cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct TV deadline April 30. 2019

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Hello just wondering if you received this message in your email like I have and what you did about it?

"Starting on 4/30/19, you will no longer be able to view your DIRECTV programming with your current equipment. But don't worry, we've got you covered! All you need to do is call us to schedule your free installation for your new equipment. Your new equipment will provide you with HD service at no additional cost.* "

JimR
20 REPLIES 20

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
I don't know why DTV dishes can't be set up like Dish Network where you can watch any of the 3 satellites, just not all at once with dishes like the G2 or King Quest. I have upgraded all the receivers including the 2 in the MH. Don't really want to spend $1500 on a Traveler or RF Mogul, The programs we watch most of the time are just not available on OTA stations.

DirecTV uses two different satellite transmission frequency bands, the KU band for SD and the KA band for HD. Basically, two different antennas that require two different LNB's to receive both SD and HD. Since the domes only use one LNB, the KU LNB was chosen to cover the most subscribers. Dish, on the other hand, uses KU for both SD and HD, so there is no issue there with either one. Whether Winegard or King will come out with a KA only capable dome at some point is in their crystal ball, not mine...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Currently using the Kingquest antenna for direct tv wit( the HR2400 series receiver...The display in SD is just fine, the program guide, etc is quite legible so not sure about 9ne of the other c9mments regarding this...

If you call DTV ten times in one hour and inquire about SD broadcast ending dates you will get ten different answers...

Currently the Kingquest setup.. portable works fine for me.. if the6 drop the SD broadcast and Kingquest can’t update my current auto dish I will go tripod and dish setup for HD..

Roof mounted units out here in the thick pine trees of Idaho would be useless.. tha5s why I like portable so I can move the antenna around for clear line of sight..

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
lol satellite tv

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbp111 wrote:
I recently purchased a Winegard portable antenna (a G2). The antenna says that it does not carry HD but rather carries SD.
Does that mean the G2 won't be any good at all?

Unless it will do DISH Network, you are toasted.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why DTV dishes can't be set up like Dish Network where you can watch any of the 3 satellites, just not all at once with dishes like the G2 or King Quest. I have upgraded all the receivers including the 2 in the MH. Don't really want to spend $1500 on a Traveler or RF Mogul, The programs we watch most of the time are just not available on OTA stations.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a Winegard portable antenna (a G2). The antenna says that it does not carry HD but rather carries SD.
Does that mean the G2 won't be any good at all?

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
AT&T has long let us known they are going to discontinue SD and go all HD.. THis is clearly what it's talking about.

Of course if you use an In-Motion DOME type antenna.. Well they do NOT have you covered for I know of no IN-Motion that receives teh HD birds.. But hey.. Not my problem My Problem is finding time to watch all the FREE TV I get with my Batwing.

The tracvision HD7 is in-motion and is HD.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
AT&T has long let us known they are going to discontinue SD and go all HD.. THis is clearly what it's talking about.

Of course if you use an In-Motion DOME type antenna.. Well they do NOT have you covered for I know of no IN-Motion that receives teh HD birds.. But hey.. Not my problem My Problem is finding time to watch all the FREE TV I get with my Batwing.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Direct TV just changed their GUIDE and LIST screen formats. The results being they are almost unreadable with HD TV. Don't know how you could decipher them with an SD TV. I hope Direct TV listens to their customers and bounces back to the old friendlier format.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Hi Folks Thanks for the replies this is an update to my first post.

I do have an old SD receiver and a CRT TV (circa 2007) that is digital so I am in the dark ages a little. I will need to upgrade some electronics in the RV. The TV, dash radio and associated Sirius equipment, CB Radio and NOAA Radio. I also need to take out a VCR and CD player that is new or at least never used. So it is funny how 10 years can get behind you.

I did call DTV and was informed that by this time next year that the SD programing will end and I needed to update my receiver but that the same antenna would work. I do have an H24-100 HD receiver that I had in the house at one time that they said will work but it is 7 years old now. If they brought out a receiver it would be $99.00 but the HD service was no charge.

So bottom line I will start to up date my equipment and then deal with DTV before the deadline or switch as needed to Dish.

JimR

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Please tell me the $15,000.00 is a missprint!!

Not a misprint. $11,500 for the dome and box. $3,500 for install. This would be the only way to get HD on the boat. The other issue is it has a 24” footprint. I will have to move my all light and repair the hardtop fiberglass hole left from the all light base. Basically a PITA if they stop transmitting SD.

Those tracvisons are expensive. Irma sent a palm frond right through my M3. Cost over $1,000 to repair it.

Ken

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Please tell me the $15,000.00 is a missprint!!

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
I just got off the phone with Directv suspending our boat receiver as we leave for Alaska on the 2nd of May.

Our M3 Tracvision only receives SD so this issue is very important to me. I asked the gal if she knew anything. She took the question up to a supervisors level who said at this point no decision has been finalized on suspending SD transmission.

It will cost me over $15,000.00 to upgrade that satellite receiver to an HD7 model so I pray they never suspend the SD transmission.

Ken

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
no.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman