cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did California change its towing laws?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I was in CA heading to San Diego on I-8 last Friday and saw a truck doing a double tow (truck pulling a 5th wheel pulling a boat). All three vehicles had CA license plates. My understanding is this setup is illegal in CA or has the law changed?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE
19 REPLIES 19

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
It hasn't really changed it is just the CA vehicle leaves a huge grey area in its definition that makes it really hard to enforce. The CA code that refers to NOT towing more than one trailer only refers to a passenger vehicle which most of us do not use to tow. I have encountered enforcement stops twice and they would make you separate for being over length (65') but not for the doubles. They would do this for MH's towing trailers as well that were over length. And really looked for triple axle toy haulers (requires a non commercial class A).

Most I know get the class A license with double endorsement to avoid any issues. The doubles or "T" endorsement is just a written exam that you take after completing the class A.

Before they instituted the non commercial class there was a exception that required the first trailer to be a FW and the second could only be a boat. With this now removed one could interpret it to allow pulling two bumper tow trailers. I asked about this to a local DOT officer as to pull two trailers behind a MH and he shook his head and said keep it under 65'.

Then there is the definition of a passenger vehicle.....A 3/4 ton truck is still designed and sold to carry passengers? And/or are there passengers on board? so how does California define passenger vehicle? probably varies from state to state. I could see pickup, especially a crew cab or extended cab being legally classified as a passenger vehicle.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing has changed. Still need a commercial license with a double tow endorsement same as it has been for a long time.

As long as there are no infractions to pull you over and check your license maybe you could get away with it. I recommend getting the proper documentation.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
It hasn't really changed it is just the CA vehicle leaves a huge grey area in its definition that makes it really hard to enforce. The CA code that refers to NOT towing more than one trailer only refers to a passenger vehicle which most of us do not use to tow. I have encountered enforcement stops twice and they would make you separate for being over length (65') but not for the doubles. They would do this for MH's towing trailers as well that were over length. And really looked for triple axle toy haulers (requires a non commercial class A).

Most I know get the class A license with double endorsement to avoid any issues. The doubles or "T" endorsement is just a written exam that you take after completing the class A.

Before they instituted the non commercial class there was a exception that required the first trailer to be a FW and the second could only be a boat. With this now removed one could interpret it to allow pulling two bumper tow trailers. I asked about this to a local DOT officer as to pull two trailers behind a MH and he shook his head and said keep it under 65'.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It's illegal in VA too but I still see it sometimes.

Itakethe5th2011
Explorer
Explorer
Only if you get caught. Just kidding, I believe it's legal if that person has a commercial driver license with a double tow qualification.