah, I said that.

Let’s keep it fresh, guys. Keep it fresh and fragrant. :B

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Septic experts———one of my country homes has not been pumped since 1950 when it was installed. Home up North is right now at 50 years with 2 houses on it and this one here is right now at 14 years. We don’t abuse them and these 40–45ft DPs hold a lot of sewage, not water, that needs to be broken down. 4 showers or baths is all water not the likely contents of an RV black tank. Anyway we take care and don’t abuse ours. You can do as you like.

You are the reason that laws have been written to compel owners to do the right thing and pump the tanks before the entire system fouls the area.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Septic experts———one of my country homes has not been pumped since 1950 when it was installed. Home up North is right now at 50 years with 2 houses on it and this one here is right now at 14 years. We don’t abuse them and these 40–45ft DPs hold a lot of sewage, not water, that needs to be broken down. 4 showers or baths is all water not the likely contents of an RV black tank. Anyway we take care and don’t abuse ours. You can do as you like.

You are the reason that laws have been written to compel owners to do the right thing and pump the tanks before the entire system fouls the area.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I would never overwhelm my septic in the country by dumping my tanks in there. On the other hand when we built the house in town we installed a dump connection into the public sewer and enough slab to park our 40ft DP. Sure comes in handy even though the DP stays out in the country most of the time.

You’d have to have a VERY small or incorrectly installed or otherwise dilapidated septic to not handle a couple tanks of water.
Besides, if you’re dumping in there, you likely weren’t introducing anything into the septic or ground while you were away...
How is it different than the whole family taking say 4 showers, 2 at a time back to back?

Flawed logic here unless my first statement has merit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
No clue. :h

I’m just happy it doesn’t look like this. :W

I think Clyde Crashcup ran all that conduit. Or, waterlines???

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
That is for training of code inspectors.

Jerry

What???
I only see one minor problem.......
Just a little up-slope on that one drain line.
Other than that, it looks good! :B

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I would never overwhelm my septic in the country by dumping my tanks in there. On the other hand when we built the house in town we installed a dump connection into the public sewer and enough slab to park our 40ft DP. Sure comes in handy even though the DP stays out in the country most of the time.

Our rural cottage septic system was designed to handle a 100 gallon "instant" inrush. Dumping 60 gallons of black and grey water isn't a problem.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That is for training of code inspectors.

Jerry

WT heck?
Gotta wonder what on earth that mess is all about! Wow!
:E:E
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
No clue. :h

I’m just happy it doesn’t look like this. :W